Quantcast
The New Leader of the Labour Party - Page 78 - GF - General Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Numero

The New Leader of the Labour Party

27 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

This will probably all change post Brexit as I'll swap nationalities and obviously only be able to vote here.

Racist....

44 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

It's impossible/almost impossible to have dual nationality here unless you are from certain countries (ex colonies of Spain). Therefore when I become Spanish I will have to bin off the British passport.

There is a chance this could change, pressure could come from regional governments in the south. 

What colour is the Spanish passport ?

I don't mind changing nationalities but passport colour is a deciding factor for me.

16 minutes ago, Scooby Dudek said:

What colour is the Spanish passport ?

I don't mind changing nationalities but passport colour is a deciding factor for me.

Red, white and blue, mate.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Ed Miliband is back!

451wA05.gif

I don’t mind Ed. He’s always struck me as a decent chap, unlike his cunt of a brother.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jairzinho said:

I think you'll find anti-semitism has finished now.

It doesn't count if its them doing it anyway. 

A tweet from the Evening Standard's cartoonist. 

I mean, nothing says "I'm not an antisemite" more than saying "hey, look at this Jewish man's hooked nose. I was right all along!" 

The Jewish Chronicle being liquidated. 

All the right wing lies and propaganda can't have helped in the long-term. Fuck them. 

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I wonder if they'd still be solvent if they weren't having to pay out settlements for defamation (including to members of the Labour Riverside CLP) all the time? 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/08/jewish-chronicle-and-jewish-news-to-be-liquidated-and-staff-laid-off

Not needed now anti-Semitism* is no longer any issue

*Corbyn

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna side with the cartoonist back up there, sorry. If Miliband or anyone else has a slightly hooked nose it's normal that a caricaturist is going to over exaggerate that, sometimes as much as possible. The only alternative is that they now start making Jewish people that do have even slightly hooked noses have straight ones, which is just fucking stupid and completely world gone mad politically correct.

I mean what can they do here? Do they now have to check everyone they draw that has a hooked nose to see if they're Jewish first so they know not to touch that part of the face?

Now look at the responses to this, he's done Raab who has a Jewish father with a straight nose but they're still having a go even though it isn't hooked at all. Fuck this.

If we've got to the point where Jewish people with hooked noses can't be drawn in cartoon style then it really is fucking stupid.

• Upvote 1

If someone is going to create a Jewish character in a sketch with hooked nose then they're fair game. If they're exaggerating an actual person that already has a slightly hooked nose then I think that's just completely different.

It seems to be the rule that over-exaggerated characteristics in a newspaper cartoon = okay, but over-exaggerated characteristics in a mural = bad, antisemitic. 

It's hard to move away from the conclusion that it's all just a big game, for some. 

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It seems to be the rule that over-exaggerated characteristics in a newspaper cartoon = okay, but over-exaggerated characteristics in a mural = bad, antisemitic. 

It's hard to move away from the conclusion that it's all just a big game, for some.

I think the point with that is that the mural was created characters so if meant to be Jewish they've been created from an actual stereotype, the cartoon is an actual person with a slightly hooked nose. If Miliband's nose was totally straight and the cartoonist turned it hooked I could get it, but clearly that's not the case.

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think the point with that is that the mural was created characters so if meant to be Jewish they've been created from an actual stereotype, the cartoon is an actual person with a slightly hooked nose. If Miliband's nose was totally straight and the cartoonist turned it hooked I could get it, but clearly that's not the case.

To clarify, I wasn't singling you out in my comment. 

Also, I haven't been able to source it, but there's meant to be a quote from the artist of the mural who has said that the character's in the mural were depictions of actual people, not all of them Jewish. 

If that's accurate, aren't they both depictions of actual people, but with exaggerated characteristics?

And, again, if accurate, what would the reaction be if Corbyn came out and tweeted a picture of one of the Jewish people depicted in the mural, saying something like "look, I was right, HE HAS GOT A BIG NOSE!"

• Upvote 1