You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (A) League Cup 1/4 Final 17/12/19 - 19:45

Bjornebye

10 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Sly saying we've devalued the competition ha ha ha.

From wikipedia, FA cup 1999-2000:

"The title holders Manchester United, withdrew from the 1999–2000 competition due to their participation in the 2000 FIFA Club World Championship in South America, to take place in early 2000,[1] thus becoming the first FA Cup winners not to defend their title."

No comments needed

1 hour ago, Stickman said:

Loving the meltdown on twitter and phone-ins by rival fans who want us to go out of every cup we enter now seem to be mightily upset that we've managed to grant their wishes....

They really are unbearable at times

Evertonians cant talk. Apart from 2009 they've devalued every cup competition since 1995 by not trying to get far in them.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, dylstar said:

Evertonian this morning :VAR not used in the League Cup and Liverpool get smashed 5-0. Quelle surprise.

It puzzles me. If Evertonians or others say VAR benefits us more than others, they're actually saying referees are more likely to make wrong decisions go agianst LFC than any other club in the country. Is that what they really mean?

14 minutes ago, Istvan Kuntstain said:

That's exactly what beak head Bosnich said on talkshite this morning, Alan Brazil then went on some xenophobic rant because Bosnich said he was going to a Lebanese restaurant with a free buffet and didn't invite Brazil

Fixed that for you.

11 hours ago, Stickman said:

One good omen last time we lost by 5 at Villa was in December 1976 and we went on to win the league ...And it was also the 17th December ...

Creepy eh 

11 hours ago, Mudface said:

I remember that- wasn't there some controversy over Keegan gesturing to the the crowd as well?

Not sure about Keegan but I know we were 5-1 down at half time....

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/great-games-aston-villa-5-181147

2 minutes ago, Stickman said:

Not sure about Keegan but I know we were 5-1 down at half time....

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/great-games-aston-villa-5-181147

Yeah, there are some good press cuttings at LFC History too for the game. I vaguely remember Keegan getting in trouble for flicking the V's at the crowd, maybe it was a different game. I definitely remember us getting beat 2-0 at West Ham in the following game, it seemed like the wheels were falling off, hard times for my 9 year old self...

If I'm completely honest, I think we could have won both this, and the CWC. Sending the players that went out to Villa together with the best 14-15 players to Quatar would have covered both bases so to speak. With a different fixture list I think we would have as well. It seems Klopp is mighty annoyed with the two-legged semi-final of the League Cup, though, and in the end he has just decided to fuck it off. I'm a bit sad about this, as I think it would have meant more game-time for players that desperately need it, and looking at the game yesterday I think we missed a trick.

If we'd have kept Adrian, Milner, Lallana, C. Jones, N.Williams and Origi for this one I'm pretty sure we'd got away with the win. We then could have given more gametime to Jones, Williams, Hoever, Origi, Minamino, Chirivella and Elliott in the New Year.

Anyway, I agree with the decision to prioritise the CWC over the LC, but I'm a bit disappointed for the young lads. The Arsenal game earlier this season was probably the funniest (least stressful) win we had all season as well! Would have liked a couple more of those occasions.

3 minutes ago, lebron said:

If I'm completely honest, I think we could have won both this, and the CWC. Sending the players that went out to Villa together with the best 14-15 players to Quatar would have covered both bases so to speak. With a different fixture list I think we would have as well. It seems Klopp is mighty annoyed with the two-legged semi-final of the League Cup, though, and in the end he has just decided to fuck it off. I'm a bit sad about this, as I think it would have meant more game-time for players that desperately need it, and looking at the game yesterday I think we missed a trick.

If we'd have kept Adrian, Milner, Lallana, C. Jones, N.Williams and Origi for this one I'm pretty sure we'd got away with the win. We then could have given more gametime to Jones, Williams, Hoever, Origi, Minamino, Chirivella and Elliott in the New Year.

Anyway, I agree with the decision to prioritise the CWC over the LC, but I'm a bit disappointed for the young lads. The Arsenal game earlier this season was probably the funniest (least stressful) win we had all season as well! Would have liked a couple more of those occasions.

A competition that goes on every year with automatic entry which we've won 8 times versus one we haven't won but entry is only by being European Champions,the last time being 14 years ago. Its a no brainer for me.

• Upvote 1

The player Elliot most reminds me of, in terms of style and arrogance, if not ability, is Beckham. Obviously not saying he’s in anything like the same league or ever will be. And yes, I know he’s left footed. I’m hoping he’s a bit quicker than that. At present the role I could see him playing in our 1st team would be Shaqiri’s in a 4-2-3-1. I wonder if we can make him into a Robbo understudy (more like a left footed Trent)?

12 minutes ago, lebron said:

You don’t know how we train though.  We might require a lot of reserves to train the first 11.  It’s okay saying we only need 15 players or take a load of kids to play in matches/tactical situations against the first team but there’s a reason we don’t play like any other team and win so many games and it’s clearly how Klopp trains us.

Klopp’s tactic since we walked through the door has been to bin off both the league cup and the FA cup.  He’s took shit for it every season.  Plenty of fans wanking themselves off with how good we are now and winning the CL but they were happy to put pressure on the club and Klopp for correctly prioritising the league and the CL.  The club is now in the position it is in because of those decisions.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

Klopp likes to ease his players in slowly, even some of the senior ones, so I doubt we'll see much of this kid in the league. I think he's odds on to play a big part in the F.A cup though. Who knows, if we carry on winning in the league and others drop points we could get to see him at the back end of the season a bit, at the very least as an option from the bench. 

4 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

The player Elliot most reminds me of, in terms of style and arrogance, if not ability, is Beckham. Obviously not saying he’s in anything like the same league or ever will be. And yes, I know he’s left footed. I’m hoping he’s a bit quicker than that. At present the role I could see him playing in our 1st team would be Shaqiri’s in a 4-2-3-1. I wonder if we can make him into a Robbo understudy (more like a left footed Trent)?

I just don’t see that.  Elliott can dribble for a start.  He prefers to play one twos on the edge of the box or intricate, eye of the needle passes instead of crosses.  Beckham was an excellent crosser of the ball and excelled playing in a 442. As soon as he got too big for his boots he thought he was a centre midfielder and his career in terms of level of performance on the pitch went downhill from there.  He stopped doing what he was good at coming inside and trying to be a playmaker.

Guest Pistonbroke
38 minutes ago, Anubis said:

MOTD asked people on Twitter what they thought of us fielding a weakened side. Worth it just for the amount of piss it has boiled. If I knew that was all it took to trigger them I’d have been advocating playing the U12s every year.

The transformation of the BBC going from a reputable organisation to full on Trolls is almost complete.