You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

Starmer has easily enough stuff here already from the gov's response to this virus that he can hammer them with for years to come, there's governments and scientists from all over the planet to back him up and almost everything the Tories have done has been a complete mess. I hope he goes for it and is careful not to get caught up in any of the shit decision making that's still going on.

I'm clearly no fan of his but the gov need to be held to account for what they've done here instead of it being allowed to blow over and any attempt by the Tories to label it as "playing politics" needs to be batted out of the way instantly. It's a perfect example of how bad they are with more evidence being added daily, over four thousand already dead and we've not even hit the peak of it yet.

This alone should be enough to wipe out a huge chunk of their majority.

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Starmer has easily enough stuff here already from the gov's response to this virus that he can hammer them with for years to come, there's governments and scientists from all over the planet to back him up and almost everything the Tories have done has been a complete mess.

Guardian :

Starmer said he did not think it was worth “picking over” the herd immunity approach that the government disputes ever considering.

Oh well there goes that then. It was good to hope for a few hours though.

14 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Guardian :

He has to be careful here. Too critical, without constructive input, and he may inadvertently raise support for Johnson; agree to cross party talks/cooperation, and he risks being tied to flawed policy.

It may seem like an easy open goal, but his response here needs to be both measured, constructive, and hold the government to account. Could be trickier than it initially seems.

• Upvote 4

19 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

He has to be careful here. Too critical, without constructive input, and he may inadvertently raise support for Johnson; agree to cross party talks/cooperation, and he risks being tied to flawed policy.

It may seem like an easy open goal, but his response here needs to be both measured, constructive, and hold the government to account. Could be trickier than it initially seems.

Be helpful now, and then stick the boot in after the public inquiry. That’ll be 2 years closer to the GE too.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I get that, but the herd immunity thing is a central part of what started so much of this bullshit and it's been a driver of their whole stupid response to this. He could've at least said he had a few questions about what was going on there.

It's not just about Starmer either, Corbyn should've been battering them about this already before he stepped down to get the ball rolling. Lucas should've been at it too, along with Lib Dems and the SNP. I've followed little of what they've said recently so some of them might have already had a go but if they haven't or they have then leave it from here on out I think it proves how moronic MP's in general truly are.

People around the world have been amazed at how stupid our gov have been so no MP or party leader would be doing anything out of the ordinary wanting them held to account over this. Instead it looks like it's just going to be glossed over which weakens the entire case against them, and it'll probably leave many people from other countries even more baffled at how our gov have been able to get away with this.

18 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Be helpful now, and then stick the boot in after the public inquiry. That’ll be 2 years closer to the GE too.  

That doesn't help people recall the problems we have now like it would if MP's/Leaders caused a scene to help them remember it, and it opens up the "You didn't say anything back then when you were helping us, but now that we're closer to an election you're making an issue of it" angle.

And getting into it now helps focus the issues for any public inquiry and leaves those running the inquiry less of an ability to avoid it. If it's just seen as some side issue that isn't worth picking apart a public inquiry can easily just avoid it almost completely without causing much of a fuss.

And if that happens they get away with it, and all we'll have is the odd opinion piece here and there in the media in the future wondering what the fuck happened and why the gov wasn't held to account.

Anyway Starmer isn't going to go after them on it now and has made that clear, maybe in the future if it is eventually covered it's better than nothing though.

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Guardian :

I thought Starmer handled himself pretty well this morning on Marr. He said something like that about herd immunity, but I think at this points that's the right thing to do for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the government are currently pretending herd immunity was never part of their policy, so at this point that makes it a pretty difficult argument to win. Secondly I think right now he needs not to be seen as politicising the virus and to appear a force for good. 

While I felt Starmer appeared a little "best of a bad bunch" in the leadership campaign, I thought that was a very credible start this morning. When we get through this period and we start looking back at the government actions, there'll be loads of time for Starmer to show if he can ram home advantage. 

26 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

I thought Starmer handled himself pretty well this morning on Marr. He said something like that about herd immunity, but I think at this points that's the right thing to do for a couple of reasons. Firstly, the government are currently pretending herd immunity was never part of their policy, so at this point that makes it a pretty difficult argument to win. Secondly I think right now he needs not to be seen as politicising the virus and to appear a force for good. 

