You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

1 hour ago, Sugar Ape said:

I’m just off to post about who I want for the next Labour leader in the Bernie Sanders thread. 

Some of us first started talking about Sanders and antisemitism in here, didn't even know there was a Sanders thread. And if the next leader is RLB it could still be relevant anyway as she'll be "tainted" because she was a Corbyn/McDonnell pick and it might just be continued.

To be more on topic :

Have seen a lot of support for Starmer on twitter, he keeps beating RLB in polls people are doing. I don't trust him personally and think he's too much of a centrist but whatever. He wants more of a broad church apparently, so if he goes with that it looks like some of the recent manifesto ideas will be dropped to accomodate some of the clowns to the right of the party.

I don't think the manifesto was the problem at all either. I think what lost it was 1) announcing new stuff regularly during campaign (like 50+ billion WASPI payments, etc, but there was loads of other things) which made it unfocused, less believable and unclear how the later additions could be costed, 2) smear campaign, 3) Brexit.

But of course, if you're more of a centrist trying to water things down those 3 won't be focused on as much. The Guardian have been running negative articles on RLB too and I haven't seen a single bad word said about Starmer. If the candidate isn't pissing the Guardian off that's a bit of a red flag I think. Hope I'm proven wrong anyway if he's picked.

28 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Some of us first started talking about Sanders and antisemitism in here, didn't even know there was a Sanders thread. And if the next leader is RLB it could still be relevant anyway as she'll be "tainted" because she was a Corbyn/McDonnell pick and it might just be continued.

To be more on topic :

Have seen a lot of support for Starmer on twitter, he keeps beating RLB in polls people are doing. I don't trust him personally and think he's too much of a centrist but whatever. He wants more of a broad church apparently, so if he goes with that it looks like some of the recent manifesto ideas will be dropped to accomodate some of the clowns to the right of the party.

I don't think the manifesto was the problem at all either. I think what lost it was 1) announcing new stuff regularly during campaign (like 50+ billion WASPI payments, etc, but there was loads of other things) which made it unfocused, less believable and unclear how the later additions could be costed, 2) smear campaign, 3) Brexit.

But of course, if you're more of a centrist trying to water things down those 3 won't be focused on as much. The Guardian have been running negative articles on RLB too and I haven't seen a single bad word said about Starmer. If the candidate isn't pissing the Guardian off that's a bit of a red flag I think. Hope I'm proven wrong anyway if he's picked.

I'm like you, still a little suspicious of Starmer. But a 'compromise' candidate would probably be for the best now, and he certainly looks a safe pair of hands- the article in the Guardian the other day was very promising. Long-Bailey doesn't grab me at all, and Rayner looks to want the deputy leader position, so for me, Starmer's the best option.

31 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

To be more on topic :

Starmer is head and shoulders above the other candidates.

11 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

From the inside Starmer will not get it. This  is from somebody in the know who I got very drunk last night. Sorry to burst bubbles.

’They’ are determined to have a female and the unions don’t want Starmer.

The wilderness awaits.

So basically the future leadership of our country is being thrashed out in For Your Eyes Only. 

Kinda makes me feel a bit better. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Doubt that would've happened if he wasn't supported by Murdoch. I'm sure you know that though.

Just now, Nelly-Torres said:

It's definitely the Gnasher crew running that DemAntisemitism account. 

Could be, loads of people are calling them out at the moment and it's not working but if they're determined it might get worse over time as other media idiots decide to go with it.

Just now, Bjornebye said:

So basically the future leadership of our country is being thrashed out in For Your Eyes Only. 

Nah, just old men steering the agenda for a country they no longer understand, whilst members who signed up a couple of years ago scream about being ‘woke’ & ‘inclusive’ to the detriment of everyfuckingthing.

Labour, and the union support, is a fucking disaster heading for the iceberg.

24 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The way they're shaping up at the moment, the only influence they'll have on the leadership of this country is making sure Boris gets another 5 years after this. 

17 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Said it loads since election night. I'm still numb about it all. 

Yeah it hit me hard. I was more or less expecting it, but held out some hope that there might be another hung parliament. After 2 years of being very politically engaged, I’ve barely looked at anything to do with politics since the exit poll. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

The way they're shaping up at the moment, the only influence they'll have on the leadership of this country is making sure Boris gets another 5 years after this. 

7 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

Yeah it hit me hard. I was more or less expecting it, but held out some hope that there might be another hung parliament. After 2 years of being very politically engaged, I’ve barely looked at anything to do with politics since the exit poll. 

I just don't think we've got a choice. And I say that by saying we are 'decent people'. We are unfortunately swamped with selfish, narrow minded idiots. 

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

From the inside Starmer will not get it. This  is from somebody in the know who I got very drunk last night. Sorry to burst bubbles.

’They’ are determined to have a female and the unions don’t want Starmer.

The wilderness awaits.

If it were Angela Rayner, I could support this, but I think RLB would be as big a disaster as Swinson was for the Lib Dems.

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think there are very few good politicians at present in any party , but unfortunately the media are happy to focus on the failings of Labour and other opposition MP's, while ignoring how lacking in gravitas the cabinet is.

I think you're right, but it's also why personality plays such a big part. I've never understood what people like in Johnson, I can't abide him, but it seems he has some type of magnetic personality that certain people are drawn to. The press have a love in with him. The voters vote for him. And not just this election, he convinced labour voters to vote for him twice as London mayor and he's clearly a buffoon to even his biggest fans.