You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

I wonder if they'd still be solvent if they weren't having to pay out settlements for defamation (including to members of the Labour Riverside CLP) all the time? 

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2020/apr/08/jewish-chronicle-and-jewish-news-to-be-liquidated-and-staff-laid-off

Not needed now anti-Semitism* is no longer any issue

*Corbyn

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna side with the cartoonist back up there, sorry. If Miliband or anyone else has a slightly hooked nose it's normal that a caricaturist is going to over exaggerate that, sometimes as much as possible. The only alternative is that they now start making Jewish people that do have even slightly hooked noses have straight ones, which is just fucking stupid and completely world gone mad politically correct.

I mean what can they do here? Do they now have to check everyone they draw that has a hooked nose to see if they're Jewish first so they know not to touch that part of the face?

Now look at the responses to this, he's done Raab who has a Jewish father with a straight nose but they're still having a go even though it isn't hooked at all. Fuck this.

If we've got to the point where Jewish people with hooked noses can't be drawn in cartoon style then it really is fucking stupid.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

It seems to be the rule that over-exaggerated characteristics in a newspaper cartoon = okay, but over-exaggerated characteristics in a mural = bad, antisemitic. 

It's hard to move away from the conclusion that it's all just a big game, for some.

I think the point with that is that the mural was created characters so if meant to be Jewish they've been created from an actual stereotype, the cartoon is an actual person with a slightly hooked nose. If Miliband's nose was totally straight and the cartoonist turned it hooked I could get it, but clearly that's not the case.

5 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I think the point with that is that the mural was created characters so if meant to be Jewish they've been created from an actual stereotype, the cartoon is an actual person with a slightly hooked nose. If Miliband's nose was totally straight and the cartoonist turned it hooked I could get it, but clearly that's not the case.

To clarify, I wasn't singling you out in my comment. 

Also, I haven't been able to source it, but there's meant to be a quote from the artist of the mural who has said that the character's in the mural were depictions of actual people, not all of them Jewish. 

If that's accurate, aren't they both depictions of actual people, but with exaggerated characteristics?

And, again, if accurate, what would the reaction be if Corbyn came out and tweeted a picture of one of the Jewish people depicted in the mural, saying something like "look, I was right, HE HAS GOT A BIG NOSE!"

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

It's not just the nose on Miliband, it's that with the bacon sarny and what's dripping from it. I noticed it straight off. 

Yeah, I always had you down as a brown sauce rather than ketchup man.

On 07/04/2020 at 15:16, aRdja said:

Eeeek...

5 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

It's not just the nose on Miliband, it's that with the bacon sarny and what's dripping from it. I noticed it straight off. 

And, the Ed Miliband hunch. Because, he often hunches, doesn't he? Whilst the non-Jewish Starmer stands tall and proud. 

It's nothing at all like stuff like this. No. Not at all... 

1236736_188219338029549_154623954_n.jpg

13 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

To clarify, I wasn't singling you out in my comment. 

Also, I haven't been able to source it, but there's meant to be a quote from the artist of the mural who has said that the character's in the mural were depictions of actual people, not all of them Jewish. 

If that's accurate, aren't they both depictions of actual people, but with exaggerated characteristics?

And, again, if accurate, what would the reaction be if Corbyn came out and tweeted a picture of one of the Jewish people depicted in the mural, saying something like "look, I was right, HE HAS GOT A BIG NOSE!"

I didn't think you were singling me out so no probs there, and didn't realise the people in that mural were meant to be real either. To be honest I've never really payed much attention to that and all of the drama that was going on with it.

And yeah if Corbyn had done that it'd be total outrage even if he did have a point, they were never going to be fair with him that's for certain.