You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

3 minutes ago, mattyq said:

He did win us 3 elections and I want to see a Labour Government.

Having that fat cunt Johnson in for 5 years with a big majority makes me physically sick

Crossing my fingers and going for Starmer myself as the best overall candidate, although RLB IS probably nearer my own politics.

Allin-Khan's campaign is run by Watson and McNicol so I hope she comes last., just after Murray.

43 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Crossing my fingers and going for Starmer myself as the best overall candidate, although RLB IS probably nearer my own politics.

Allin-Khan's campaign is run by Watson and McNicol so I hope she comes last., just after Murray.

Haha, I was going to vote for Rayner bur i saw Allin-Khan the other day at a hustings and she was very impressive... think Rayner will be a shoe in, though

I voted for Corbyn and agreed with most of his policies but he was a terrible leader and I've had enough of that shit.

Not sure Starmer is going to be brilliant but he'll be organised and effective and we'll have a chance with him

4 minutes ago, moof said:

What are people basing their belief that Starmer will be electable in 5 years on? A hunch? 

I'd rather it wasn't Streamer but he has far more of an air of gravitas in him and he is strong in the commons. A lot of "on the fence" voters may not have seen Corbyn as a "leader". 

I have no idea. 

Maybe. It’s far from a sure thing though. 

I was just watching bbc news (don’t ask) about the flooding, interviewing a woman who says “the flood victims are feeling neglected, what they want is a big Boris hug”

the uk people are irreconcilably under-informed. I don’t hold out a lot of hope. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, moof said:

I was just watching bbc news (don’t ask) about the flooding, interviewing a woman who says “the flood victims are feeling neglected, what they want is a big Boris hug”

the uk people are irreconcilably under-informed. I don’t hold out a lot of hope. 

I'd be checking my pockets if that cunt gave me a hug. About the only good thing about the floods is that people don't have to put up with a visit from the horrible prick.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, moof said:

He was there when the fella needed his dog-shit picking up though. 

"We've got your back Boris! get em out!" 

This country is full of racist thick as pig-shit idiots. 

16 minutes ago, moof said:

The only way "Boris" is useful against flooding is to use the cunt as a sandbag. 

I voted for RLB and didn't give a 2nd or 3rd preference. I then voted Rayner then Burgon then Butler. 

My gut feeling is that none of the three potential leaders are electable, so I'd rather stick with the candidate closest to the policies that I support.

It seems like Starmer is going to win though. If that is the case then I will give him a chance, but I don't see how Sir Keir of Brussels is a better choice than Corbyn was? Are the leave voters more likely to vote for him or Johnson? His best hope is that he manages to see off whats left of the Lib Dems and wins over lots of remain voters? 

It's difficult to see how anybody could win enough seats to get a majority any time soon though. I'm pretty disillusioned with the entire thing in all honesty.  

24 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

Competence, intelligence, coherence, fewer skeletons in the closet, take your pick. Not sure he'll win the next election, but I'd put my house on Labour ending up with more MPs next time.

Not sure I’ve ever encountered a person with worse political instincts than you, so I’ll take that bet. 

5 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

I can’t see how the Workington men could vote for an ultra-remain London-based QC.

Why not? They voted for an Old Etonian conman and previously for an ultra-Europhile Edinburgh-born barrister. Brexit is likely to still be a big issue at the next election, but mainly for its inevitable failure.

6 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Why not? They voted for an Old Etonian conman. Brexit is likely to still be a big issue at the next election, but mainly for its inevitable failure.

Now you need someone who believes in Brexit who will try to make a success of it IMO. I’ve said it all along, Corbyn’s biggest mistake was to go against his democratic principles and entertain the daft idea of “People’s Vote”. Keir Starmer was the one of its biggest proponents, and the electorates know that.

33 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Now you need someone who believes in Brexit who will try to make a success of it IMO. I’ve said it all along, Corbyn’s biggest mistake was to go against his democratic principles and entertain the daft idea of “People’s Vote”. Keir Starmer was the one of its biggest proponents, and the electorates know that.

Oh, aye. Which pro-Brexit Labour politician do you have in mind?

It's all about the profile you present to the electorate. Corbyn's was torn to shreds, Labour need someone who can withstand it as much as possible. All of the candidates have their pros and cons but it's about optics - can you present a credible opposition at PMQs when they're distilled to social media for a start? As William Goldman said, "no one knows anything" and especially in this new political reality of fake social media stories, hardening factions on the left and right and accountability meaning less than ever.

Just now, viRdjil said:

I genuinely don’t know.

Interesting. I figured you’d have a politician who was willing to run on a pro-Bexit ticket in the leadership election (a policy which is overwhelmingly against what the membership wants), then win it, then still be popular with the electorate. If not, it’s surely just you saying some stuff?

• Upvote 1