You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Sounds like Corbyn's position on Brexit.

As long as it doesn’t sound like Starmer’s pledges, I’m fine. I like some of his pledges. I think some of them aren’t priorities, but I guess it leaves him wiggle room on how he implements them. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

He also said, much more succinctly than I did, the following... ‘I got into politics to change lives. You don’t change lives by being in opposition’. 

Well, you do, you propose a policy and the ruling party steals it from you.

6 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Last night was interesting enough Dougie , but I would avoid tonight's shitfest with all four seeing who can get their tongues furthest up the JLM's backside.

Cheers, I'll give last nights a go. Lazy of me to not just go and watch it without asking first but just overloaded on political stuff lately.

I guess they have to do this shit.

Israel is a topic like the Royal Family. Or nukes. It's fucking depressing that there's where society is, but it's the reality.

"No, I'm not a Zionist because the original meaning of the word has been replaced by "person who wholeheartedly supports the actions of the Israeli government regardless of how many children they murder, or how many International laws they break" I'm not a Zionist because I don't support apartheid. I'm not a Zionist because I don't support the attempted slow motion genocide of Palestinian people."

If any of them had said something like that it would be ANTI-SEMITE time.

At least starmer didn’t outwardly nail his colours to the mast but “I sympathise with and support a continued policy of settler colonialism” is not exactly an ideal position for a potential labour leader to take, in my view. But yes, you’re 100% right Jairz, it is simply pandering. What a pathetic place to be.

Nandy and Thornberry can piss off as well, who gives the remotest fuck what they have to say?

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, moof said:

Nandy and Thornberry can piss off as well, who gives the remotest fuck what they have to say?

Why the fuck does this whole process have to take so long? They both have about the same chance of leading the Labour Party as Rolf Harris does.

It's almost certainly going to be Starmer, with the only slight challenge coming from RLB. Everyone else just fuck off, and stop wasting time.

1 hour ago, moof said:

It’s alarming how none of them seem to have any idea what the word Zionism means 

Labour Party is very close to losing me, I have to be honest 

They know what it means, mate. They’re just too scared of the backlash so hide behind the ‘it just means...’ definition. Israeli propaganda machine is such a fucker and certainly helped create disarray within Labour, I’m not surprise the candidates haven’t come guns blazing. That said, only one of them doesn’t identify as a Zionist. Test said, I don’t understand how you can support Zionism without being Zionist. Had he said ‘I’m not a Zionist but understand and sympathise’, that would have actually been a fine answer. I think Nandy’s was the worst. It’s completely opposite to my view. I do not support the right to a nation built on Jewishness any more than I would whiteness, or being a Muslim. To paraphrase a now failing YouTuber, ‘I don’t believe in black states, white states, Jewish states, or Muslim states, I just believe in democratic states’. 

I think for any Labour leader to have even the remotest chance to succeed (win an election) this is probably the battle you’d be okay to lose. Fuck it. Don’t give the right and centrists more ammo to attack them with. Approach the issue differently when you’re in power, but for now just play along. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1