While I felt Starmer appeared a little "best of a bad bunch" in the leadership campaign, I thought that was a very credible start this morning. When we get through this period and we start looking back at the government actions, there'll be loads of time for Starmer to show if he can ram home advantage. 

If he has a plan to properly pressure them on masks, mass testing and contact tracing, then is going to hit them on herd immunity later on fair enough. I don't have a lot of confidence he'll do that though.

People around the world have been absolutely gobsmacked at what these Tories tried doing (and what they could still be trying to do), I remember one article where the writer thought it was British humour at first until he realised it wasn't. It'd be a huge mistake to push it to one side I think, it could've caused over 200k deaths and not making a point on this now or shortly could leave other govs open to trying it again in the future thinking they'll maybe get away with it again without being called out on it.

I suppose we have no choice but to wait and see what Starmer, other party leaders, and the rest of the MP's do.

13 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Even after a dip in support the Tories 'efforts' are showing at +23% with the public  so going all guns blazing would seem poor tactics at this point.  

I watched the Marr interview. 

Not much he can say in this situation, and by god he didn't say anything.

Be interesting to see who makes up his shadow cabinet.

2 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

If he has a plan to properly pressure them on masks, mass testing and contact tracing, then is going to hit them on herd immunity later on fair enough. I don't have a lot of confidence he'll do that though.

People around the world have been absolutely gobsmacked at what these Tories tried doing (and what they could still be trying to do), I remember one article where the writer thought it was British humour at first until he realised it wasn't. It'd be a huge mistake to push it to one side I think, it could've caused over 200k deaths and not making a point on this now or shortly could leave other govs open to trying it again in the future thinking they'll maybe get away with it again without being called out on it.

I suppose we have no choice but to wait and see what Starmer, other party leaders, and the rest of the MP's do.

I don't think you are going to see too much criticism publicly at this point in the virus. He has a very difficult balance here as parliament is shut. He can't hold the government to account in the usual way, but pushing stuff directly to the media I think would be seen as counter productive. I can actually imagine we will see a lot of this letter writing nonsense that appears to have become popular in politics over the last year or two. Perhaps it always happened and Twitter has just amplified it because everyone posts their letter on there too. It's going to be challenging though because I'm sure there'll be lots of questions around the exit plan from this lockdown. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Barry Gardiner is kicked out. Then there's Times paywall thing too. 

I'm happy to sit and wait and see what he does. But, I think we'll likely see a noticeable drop in membership numbers if his early actions set the tone for the rest of his leadership. 

Is that official about Gardiner? I think he is very good. He never gets outdone in an interview. 

4 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

Is that official about Gardiner? I think he is very good. He never gets outdone in an interview. 

Apparently so. Ian Lavery booted too. I think the latter was quite brash and is no massive loss. But, Gardiner always seemed alright. The only time I've seen him come unstuck was around the 2019 Brexit policy which, in hindsight, could've been better. 

I don't believe that Gardiner was ever a massive Corbyn loyalist either. Just a neutral. Time will tell, but if neutrals are in danger too, we could see a horrid shadow cabinet. 

28 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Barry Gardiner is kicked out. Then there's Times paywall thing too. 

I'm happy to sit and wait and see what he does. But, I think we'll likely see a noticeable drop in membership numbers if his early actions set the tone for the rest of his leadership. 

Why? He got the support of the largest ever number of party members.  You could argue he’s more popular than Corbyn.  

50 minutes ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Apparently so. Ian Lavery booted too. I think the latter was quite brash and is no massive loss. But, Gardiner always seemed alright. The only time I've seen him come unstuck was around the 2019 Brexit policy which, in hindsight, could've been better. 

I don't believe that Gardiner was ever a massive Corbyn loyalist either. Just a neutral. Time will tell, but if neutrals are in danger too, we could see a horrid shadow cabinet. 

I'm expecting 3 of the big jobs to go to nandy, Philips and RLB. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jairzinho said:

Jess Phillips?

Really hoping there is another Labour MP called Phillips.

I think she's a motor mouth who'll be more easily contained inside the shadow cabinet than outside. She's one of the biggest threats to labour as she doesn't give 2 fucks when she opens her mouth. Putting her in the shadow cabinet would hopefully nullify her ability to sabotage the party. It's not always about picking the best person, it's how you manage the whole group. It's not like he can give her a bosman is it and hope the libdems come in for her?

• Upvote 2