You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Corbyn is on his way out, so we probably need a new thread. Who should the new leader of Labour be, what policies should they put forward if they want to win? What really important, is it even policy or is it just a friendly media face and populist sound bites? 

Number one important thing is building class consciousness. We have to stop people voting like turkeys for Christmas 

• Upvote 4

I’m thinking that Labour needs somebody who meet the following criteria if they stand a chance of winning.

Has a likability factor. 

Not loads of old-fashioned lefty baggage. 
Understand and utilise social media to convince people outside of standard media. 

Is palatable to the City/business. 

Pragmatic with policies and with whom/when they pick fights. 

Has a dirty side so when they fight they win. 

Understand the tactics of a fight in politics. 

Good oratory skills. 
More to follow. 

- 40-55 years old.

- Great orator.

- Bit of a cunt.

- From the north.

- Quick witted.

- Will ensure policies benefit small businesses, and hammer home the message that the public sector isn't the enemy. Amazon is.

- Put forward left wing policies that are clearly popular re nationalisation. Take your lead from what the public tell you.

- Lie about your foreign policy position until you're in government. 

- Similarly, lie about how much respect you have for the queen.

- Target winning back the north of England. The liberal middle class in London etc, are more likely to come along for the ride than the other way round.

- Create solid partnerships with The Greens, and anyone else who isn't a complete cunt. Including the Lib Dems if, as I suspect, they're going to be a bit more Charles Kennedy and a little less Charles Manson.

- Play dirty if necessary.

- Stay on message.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I’m thinking that Labour needs somebody who meet the following criteria if they stand a chance of winning.

Has a likability factor. 

Not loads of old-fashioned lefty baggage. 
Understand and utilise social media to convince people outside of standard media. 

Is palatable to the City/business. 

Pragmatic with policies and with whom/when they pick fights. 

Has a dirty side so when they fight they win. 

Understand the tactics of a fight in politics. 

Good oratory skills. 
More to follow. 

Its going to have to be someone from Blairs group I think. I despise the idea of letting them wankers turn everything back towards the middle ground. 

There more palatable than the tories but that's not saying much. The issue will be does that turn the young vote away. 

I saw a thing yesterday

If the voters were all between 18-24 the tories would not have won a seat

Between 25-40 closer but Labour majority 

And it swung after that. 

It would potentially a fucking disaster to lose the young voters but need to swing the middle ground

14 minutes ago, Lee909 said:

Its going to have to be someone from Blairs group I think. I despise the idea of letting them wankers turn everything back towards the middle ground. 

There more palatable than the tories but that's not saying much. The issue will be does that turn the young vote away. 

I saw a thing yesterday

If the voters were all between 18-24 the tories would not have won a seat

Between 25-40 closer but Labour majority 

And it swung after that. 

It would potentially a fucking disaster to lose the young voters but need to swing the middle ground

Any swing is really just academic, inside the Labour Party that aren’t actually getting any policies enacted. I think you’re right about not losing the young voters, but I think a lot of that comes from ideas of fairness and liberty rather than then really caring too much about the way the City is taxed or how high business rates are. I want a progressive, liberal Labour Party who create solid policies from a social democratic platform. 

It’s dirty, but the left need to learn how and be willing to play the system and the political game. Need to tickle Murdoch’s nuts? Fine, do it. Then when you’re in power, you cut them off. 

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
11 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

I would have said  Laura Pidcock.

She's one of the favourites mate, but will labour members back a woman? I have my doubts.