You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

8 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

"those who should see the value in collective endevour leading to prosperity."

This has absolutely nothing to do with what he wrote. Nothing. He couldn't have possibly written anything less interested in collectivism. Mocks austerity, and wants to be David Beckham. He's a fucking Del Boy caricature.

"We're mostly grafters, who have a bit of money but want a lot more of it'"

Well, I would be interested in how he thinks society should go about achieving this. Does he want it just for him? Would he be happy to sacrifice large chunks of the public sector to increase the relatively small chances of rolex/mercedes lifestyle? Further moves towards the dog eat dog world seen in the US? Millions more kids living in poverty? 

Labour needs to find a way of getting the message to people that investing in public services, increasing a minimum wage, helping small businesses, etc, will benefit the vast majority of people. Sharpen the message, stop the gaffs. 

They can't be trying to build the society this fella wants. 

Cool.

You see that point just off there, over yonder? 

That’s the point you missed.

17 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

"those who should see the value in collective endevour leading to prosperity."

This has absolutely nothing to do with what he wrote. Nothing. He couldn't have possibly written anything less interested in collectivism. Mocks austerity, and wants to be David Beckham. He's a fucking Del Boy caricature.

"We're mostly grafters, who have a bit of money but want a lot more of it'"

Well, I would be interested in how he thinks society should go about achieving this. Does he want it just for him? Would he be happy to sacrifice large chunks of the public sector to increase the relatively small chances of rolex/mercedes lifestyle? Further moves towards the dog eat dog world seen in the US? Millions more kids living in poverty? 

Labour needs to find a way of getting the message to people that investing in public services, increasing a minimum wage, helping small businesses, etc, will benefit the vast majority of people. Sharpen the message, stop the gaffs. 

They can't be trying to build the society this fella wants. 

in-the-80s-harry-enfield.jpg?w=1086&h=12

1 hour ago, Bruce Spanner said:

A generation back he’d have been raised labour and thought the Conservatives scum through muscle memory, but somewhere along the line this was lost, maybe Blair and his centre left drive, or Cameron and cuddly conservatism, maybe it was Commandant Corbyn, but it was lost and if we ever stand a chance of any semblance of power we need to figure out how to get Mr Self Interest invested in his community and country.

I'd look even further back, to Thatcher: specifically with her whole "no such thing as society" proramme, including Right to Buy, the introduction of "competition" into things like school education and the destruction of the  unions, as a place where solidarity and collective action are fostered.

21 hours ago, Captain Turdseye said:

If my boy Clive makes it as far as TV debates then a lot of people will swing towards him. I’m sure of it. He’s just not getting the same amount of publicity as the more prominent names. Him making it that far is a big ‘if’ though. 

Obviously Jess Philips is a no-no but the choice between Starmer and RLB is just so uninspiring. I think it’s pretty clear that Starmer has better leadership potential and would probably be less divisive but I’d like him to explain some of the more unsavoury things in his voting record.

Genuinely interested could you flesh out the voting record concerns you have when you have time ?  (I havent a scooby) . 

48 minutes ago, clockspeed said:

Genuinely interested could you flesh out the voting record concerns you have when you have time ?  (I havent a scooby) . 

His voting record is pretty good, to be fair. The bits that jump out are him abstaining on the welfare bill and voting against investigations into the Iraq War. He was also part of the coup trying to oust Corbyn early on which doesn’t exactly endear him to me. 

That said, he seems to be saying a lot of the right things at the moment and would probably be my second choice behind Clive Lewis right now purely because the rest of the candidates are either ‘meh’ or completely unpalatable. 

If there’s a massive lurch to the right then I think I’m out. I’ll vote Labour but I won’t be putting any more of my time and money into it. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

His voting record is pretty good, to be fair. The bits that jump out are him abstaining on the welfare bill and voting against investigations into the Iraq War. He was also part of the coup trying to oust Corbyn early on which doesn’t exactly endear him to me. 

That said, he seems to be saying a lot of the right things at the moment and would probably be my second choice behind Clive Lewis right now purely because the rest of the candidates are either ‘meh’ or completely unpalatable. 

If there’s a massive lurch to the right then I think I’m out. I’ll vote Labour but I won’t be putting any more of my time and money into it. 

Appreciated 

29 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

London-based Remain-backing QC... yup the person to win back them Workington men votes.

He's not quite on over privileged, Eton educated, born to rule oaf who they lapped up at the last election, you're right.

Maybe Starmer should start talking in Latin riddle and whipping the house boy, that'll endear him!

Just now, Bruce Spanner said:

He's not quite on over privileged, Eton educated, born to rule oaf who they lapped up at the last election, you're right.

Maybe Starmer should start talking in Latin riddle and whipping the house boy, that'll endear him!

Boris Johnson had Brexit going for him. He picked the right horse pre-referendum, and stayed strong. His strong stance on Brexit won him the election IMO.

9 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

That lad replying is one of the tiny number of people active in my branch. He’s on the Starmer bus. Mad seeing his name posted on here! Algorithms are creepy as fuck. 

Yeah, alright Code. How many people are you backing?