You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

1 minute ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

So, the point of your post is...?

That once again, JCs leadership has been shown to be pretty shite.  

That RR wasn’t hysterical or making stuff up

and that a senior member of the LP was promoted into investigating AS days after libelling someone who was critical of the handling of AS.  

6 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

That once again, JCs leadership has been shown to be pretty shite.  

That RR wasn’t hysterical or making stuff up

and that a senior member of the LP was promoted into investigating AS days after libelling someone who was critical of the handling of AS.  

That's not really what happened, is it.

Riley's tweet clearly drew parallels between egging Nazis and the assault on Jeremy Corbyn.  Murray tweeted

Today Jeremy Corbyn went to his local mosque for Visit My Mosque Day, and was attacked by a Brexiteer.

Rachel Riley tweets that Corbyn deserves to be violently attacked because he is a Nazi.

This woman is as dangerous as she is stupid. Nobody should engage with her. Ever.

The hearing never considered any questions of Riley being hysterical or making stuff up.  And it certainly never considered any questions of anti-Semitism.  It simply said that the second and third lines of the tweet were defamatory.  (As it happens, from what I've seen of Riley's whining she is fond of a bit of hysteria and making stuff up.  She's a dickhead.)  For what it's worth, my view is that the second line is not an unreasonable inference from Riley's tweet (but that tweet wasn't quoted by Riley, so any defence referring to the context isn't admissible) and the third line is just an angry person's opinion.

The fact that some celebrity off the telly chats shit about the Labour Party shouldn't affect Labour Party decisions about who they appoint to any posts.

The fucking hypocrisy !!!! Ive just seen her tweet about it. For defaming her??!! The fucking bitch tweeted a t-shirt of Corbyn attending an anti-apartheid protest and had changed it calling him an anti-semite!!!! What a fucking disgrace this shit is. Cant say a fucking thing against a jewish person without being wrongly accused of anti-semitism. Its a fucking joke. The horrible fucking bitch. Look at all the comments after it as well. Disgusting pieces of hypocritical shit. 

Have just looked at the Riley court thing, if this is right Murray left herself open to that because the second line, "Rachel Riley tweets that Corbyn deserves to be violently attacked because he is a Nazi" didn't even exist so would've been an issue in court surely : https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/rachel-riley-instructs-mark-lewis-to-pursue-libel-claim-against-corbyn-staffer-laura-murray-1.480971

Riley is clearly a total cunt simply for the "good advice" bit though because it's obvious what she meant.

32 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Have just looked at the Riley court thing, if this is right Murray left herself open to that because the second line, "Rachel Riley tweets that Corbyn deserves to be violently attacked because he is a Nazi" didn't even exist so would've been an issue in court surely : https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/rachel-riley-instructs-mark-lewis-to-pursue-libel-claim-against-corbyn-staffer-laura-murray-1.480971

Riley is clearly a total cunt simply for the "good advice" bit though because it's obvious what she meant.

Murray should have just said "Riley is a snide cunt". That would have stood up in court.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SasaS said:

Is discussing Rachel Riley and Jeremy Corbyn again the sign things are slowly getting back to normal and that everything will be OK?

In 5 mins a management accountant will

be along to say libel is shit and Jess Philips could have killed Corbyn if that knife had been an inch to the left. 

I cant imagine any of us here in Corbyns place not having several chats with Sue, Grabbit and Run with the attacks he fielded , yet he went down the route of free speech , whereas Riley appears quite happy to post inflammatory statements and pictures,  yet runs screaming to the law if anybody looks at her sideways.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, sir roger said:

I cant imagine any of us here in Corbyns place not having several chats with Sue, Grabbit and Run with the attacks he fielded , yet he went down the route of free speech , whereas Riley appears quite happy to post inflammatory statements and pictures,  yet runs screaming to the law if anybody looks at her sideways.

The law doesn’t rule on sideways looks.  Only defamation. 

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

She isn't alone in that. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quite funny seeing the likes of Dan Hodges and Co defending Michael Gove and Sarah Vine for having a copy of Holocaust denier David Irving on their bookshelf.....

