You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

4 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Saw a sentence in the Independent concerning the possible formation of a Starmer shadow cabinet that concluded that there was plenty of talent in the plp across the breadth of opinion , from the Hard-left Dan Carden to the Centrist Wes Streeting. I have noticed that no Labour PLP member is ever described in the press as being to the right of the party.

The centrists are on the right of the party, the right of the party is in the political centre. Anyone referring to centrists as being on the right usually has a political axe to grind.

14 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

The centrists are on the right of the party, the right of the party is in the political centre. Anyone referring to centrists as being on the right usually has a political axe to grind.

But we are not describing the breadth of politics are we ? we are talking about the Labour party specifically , and are saying that over the whole 100% of views in the PLP , from left to right , that nobody is beyond the middle point.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

@TheHowieLama was it a serious question or are you latin ? 

Both.

As a non-practicing Christian certainly there are "ethnic" elements in my life that would be equal to any Jewish "ethnic" elements in a non practicing Jews life right?

I mean I love Easter -- do all that stuff - who doesn't color Easter eggs?

Christmas is a great time too - we cook the Seven Fishes and sing carols.

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Both.

As a non-practicing Christian certainly there are "ethnic" elements in my life that would be equal to any Jewish "ethnic" elements in a non practicing Jews life right?

Of course, my point stands. If someone said about Jews what SD did about Catholics he would be screaming anti-semitism and asking Dave to ban them. Seriously bad hypocrisy and snideness. 

Easter was boss when I was a kid but now I barely even notice it. Well apart from getting fist-shaking angry when I see Easter Eggs being sold 2 months before it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Both.

I think ethnicity goes a bit deeper than a few cultural elements. In the case of the ethnic Jew, you are talking about a large tribe of people who are biologically related to each other. Are Spanish Catholics and Irish Catholics a single biological unit? I think not.

1 hour ago, Bjornebye said:

Of course, my point stands. If someone said about Jews what SD did about Catholics he would be screaming anti-semitism and asking Dave to ban them. Seriously bad hypocrisy and snideness. 

Complete codswallop. But you're comparing apples and oranges. Catholicism is an ideology, just like Toryism is an ideology. If we can have a dig at Tories, then we can have a dig at religious groups.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think ethnicity goes a bit deeper than a few cultural elements. In the case of the ethnic Jew, you are talking about a large tribe of people who are biologically related to each other. Are Spanish Catholics and Irish Catholics a single biological unit? I think not.

Complete codswallop. But you're comparing apples and oranges. Catholicism is an ideology, just like Toryism is an ideology. If we can have a dig at Tories, then we can have a dig at religious groups.

Load of bollocks as usual. Hypocrite. 

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

And Jews are immune from that? Because they all came from the same place centuries ago?

If you want to make valid criticisms or elementary observations of Jewish religious groups, don't let me stop you. There is a massive gulf between that and invocation of racist tropes, although as you can see there are some here who wouldn't understand nuance if you carved the word NUANCE into a baseball bat and smashed them around the head with it.

19 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you replace Catholic with Shia Muslim, "so you don't expect any better", it would be a bit inappropriate, no?

Just now, SasaS said:

If you replace Catholic with Shia Muslim, "so you don't expect any better", it would be a bit inappropriate, no?

I don't know much about Shia Islam, certainly not enough to know whether you can make valid generalisations about their beliefs.

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

If you want to make valid criticisms or elementary observations of Jewish religious groups, don't let me stop you. There is a massive gulf between that and invocation of racist tropes, although as you can see there are some here who wouldn't understand nuance if you carved the word NUANCE into a baseball bat and smashed them around the head with it.

So you are saying the difference between race & religion is subtle? You know where you can shove that bat don't you. 

12 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

May I recommend 'ƎƆИAUИ'. EDIT: Wait... ИUAИƆƎ

I dunno. Try both.

EDIT 2: Honestly, I've no idea if that even makes sense now. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Thats not what he asked 

I made a valid observation about Catholic beliefs, but I don't know enough about Shia Islam to know if I could make a similar observation about their beliefs. So I don't know what your problem is. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

May I recommend 'ƎƆИAUИ'?

This must be Russian for NUANCE.

49 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I made a valid observation about Catholic beliefs, but I don't know enough about Shia Islam to know if I could make a similar observation about their beliefs. So I don't know what your problem is. 

This must be Russian for NUANCE.

A valid observation? Wow.  Elaborate. 

You didn't answer his question. He didn't ask for an opinion on Shia Islam. He asked if you saying what you said but replacing Catholic with Shia Islam would be seen as inappropriate. I can see why you have tried to swerve it.