You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

I've heard it rumoured that it is the Pantomime Dame who is the person who is behind over a third of the A-S complaints to the Labour party in the past year , and that over 200 of her allegations have been dismissed as having no evidence or reason for further investigation. At what point does the party have to start looking at the possibility of vexatious claims ?

That’s a tough set of questions she was asked. She answered a specific question with a generic answer to try to avoid the specific, then the tweet listed it as specific. Fair to do so? Maybe, as her general comment would cover the case of this rapist. It’s very difficult for a politician to get the answer right, if right is defined as winning votes or pleasing people. I think in these cases it needs to be less about the  rights of the rapist to self identify and more about the safety and security of others. Putting a biological male rapist of women in a women’s prison seems like a very poor idea. Just as, sometimes, putting a very violent prisoner in areas where they can be a threat to other prisoners is a poor idea. To me, at least. 

1 minute ago, SasaS said:

The news will kill the gender reveal party industry.

Been invited to a couple of them over the last few years and everytime I rightly say "I honestly couldn't give a fuck about your kid until its old enough to talk properly. Its gonna be a little cunt until then and as long as its healthy I want absolutely nothing to do with the fucking little goblin". I pretty much said that word for word in a message to my cousin last year. She seems to have lost her sense of humour. 

• Upvote 1

Born without a *sex*. If she said that, then that’s just wrong. If she said gender then she at least has an argument. But nobody is born without a sex. Male, female, or more rarely an abnormality that is a different chromosomal mix of some kind, But no, not born without a biological sex. 

3 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Born without a *sex*. If she said that, then that’s just wrong. If she said gender then she at least has an argument. But nobody is born without a sex. Male, female, or more rarely an abnormality that is a different chromosomal mix of some kind, But no, not born without a biological sex. 

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

In what realm? 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

That’s a tough set of questions she was asked. She answered a specific question with a generic answer to try to avoid the specific, then the tweet listed it as specific. Fair to do so? Maybe, as her general comment would cover the case of this rapist. It’s very difficult for a politician to get the answer right, if right is defined as winning votes or pleasing people. I think in these cases it needs to be less about the  rights of the rapist to self identify and more about the safety and security of others. Putting a biological male rapist of women in a women’s prison seems like a very poor idea. Just as, sometimes, putting a very violent prisoner in areas where they can be a threat to other prisoners is a poor idea. To me, at least. 

A Labour trans group was recently set up, I’m not sure if it is an official affiliated group or who set it up, and has come up with some pledges which Nandy and RLB signed straight away and all of the female deputy contenders have signed up to the same thing. I don’t think Starmer or the two males left in the deputy race, Burgon and Ian Murray have signed it yet.  

This seems to have caused a bit of a split with questions being asked about it at every hustings and from what I see on Twitter a lot of women complaining that it designates some groups they are members of as hate groups which would see them expelled from the party if they are found to be members and others saying they will be glad to see them leave as they are transphobic. 

This is the group and the pledges:

https://twitter.com/Labour_Trans

6BAF8BCB-00CD-4876-BA60-68F1A6439E3E.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

A Labour trans group was recently set up, I’m not sure if it is an official affiliated group or who set it up, and has come up with some pledges which Nandy and RLB signed straight away and all of the female deputy contenders have signed up to the same thing. I don’t think Starmer or the two males left in the deputy race, Burgon and Ian Murray have signed it yet.  

This seems to have caused a bit of a split with questions being asked about it at every hustings and from what I see on Twitter a lot of women complaining that it designates some groups they are members of as hate groups which would see them expelled from the party if they are found to be members and others saying they will be glad to see them leave as they are transphobic. 

Number 3 is problematic, 8 and 9 are the ones causing the issue.  If you don’t believe 3, then you’re automatically transphobic and out.  

28 minutes ago, Sugar Ape said:

It’s easy for me, because gender, sex, race, religion, or any other factor that isn’t ‘are you a human being’ doesn’t impact my view. I don’t mean that in a personal way, I mean that in a policy sense. Policies, unless specific to anatomical difference (for example, health) should just be about a person. Whether or not a trans person is a woman/man or not is pretty irrelevant to me, they’re a person and should have the same rights as other people.

Personally I see a trans-women as trans-women. They’re different to women and men, but no less of a person. Not when that’s seen as derogatory - and I fully accept to those people, it might well be - does it become a problem. Obviously I don’t see being a trans-women as any less than being a women, but I can respect that some would as it’s used by those attempting to belittle and oppress people. For me it’s just an acknowledgement that a person has chosen to live as a different gender than the one normally assigned according to sex. It’s not even a big deal. Well, obviously it is but it’s not to me. That said, I’m not trans. So I can only give my view of how I feel towards them. Which is... same as anybody else. 

As far as prison and things like that, well, I don’t really see why that can’t be dealt with on a person-by-person basis, not just for trans-people but for all people. If you put a trans-women in a prison with biologically female prisoners, it’s dangerous. And anyway, what is it about taking your right to freedom away that’s acceptable, but your right to decide which prison you go into isn’t? I mean, this whole ‘commit crimes bad enough to be imprisoned, you lose some of your rights’ thing is pretty clear isn’t it? If you want your personal rights to be respected, don’t rape kids. If prisons were only used as I think they should, that stance would be less of a problem. 

Anyway, I’m off to crack one off to Bailey Jay. 

2 hours ago, Nelly-Torres said:

Just received my eBallot email. 

I'm a bit uninspired by the leadership contenders. And it looks like Starmer will walk it anyway. I went RLB 1st preference. Starmer 2nd. And Nandy a very distant 3rd.

Rayner and Burgon were 1 and 2 in my picks for deputy leader. 

I got mine today as well.

Voted for Keir then Nandy and in the deputy voted Rosena and Murray

• Upvote 1