You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The New Leader of the Labour Party

Numero Veinticinco

2 minutes ago, