You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

Labour lost because Corbyn wasn't seen as a leader. And whoever came up with the policy of remaining neutral on their own Brexit negotiations needs flaying and then shooting out of a cannon. At a wall. The most insane piece of policy making I've ever seen.

Plus Corbyn really needs to quit now, hanging around like a bad smell will just appear as an attempt to influence the leadership contest.

You’re a complete mong.  The most insane piece of policy making was thinking they could back a second referendum and that the remain vote they would attract would outweigh the leave vote walking away.  Him remaining neutral was clearly the only way he thought he could balance the leave voting opinion in the party so leavers would think the leave option on the second referendum wouldn’t be written by a remainer.  It clearly didn’t go far enough and not surprising really.  Every one with a brain could see the second referendum was going to be remain versus a leave option which was the equivalent of remaining.

Somehow you’ve come away from this thinking he should have backed remaining in the EU whilst pushing a second referendum.  Honestly the stupidity of cranks like you makes my eyes bleed.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

I'd have starmer lead the way for the next few months, even if they leave a full leadership process for the summer. 

The election shouldn't have been about Brexit, unfortunately the next few months are and, considering the result, it's all about scrutiny. He's the most skilled there.

32 minutes ago, The Guest said:

You’re a complete mong.  The most insane piece of policy making was thinking they could back a second referendum and that the remain vote they would attract would outweigh the leave vote walking away.  Him remaining neutral was clearly the only way he thought he could balance the leave voting opinion in the party so leavers would think the leave option on the second referendum wouldn’t be written by a remainer.  It clearly didn’t go far enough and not surprising really.  Every one with a brain could see the second referendum was going to be remain versus a leave option which was the equivalent of remaining.

Somehow you’ve come away from this thinking he should have backed remaining in the EU whilst pushing a second referendum.  Honestly the stupidity of cranks like you makes my eyes bleed.

Negged for the unnecessary insults.

• Upvote 5

On 15/12/2019 at 11:17, Rico1304 said:

A quick look at the literacy rates show they’ve not changed (99%) for 30 years.  

It does show a certain arrogance that you know best and people are too dumb to think for themselves. Maybe the answer not letting them vote at all?  As what would happen if they were educated to the level you deem appropriate and they still didn’t agree with you? 

Its not that I think I am better than them,my education level is the median level I mentioned,its the fact that I,and the likes of Chomsky more so,have seen the same tricks pulled over and over again. Its the same volume of con tricks simply rewritten many times.

The thing I find most incredible is that the working class Brexit voters think that any supposed savings from leaving the EU will go anywhere near them! We are governed by a party who since their inception cut public services simply to fund the wealthy through tax cuts. Why would anybody in their right mind believe that will ever change? Absolutely baffling logic.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Its not that I think I am better than them,my education level is the median level I mentioned,its the fact that I,and the likes of Chomsky more so,have seen the same tricks pulled over and over again. Its the same volume of con tricks simply rewritten many times.

The thing I find most incredible is that the working class Brexit voters think that any supposed savings from leaving the EU will go anywhere near them! We are governed by a party who since their inception cut public services simply to fund the wealthy through tax cuts. Why would anybody in their right mind believe that will ever change? Absolutely baffling logic.

I suppose you need to define ‘the working class’ I know loads of lads who work as plumbers, chippies and sparks who claim to earn £50-60k a year. They’ve got great lives and seem to be boozing by 5 most nights.  

I know blokes who’ve built up building firms who employ those tradesmen and they are doing really well.  They see professional upper class politicians who’ve never had a ‘proper’ job and people fresh out of uni telling them how to think and they think ‘fuck off’. If it goes well they may be a couple of grand better off and of it goes badly they’ll be £60k worse off. Which way would you go? 

• Upvote 1

They will go for a female leader, so that rules out Starmer.

If I could choose anyone for leader not in the running, then I would want Andy Burnham.

