You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

47 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

So it wasn't what you claimed, that people here were opposed to extra taxes on the wealthy, but actually that they were opposed to Labour's plans, specifically. Glad we've cleared that up.

Not sure where you are going with this. The primary argument for opposition to tax rises were it’s my money I will lose out. 

2 hours ago, Denny Crane said:

Not sure where you are going with this. The primary argument for opposition to tax rises were it’s my money I will lose out. 

I'll help you out here. I said Labours tax plans would make me lose out, not the plan to increase income tax on £80k (or whatever it was) earners, but Capital gains, council tax etc.

1 hour ago, A Red said:

I'll help you out here. I said Labours tax plans would make me lose out, not the plan to increase income tax on £80k (or whatever it was) earners, but Capital gains, council tax etc.

I didn’t think you held strong views on income tax as running a small business your tax arrangements would be different to a straight employee. I do recall you holding firm views on Corporation Tax that inferred they should be low. I know Labour and the Lib Dems had proposals on Capital Gains Tax but Labour had some additional tweaks that you had an issue with. 

1 minute ago, Denny Crane said:

I didn’t think you held strong views on income tax as running a small business your tax arrangements would be different to a straight employee. I do recall you holding firm views on Corporation Tax that inferred they should be low. I know Labour and the Lib Dems had similar proposals on Capital Gains Tax but Labour had some additional tweaks that you suggested made you worse off. 

I do think that lower corporation tax can be a good thing. I will never reach the levels of the higher tax that Labour were suggesting but if i did I wouldnt have had a problem with it. The capital gains tax was to have been more than doubled by Labour and I did have a big problem that.

The Labour Party of Israel. Getting fucking stupid this is, some people should just start a new party and dump this whole shit off at some point I think.

Nobody has the bottle to call the smear campaign out so right-wing Zionists will just end up with more control as time passes if someone doesn't do something. A Labour Party that's shit scared of calling out right wing Zionists, is yes, being partly controlled and manipulated by them.

I don't give a fuck if anyone thinks that's antisemitic, in reality it's just 1984-style thought control bullshit. If right-wingers are manipulating the party, whether they're Jews, Muslims or fucking intergalactic unicorns it needs calling out. It's going to fuck this party over if nobody does anything.

Any faith I had in RLB is fading fast, Clive Lewis has "liked" a tweet of these recommendations apparently but hasn't commented, maybe he's the only one with half a brain on this one.

Meanwhile, the guy that got chucked out :

10 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

They're cornered. Especially this close to the last election.

As much as I personally would love to see them say "fuck off, you far right nutters, you're not dictating shit to us", they can't. 

I'll be honest if shit like this starts happening in the greens I'll pack it all in. Same applies whatever ethnic group or religion it is!

I said something similar about Corbyn not being able to speak out when he was on the Andrew Neil show, when I said he should've just apologised and moved on. I think he was cornered then too. I suppose if any potential leader like RLB wants to speak out later on and is just trying to win first that's ok, but I don't have a lot of hope that she's suddenly going to start calling out smear campaigns and talking about right-wing Zionists, Israeli apartheid and Palestine shortly after being elected. I think it's gone too far now really.

What I think several of the idiots over in Israel and over here want that support them is this country in a similar situation politically, with the left basically destroyed and we only have slightly different levels of far-right rule. A country where democracy is basically gone, and looking at the situation now we're well on our way to that.

It's amazing that there's such a negative atmosphere from this crap that the idea of Palestine or the state of Israel being talked about consistently is virtually non-existent right across the Labour and Green Parties. A lot of other people that do speak out (especially Jews) get threatened too, have seen it mentioned a good few times and for every one that speaks out there must be quite a lot that choose to stay silent, no idea what that does for them psychologically. And it's things like this that prove we're sliding in to far right territory, where these idiots can do this and not face any consequences from members of political parties because MP's daren't put their careers at risk. So we're already well on the way to being a shitty little fascist country where people don't feel safe enough to speak, and if they do they get real life threats and their careers being put at risk.

So Labour and Greens have a responsibility to do something soon because if they don't we have no other left wing parties that can get a message out to people well enough and the right-wingers and fascists will only gain in strength.

I think anyone who wants to be the leader would be wise to sign up their demands IMO. We’ve seen what happened to Jeremy Corbyn trying to fight for human rights in Palestine openly. The most important thing at the moment is to get votes, IMO... and the last thing the party needs is another attack from the right wing media weaponising anti-semitism and conflating support for Palestinians with hatred towards Jews.

Sounds like Liverpool council were prosecuting too many slum landlords. 

The council has carried out over 37,000 compliance actions, issued more than 2,500 legal and fixed penalty notices and prosecuted almost 250 landlords.

The impact has meant that Liverpool alone has been responsible for 389% of the 460% national rise in prosecutions between 2012 and 2018.

I'm getting increasingly pissed off at Clive Lewis only having 4 votes now, one of them is his own. There's 202 members in the party, Starmer for some reason has 68 which is completely over the top and there's about 50 left to decide. Get Clive on the ballot for fuck's sake.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

I'm getting increasingly pissed off at Clive Lewis only having 4 votes now, one of them is his own. There's 202 members in the party, Starmer for some reason has 68 which is completely over the top and there's about 50 left to decide. Get Clive on the ballot for fuck's sake.

Well, you say it’s over the top but isn’t it just an indicator of his popularity and appeal? 

Despite all the talk of disastrous defeats they don't seem open to more debate - the last time they they lent votes to widen the debate Corbyn won is what a few are thinking. With Clive Lewis he is rightfully proposing open selection but MPs don't want to nominate a person who challenges the legtimacy of their position. I'm sceptical of PR but after four election defeats and a change in demographics it is hard to ignore the case for at least being much more open and receptive. I doubt Labour would be interested in PR until they lost even more seats though. If they get enough seats and are in power you ignore PR if you have fewer seats you want it. 

5 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Long-Bailey is an LFI member so not really expecting much different from her. Might as well save money by scrapping the leadership election and just give the job to the Chief Rabbi.

She's not listed on the LFI website. Phillips and Thornberry seem to be the only leadership contenders on there, and those two are also supporters of LFPME.

1 minute ago, Denny Crane said:

I doubt Labour would be interested in PR until they lost even more seats. If they get enough seats you ignore PR if you have fewer seats you want it. 

That's not a very principled stance, is it. I would hope people support fair votes regardless of whether or not it is personally beneficial for them.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

That's not a very principled stance, is it. I would hope people support fair votes regardless of whether or not it is personally beneficial for them.

I agree it isn't a principled stance just commentating on how Labour view it. Maybe when the Greens wipe your lot out we can go for it. 

2 minutes ago, Denny Crane said:

I agree it isn't a principled stance just commentating on how Labour view it. Maybe when the Greens wipe your lot out we can go for it. 

Oh, it's just I thought Labour was the paragon of virtue and principle these days. And liberalism is still the future, so you'll be waiting a long time.

36 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, you say it’s over the top but isn’t it just an indicator of his popularity and appeal? 

Him being popular isn't the issue, it's more that once someone has their nomination secured it'd be good if MP's could recognise that and then think more about helping other candidates get on the ballot. There's 40+ nominations there that could've got Lewis and even though I'm not really a fan, Thornberry with enough too. I suppose if they're often from the right of the party though they're not interested anyway.