You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

6 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He had an ace up his sleeve. Actually, two. Brexit and Corbyn. 

Sure, but probably worth considering why either of those were actually an ace, and whether a Labour party led by someone who was "more intelligent/charismatic/had a better haircut" would have made any difference.

3 minutes ago, Duff Man said:

Sure, but probably worth considering why either of those were actually an ace, and whether a Labour party led by someone who was "more intelligent/charismatic/had a better haircut" would have made any difference.

I think it is worth considering, yes. Proper consideration and not just ‘Murdoch’s a cunt’. I think somebody who was tactically more astute would have given it a much better hit than Corbyn. 

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

But they're INSIDE THE EU SINGLE MARKET. As I must have told you 20 times already.

That is one of the the red lines that you set yourselves. You can still have a close alignment to the single market for example. We need a leader who is enthusiastic about the prospect of being a fully sovereign nation with all its benefits e.g., the opportunity to nationalise energy companies, water, railway, etc.

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

There’s a template for success; Switzerland and Norway are two prosperous European nations outside of EU. Believe in yourselves.

They are outside for various, mainly political reasons, they are not prosperous because they are outside of the EU. In most aspects, they are inside.

The problem for Labour is not so much the EU, it's who they now represent.  The EU (Brexit) is only (one of) manifestation of that problem.

6 hours ago, moof said:

Maybe. It’s far from a sure thing though. 

I was just watching bbc news (don’t ask) about the flooding, interviewing a woman who says “the flood victims are feeling neglected, what they want is a big Boris hug”

the uk people are irreconcilably under-informed. I don’t hold out a lot of hope. 

I think it was a 'Big Boris cuddle' , I actually screamed at the TV  , what the fuck is wrong with people.

15 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

That is one of the the red lines that you set yourselves. You can still have a close alignment to the single market for example. We need a leader who is enthusiastic about the prospect of being a fully sovereign nation with all its benefits e.g., the opportunity to nationalise energy companies, water, railway, etc.

Yeah, looking forward to the pro-brexit, pro-single market, pro-nationalisation candidate to come forward. 

20 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think it is worth considering, yes. Proper consideration and not just ‘Murdoch’s a cunt’. I think somebody who was tactically more astute would have given it a much better hit than Corbyn. 

That's the crux of it, but I suspect we diverge on what the approach should be, there. I do think people need to get real about how much credence is given to a leader's personal qualities by the likes of Murdoch, though. Starmer's charisma/intelligence/ability to deliver a zinger at PMQs won't be considerations in whether The Times etc decide to dust off the big box of Marxist bullshit scare stories again.

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, looking forward to the pro-brexit, pro-single market, pro-nationalisation candidate to come forward. 

Well, I think Ardj is sort of right on how the next Labour leader will have to sell it.  It'll be a fine line between saying "look at the Tories and their shit Brexit fucking the country over"  and saying "here's the what we're going to do make life better for people".

Go too far with the Brexit criticism and the next election becomes another Brexit election, which is a no-win for Labour.  I don't even really believe the country was pro-Brexit at the last election in voting for Boris, they were more pro-stop fucking talking about Brexit.

• Upvote 1

I voted earlier as well. Can’t say I’m particularly enthusiastic about any of the candidates. Still haven’t really got any enthusiasm for politics in general since the election in all honesty. Kind of feels like we’re in limbo until Starmer gets the nod and everything/everyone falls back into line. 

Got a couple of local events coming up next week so maybe I’ll get the taste for it again. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I voted earlier as well. Can’t say I’m particularly enthusiastic about any of the candidates. Still haven’t really got any enthusiasm for politics in general since the election in all honesty. Kind of feels like we’re in limbo until Starmer gets the nod and everything/everyone falls back into line. 

Got a couple of local events coming up next week so maybe I’ll get the taste for it again. 

Do it 

source.gif

10 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Since I've been negged, let's make it 1906 for the majority government. 

Ah, hey now, they went all in with the Tories in 2010. Saved Britain from becoming Greece, so they did, that's why they're so popular these days. They paved the way for 10 fucking years of austerity and counting, and helped force an election for petty party advantage which ended up delivering Johnson, a skip load of dead squirrels and a hard right Brexit, but never mind.