You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

Not unexpected, but I'm made up all the same. I got behind Corbyn even though he's somewhat to the left of me on most things, because I'm too long in the tooth for all this ideological purity bollocks and I'd rather see a Labour leader win an election and implement some of what I want than yet another Tory leader who gives me fuck all of what I want and appoints twats like Priti Patel, Rees Mogg and Chris fucking Grayling as ministers.

I'd like to think the rump of the Corbynistas will feel the same and drop into line behind Starmer, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

My gut feeling is that none of the candidates are electable. I really don't see Sir Keir as the man to win back the working class voters that Labour need, and they could lose the youth support as well now. Personally I will support the party as long as they continue to pursue the same policies as the last two elections.

Completely disagree.

Kier can not only win back the working class voters, I personally think he can appeal to voters along the political spectrum including younger voters.

11 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, dreadful from RLB. Seemed an awful candidate from the start.

It was an awful campaign but in retrospect I don’t think the Corbyn backing MPs had anyone better to offer up really. 

You only have to look how Burgon fared in the deputy race to see how someone like Lavery would have done. Maybe Pidcock  would have done a bit better if she’d remained an MP but I don’t think she would have won either. 

Rayner and RLB should have flipped with RLB running for deputy and Rayner for leader but even then I don’t think Rayner would have beaten Starmer, not to mention she’s not fully accepted by that wing of the party. 

6 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

The right outcome.

Still can’t believe that anybody wanted RLB elected, especially the unions and bigwigs, well before it became apparent they were backing a horse that needing shooting as it fell at the first.

It does show an alarming lack of judgment from Unite, Momentum and other unions that backed RLB when it was obvious that she couldn’t win this. The politically astute thing to do would have been to pragmatically back Starmer to try and curry favour with him. 

28 minutes ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

Completely disagree.

Kier can not only win back the working class voters, I personally think he can appeal to voters along the political spectrum including younger voters.

How though? He will be painted as Pro EU Sir Keir of Brussels. The man that wanted to ignore the referendum result. I don't see how he will win back any of the leave voting seats Labour lost vs the man that delivered Brexit. 

At best he may be more popular with Lib Dems voters, but the handful of votes they have aren't the ones Labour need. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

It does show an alarming lack of judgment from Unite, Momentum and other unions that backed RLB when it was obvious that she couldn’t win this. The politically astute thing to do would have been to pragmatically back Starmer to try and curry favour with him. 

I know someone who was in the room, not senior enough to make a difference, but liked enough to be there, and he was banging his head against a desk constantly. 

All they spoke about was ‘continuity candidate’ ‘legacy’ etc. They need to realise that’s it’s not the 70’s anymore and we have a vastly different workers demographic, who are not just marginalised by society, but financially as well. 

I hope a clear rethink is coming, but doubt it when Len and the dinosaurs still make all the major decisions at ‘The Dickens’ pub lock-ins. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

He’s got anti-semitism back on the agenda an day 1. Everyone has had a chance to recharge their batteries and the Twitter war can now recommence. Once more unto the breach, dear friends. 

Fully expect some sort of mass purge at the behest of the British Board Of Deputies.

8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Presumably The Independent, Guardian and to some extent the BBC (and any other centrist media) will support him. Which will help.

The Guardian (well, Katy Balls of the Spectator) were already getting their digs in before he was even elected as leader-

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/02/is-keir-starmer-failing-call-out-government-coronavirus

4 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

He’s got anti-semitism back on the agenda on day 1. Everyone has had a chance to recharge their batteries and the Twitter war can now recommence. Once more unto the breach, dear friends. 

He's not actually a member of Labour Friends of Israel, is he?

Essentially confirming that he despises jews.

1 minute ago, Mudface said:

The Guardian (well, Katy Balls of the Spectator) were already getting their digs in before he was even elected as leader-

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/02/is-keir-starmer-failing-call-out-government-coronavirus

Toynbee has just sucked him dry.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/04/keir-starmer-labour-tories-coronavirus-crisis

14 minutes ago, skend04 said:

Got to smile at all the "he won't win the working man's vote back". It's like these people haven't noticed who won the election in December. 

No. I think people have noticed. There is an enormous difference in the cultivated images of Johnson and Starmer. 

Johnson is a "lad". He is the "you don't have to be mad to work here but it helps" sticker. He's seen as being patriotic. He's got funny hair. He speaks funny. 

All of this shite helps to convince imbeciles that he represents them. Starmer doesn't have this stuff. He's a serious, erudite, human. 

Obviously Johnson is actually an ex-Etonian, narcissistic, compulsive liar that wouldn't piss on the working class if they were allergic to piss, but this reality is, to some extent, irrelevant.

Starmer will have to fight very hard to remove the London based, remain supporting, lawyer image. 

He'll kill the Lib Dems stone dead. The centre/centre left (liberal), big city, middle class support will come back. And that's obviously a good thing, because there are plenty of marginals in these areas that need winning back. He'll take back votes from the Lib Dems and the Tory/Labour swing voter types.

Getting the votes back from the deserted, and deserting, working class will be trickier.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Have they changed the Labour logo from red to grey yet?

A rather uninspiring new leader. Brexit is an issue that will polarise the country for years to come. I'd be very surprised if the leave voters who left Labour will come back to a party led by an ardent remainer. And I don't think that Starmer has the character, appeal or charm to win them back either.