I'm not going to say what would have happened if Corbyn had a copy of it in his house but we all know how that would have gone down

Meh.

The original use of the word "troll" on the internet didn't just mean abusing people (as it is now commonly understood); it meant posting stuff for no other reason than starting a shitstorm and getting your jollies off the reaction.

Sarah Vine is a troll.

Rather interesting timing don’t you think? Not sure another Formby will give us the best chance considering she was the GS for the worst performance in living memory. Personally, I hope it’s not anyone like her or McNicol. 

What’s the score with a replacement anyway, can Starmer appoint one or does it need an NEC majority to approve? I know you need a majority to remove a GS but not sure on the process of appointing one if the seat is empty. 

Seems that both of Starmers preferred candidates have been compromised by the leaked document so not sure who is in the frame.

Agree with AoT that this is crucial. Any right wing dinosaur and I will probably only hang on for the NEC elections in the autumn and then jib my membership.

1 hour ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Meh.

The original use of the word "troll" on the internet didn't just mean abusing people (as it is now commonly understood); it meant posting stuff for no other reason than starting a shitstorm and getting your jollies off the reaction.

Sarah Vine is a troll.

To be fair she looks like one 

2 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

Meh.

Sarah Vine is a troll.

Yeah she’s disgusting.

2 hours ago, Sugar Ape said:

Rather interesting timing don’t you think? Not sure another Formby will give us the best chance considering she was the GS for the worst performance in living memory. Personally, I hope it’s not anyone like her or McNicol. 

What’s the score with a replacement anyway, can Starmer appoint one or does it need an NEC majority to approve? I know you need a majority to remove a GS but not sure on the process of appointing one if the seat is empty. 

I assumed by “another Formby” AoT meant someone prepared to work with and support the leadership rather than actively undermine it if it’s too left-wing for their liking. Not sure why you’re blaming Formby for the scale of the defeat when you’ve been adamant it was Corbyn’s disastrous leadership that did for Labour.

GS is appointed by a vote of the NEC. Stand by for more infighting over the timetable for the appointment, i.e. whether it happens before or after the full NEC elections in the summer.

11 minutes ago, Neil G said:

I assumed by “another Formby” AoT meant someone prepared to work with and support the leadership rather than actively undermine it if it’s too left-wing for their liking. Not sure why you’re blaming Formby for the scale of the defeat when you’ve been adamant it was Corbyn’s disastrous leadership that did for Labour.

GS is appointed by a vote of the NEC. Stand by for more infighting over the timetable for the appointment, i.e. whether it happens before or after the full NEC elections in the summer.

I didn’t say Formby was to blame for the scale of the defeat so don’t put words into my mouth. Clearly she has some responsibility though.

She was the GS for the worst defeat in living memory. This is a fact. Did I say she was solely responsible? No. To my knowledge I’ve never said Corbyn was solely responsible either. If I was to blame the Corbyn leadership then it would be a collective failure. Corbyn obviously played the main role in my view, but blame can be attached to Formby, Milne, McCluskey, Murphy and other prominent people in charge of the election campaign to varying degrees. 

Obviously there were loads of other factors too, Brexit, media coverage, antisemitism claims etc...  I’m not an idiot who can’t see there is a bigger picture. But, in my opinion, enough polling showed that the Corbyn leadership was the biggest issue for Labour in the election.

And guess what? If Starmer and his GS and top team lead Labour to a defeat anything like the one Corbyn did then I’d want them all to go too. I’m not some ideologue wedded to one particular faction of the party. 

What I think will happen is Starmer will nominate someone miles away from a right wing dinosaur as Sir Roger put it, someone on the ‘soft left’ for want of a better term. Someone will then find a tweet from a couple of years ago that was critical of Corbyn or Abbot or someone else prominently associated with his leadership then there will be a big kerfuffle over Blairites and Tories taking over the Labour Party. I don’t think a person exists that every part of the Labour Party would be happy with so some people are going to be disappointed. 

• Upvote 1