You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

9 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

Him being popular isn't the issue, it's more that once someone has their nomination secured it'd be good if MP's could recognise that and then think more about helping other candidates get on the ballot. There's 40+ nominations there that could've got Lewis and even though I'm not really a fan, Thornberry with enough too. I suppose if they're often from the right of the party though they're not interested anyway.

I get what you're saying, but what if those people don't think he's the right person to win votes? Or, alternatively, love Starmer to bits? I dunno, I think if you can't win more than a fistful of nominations from your allies, it's not an amazing sign of his ability to win people's confidence. 

dont count out jess phillips she maybe raw but she don't take any shit. Ive had the pleasure in meeting her shes a very down to earth person unlike the pompus twats we have on the front benches at the moment and she is well known for doing what she says she will do and thats rare in any MP  that sits in the house 

17 minutes ago, andyj said:

dont count out jess phillips she maybe raw but she don't take any shit. Ive had the pleasure in meeting her shes a very down to earth person unlike the pompus twats we have on the front benches at the moment and she is well known for doing what she says she will do and thats rare in any MP  that sits in the house 

Jess Phillips is a massive cunt. 

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I get what you're saying, but what if those people don't think he's the right person to win votes? Or, alternatively, love Starmer to bits? I dunno, I think if you can't win more than a fistful of nominations from your allies, it's not an amazing sign of his ability to win people's confidence. 

He wasn't going to win people's confidence and become leader I don't think, but he'd have continually brought up subjects liker a fairer voting system. The others would've then had to comment on it if asked. None of the others are saying a word in it, maybe they will do if Labour get beat at the next election and we have to suffer another 5 years of this shit. He's dropped out now anyway.

I honestly think a new party should be started at this point. Let them label the entire thing some type of communist bunch of antisemites and just go at it anyway by calling them out. The bunch of cunt MP's in the party should pay for dragging it to the right like this (most nominations went to right/centrist), and that payment should be never again being elected unless they ally with the left that they've fucked over in a coalition.

I'm thinking partly of what happened in Spain too and I simply googled spain podemos a bit ago to see this at the top of results :

JTA — Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez appointed as his deputy a politician who has called Israel an “illegal country” and hosted a talk show with allegedly anti-Semitic content that aired on an Iranian-funded TV station.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/spanish-pm-taps-politician-who-called-israel-an-illegal-country-as-his-deputy/

Boo fucking hoo.

Hello, what do we have here?

https://twitter.com/workerspartyGB

If the right have Farridge maybe Galloway is the answer on the left. If it grows in size there's no way he isn't going to call out pretty much every single corrupt bastard, group and government that he can. I have no faith there's any election to be won with it, but it could be exactly what a broken Labour Party needs right now to be made to start waking the fuck up.

If Starmer wins and this Worker's Party starts properly growing Galloway might end up with a party that actually represents the working class way more than Labour ever will do as it stands. That means Labour could start leaking voters big time and they'll be forced to change.

I honestly think this is what we need after the last election, the same old bullshit does not work. Our democracy is too broken for it to happen and Blair only got it with the help of Murdoch. Labour simply can't win elections unless they sell out so fuck it as it stands, it should be forced to either change properly or be resigned to the same type of shit that other centrist parties have to go through like the Lib Dems and those funny tinge idiots that left Labour and none got re-elected.

Yes, I would prefer it if someone other than Galloway did it because I think he's a twat at times and he's going to carry on being like that too, maybe even worse if he senses power. But maybe it's better than the same old thing happening. Our so-called democracy is in a seriously bad state, maybe it needs someone like Galloway being an absolute cunt for a while to call a load of it out whilst taking in loads of working class left wing people too to vote for it.

It could be that this is the point that the old two party system has finally been broken. Corbyn exposed how much of a sham it really is and it could be that after what so many of us saw him go through there's now no going back.

3 hours ago, andyj said:

She's a Tory gobshite!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, andyj said:

On Rees-Mogg: “Oh he’s a lovely fella”

On Corbyn: “I’d knife him in the front”

5 hours ago, andyj said:

Look, nobody is voting for your wife, so give it up.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Business as usual?

I had no faith Farridge could win the election either but he seems to have helped the Tories a fair bit eventually. The difference is that Farridge was promoted by the media and got on question time about 3000 times, Galloway being a hard left commie will face a lot worse. You can be a racist far right idiot and the media will still promote you, far left though? Well, we'll see what happens, but I doubt Galloway will be too surprised and carry on going for it anyway.

16 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Sad, but I guess as Blair showed, if you want to win an election as a Labour candidate, this is probably where you’d have to compromise.

Maybe if Blair had stood up to them back then we'd have never had Brexit? The Blair 'New Labour' party  lead to the rise of Farage and Ukip/Brexit Party and to Labour losing support in Scotland to the SNP. 

In the future I don't think the newspapers will have too much influence over things. Social media will be where campaigns are won and lost.

1 hour ago, skend04 said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/labour-leadership-momentum-member-ballot-deputy-candidates-a9283826.html#comments

You can choose any candidate as long as she has the letters "Rebecca Long Bailey" in her name.

Lovely. All the usual contortionists will be warming up to try and defend this. 

Obviously this isn’t a good look, but does this really make a difference? It’s not like an old union vote where the Momentum leadership hold the votes for all the members is it?

I’m assuming anyone who is a Labour Party member still gets a vote in the proper leadership election, this is just an endorsement exercise?

35 minutes ago, Jose Jones said:

Obviously this isn’t a good look, but does this really make a difference? It’s not like an old union vote where the Momentum leadership hold the votes for all the members is it?

I’m assuming anyone who is a Labour Party member still gets a vote in the proper leadership election, this is just an endorsement exercise?

I thought that Momentum shizzle was in the news days ago. Completely pointless and bizarre and they’re losing plenty of members over it. They should stick to making Facebook videos and getting people active, not engaging in shit like this. 

11 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

In the future I don't think the newspapers will have too much influence over things. Social media will be where campaigns are won and lost.

I think we’re still a long, long way off that. The newspaper’s websites still have a huge presence online and TV news dominates even more.