Given that's impossible at the moment, I would choose Rayner. I really like her. She's very personable and reckon she could relate to a shitload of voters in regions where Labour lost seats.

There's something Long-Bailey that just doesn't sit right with me. Don't dislike her, just think Rayner offers shitloads more.

Thornbury and Phillips can get fucked as far as I'm concerned. They are both vile in every sense.

12 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Rayner has apparently said that she's putting herself forward for the deputy leader position. There's talk that she's agreed to go for a "double ticket" type deal with RLB, with RLB as party leader. 

Yeah that's been the Momentum plan for ages I think. 

I would prefer it the other way round. I just can't ever see RLB winning an election.

16 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They will go for a female leader, so that rules out Starmer.

If I could choose anyone for leader not in the running, then I would want Andy Burnham.

Given that's impossible at the moment, I would choose Rayner. I really like her. She's very personable and reckon she could relate to a shitload of voters in regions where Labour lost seats.

There's something Long-Bailey that just doesn't sit right with me. Don't dislike her, just think Rayner offers shitloads more.

Thornbury and Phillips can get fucked as far as I'm concerned. They are both vile in every sense.

Testing a lawyers loyalty by ruling him out due to his biological sex. 

9 hours ago, skend04 said:

Labour lost because Corbyn wasn't seen as a leader. And whoever came up with the policy of remaining neutral on their own Brexit negotiations needs flaying and then shooting out of a cannon. At a wall. The most insane piece of policy making I've ever seen.

Labour lost for all sorts of reasons. The years of smears against Corbyn, his lack of natural leadership, The membership being so pro remain, a huge number of working class voters feeling disillusioned by Labour for decades, the list is endless. Labour turned up for a fist fight with their sleeves rolled up. The Tories turned up with a knife and a gun. 

I still think the idea of remaining neutral is sensible though. Look how it played out for Cameron having to try and get working class people to vote with him to remain having just served up 6 years of austerity. One of the main reasons people where I live voted to leave was because they hated Cameron. If Cameron had remained neutral and said I'm staying on regardless, the referendum result would have been a lot closer in my opinion. 

Dunno what I think about the leadership thing. I want to like RLB and Raynor as I'm sure the party wants a female leader. But I just don't see them being sharp enough. They're both ok when they're interviewed, but pretty easily rattled. Starmer will continue this press narrative of the London elite. If he does run for leader, I think Raynor and bailey on big jobs is a must - shadow chancellor and shadow home sec. For me the key is here it needs to be double barrelled. Labour needs to hold this cunt to account and ruthlessly expose him while at the same time work on winning back the traditional labour vote... And not just in England but north of the border. 

38 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

I suppose you need to define ‘the working class’ I know loads of lads who work as plumbers, chippies and sparks who claim to earn £50-60k a year. They’ve got great lives and seem to be boozing by 5 most nights.  

I know blokes who’ve built up building firms who employ those tradesmen and they are doing really well.  They see professional upper class politicians who’ve never had a ‘proper’ job and people fresh out of uni telling them how to think and they think ‘fuck off’. If it goes well they may be a couple of grand better off and of it goes badly they’ll be £60k worse off. Which way would you go? 

They say 'fuck off' and then vote for them? That makes no sense. Nor does voting for Brexit and then making their costs rise,and eating into profits,when they get supplies which are made abroad.

10 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

3 answers, for different reasons, as all have different strengths:

Dan Jarvis

Ex military, white male, not old.  Will bring across a big chunk of the military and police vote. 

Good voting record.

Clive Lewis

Black, male, not old.  I think a lot of BAME voters would respond to a man of colour who they can vote for.

Great orator, a character.

Lewis is a good shout. Not sure about Jarvis. 

Starmer is far too ponderous and stuttery, I really don't think he speaks well (in the parliament environment) at all. 

Those suggesting Burnham, on what basis? He has become the invisible man of Manchester Council, very disappointing.