You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

11 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I had a quick look at the links and the cases you mentioned, it’s very murky waters. Without knowing the details of each trial or why the judges decided to find  that the accusers were untruthful (and judging from the judge’s comments... they had me ch stronger opinions than that) it’s hard to really comment. I have to be honest, it looks as if the campaigners are against punishing those who knowingly make false allegations of rape. I understand the reason they give for that but - as with the punishing of those who are proven to be fraudulently claiming benefits - I have no issue with punishing them if there’s proof of it. 

Moving on to the conviction rate in rape trials, I think it’s be important to note the figures before and after his time, and the steps he took to drive down conviction rates, and also the comparative prosecution rates of other countries’ systems to see if its a case of Keirsy being on the side of the raper (either through incompetence or through him being a horrible bastard) rather than just a case of rape being difficult to prove and being very complex cases, etc. If it showed a marked decrease because of actions he had taken, rather than been the same across multiple people and different countries, then I’d certainly change my view on him. Right now, it feels a bit like it’s a case of trying to see if any shit sticks. 

Before he was dpp it was easier to prosecute and convict rapists, when he was dpp measures were introduced to make it more difficult. Now the prosecution rate, not the conviction rate, the prosecution rate is around 1.5%. You think that’s me slinging mud? With respect, I don’t think I’m going to discuss this topic with you anymore. 

6 minutes ago, moof said:

Before he was dpp it was easier to prosecute and convict rapists, when he was dpp measures were introduced to make it more difficult. Now the prosecution rate, not the conviction rate, the prosecution rate is around 1.5%. You think that’s me slinging mud? With respect, I don’t think I’m going to discuss this topic with you anymore. 

Righto. I'll have a look myself. I've seen this on twitter, and I was referring to the overall tactic of taking him to task on things rather than you throwing shit. If you've come up with this independently of that, I apologise - I wasn't accusing you of throwing shit. I was talking generally. The wider implication of this is that he's a bit of a nasty, rape-apologising fucker. So, for me, it requires accurate investigation to determine an opinion. That's all.

12 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Righto. I'll have a look myself. I've seen this on twitter, and I was referring to the overall tactic of taking him to task on things rather than you throwing shit. If you've come up with this independently of that, I apologise - I wasn't accusing you of throwing shit. I was talking generally. The wider implication of this is that he's a bit of a nasty, rape-apologising fucker. So, for me, it requires accurate investigation to determine an opinion. That's all.

No, the implication is he failed in his duty to protect rape victims. The “nasty, rape-apologising” stuff, you’ve just invented. You don’t have to maliciously set out to destroy thousands of peoples lives to destroy thousands of peoples lives. I don’t know if you know anybody who has tried to bring their rapist to justice, but take it from me, the process is *hell*

i already said in my previous post you can’t pin the blame on him alone, but he was the Director of Public Prosecutions. The top schlong. So where does the buck stop? 

2 minutes ago, moof said:

No, the implication is he failed in his duty to protect rape victims. The “nasty, rape-apologising” stuff, you’ve just invented.

Sorry, but if you fail in your duty to protect rape victims, you're not too far away from that. If you want to split hairs on that, fine. For me, it's the same ballpark. If, under his watch, he has allowed it to become harder to prosecute rapists - rather than something different, like holding to account those who are proven to have lied and falsified claims (and I strongly support holding those people to account) - then it's one and the same. 

Right now, I'm far more concerned with what the actual facts are, if he actually failed to protect them and in what what, what role he played, how it was before and after, and how it compares with other countries. I just want a fuller picture before I make a judgment for myself. 

7 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I for one am shocked that Starmer's record as DPP wasn't an issue for the Labour Left until there was a leadership vacancy which he was thought to have a good chance of filling.

Yeah, as somebody on here said the other day it was always going to get dragged out - everything that happens in that entire system is now open to him being at fault for it. The same way that everything done in any part of the Labour Party under Corbyn is his responsibility. I do suspect nuance is more likely to be applied to those situations than Starmer who seems to be painted as a Blairite, despite recently saying no lurch to the right, talking about broad churches (which I guess isn't okay with some, but has always been okay with me), and criticising the Blair government. 

I don't know everything about his time at the CPS, but from a cursory glance he seems to have done a lot of good. 

21 minutes ago, Gnasher said:

As he should, I'm not a massive fan but he must out of all the candidates be the one with the best chance to beat the tories surely?

100%.

There was a shrewdness about that video which was promising at this early stage.

Future of the party at stake just now, as well as the country.