You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Aston Villa (A) League Cup 1/4 Final 17/12/19 - 19:45

Bjornebye

We all want to win every cup we go in but if we had gone through tonight a two legged semi final in January against City , Utd or Everton isn't what we need if we we want to end the 30 year wait.

Weakened team or not .

Kids played well tonight and didn't deserve that sort of score but on the plus side Elliott looks a special talent .

• Upvote 2

Obviously Elliot and Hoever are huge talents. Some good showings from a few of the younger lads as well. Chirivella did well, hopefully interesting someone for January. Kane was unlucky not to score, but should also be off on loan at least - good League one/Championship player but don't think he'll improve much more here. I like Gallacher as well, but didn't realise he was 20, should be playing football properly soon.

Boyes looked much more assured in the second half. Showed he can play and I think may have put the ball in for Kane's chance.

Did well overall, the scoreline flattered Villa and they kept at it. Villa gave them plenty of time on the ball in the second half as the game was over, but they still acquitted themselves well.

22 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Fair fucks to the fans who went all that way on a cold night, knowing that we'd likely get bummed. 

Yep this. 

Poetic justice if it so happens that us v them at Anfield is the game we could seal the title and also relegate these scruffy brummie bastards back to the play-off battle league. 

• Upvote 2

By the sounds of it, our lot were extremely unfortunate. They certainly gave a good account of themselves despite the scoreline. They didn't retreat into their shell and allow themselves to be completely annihilated. Villa's goalkeeper was in with a shout for MOTM which says an awful lot. It's a good experience for these guys to go up against much more experienced players as it's a world away from playing against fellow youngsters in the U18s and U23s all the time.

As for the scheduling, at the very least it would make sense for the EFL to allow an English club to opt out of the League Cup if they won the Champions League the previous year, because it throws up another set of obligations that cannot be overcome. The club is either forced to field a severely weakened team if they successfully negotiate their way to the quarter finals of the League Cup, or they simply do it much earlier and let themselves get knocked out without a whimper. Either way, it only adds to the feeling that the competition isn't worth much. I don't like that idea because we have won it more than anyone else and we are close to double figures in wins. I don't know about you lot but I would like to see the numbers change on that Champion's Wall on a regular basis.

Guest Pistonbroke

Watched this at a mates house and thought the youngsters gave a good account of themselves. Had just as much possession if not more and created just as many chances. The only difference being Villa took theirs. Nothing to be ashamed of despite the result, especially when you realise where most of these youngsters are in their fledgling careers. Felt sorry for Elliot at the end, he was our best player by far and had nothing to be gutted about, although showing such passion will stand him well for his future career. Their keeper pulled off a few good saves at the start, who knows what might have happened if those early chances were converted. 

Bizarre that I thoroughly enjoyed watching us play in a game we lost 5-0 in. 

Bossed it in may ways and at 2-0, I reckon if we'd scored next we'd have won it, such was our control & Villa's shitness. 

A few looked a bit raw, a few mistakes here & there, but as mentioned Eliott looks class, Hoever looks like he'll make it, and quite a few of the rest were very tidy. As they develop, physically, they'll all have bright futures in the game you'd imagine. 

21 minutes ago, Stickman said:

One good omen last time we lost by 5 at Villa was in December 1976 and we went on to win the league ...And it was also the 17th December ...

Creepy eh 

I remember that- wasn't there some controversy over Keegan gesturing to the the crowd as well?

I only watched the extended highlight but from there it looks like the kids played well. They should be proud of themselves and certainly didn't deserve the scoreline. 

And Elliot, he looks ready for the senior team isn't he? Why haven't we seen him in the league? Fantastic talent, what a performance. With him and Minamino, the backup for the front three is pretty much sorted. 

5 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

The 2 legged semi final should be fucked off from this competition. Just play the game at a neutral venue but not Wembley. 

You just KNOW our semi final would be at OT. No thanks. 

*I had to append the word "final" to "semi". Come on. You know.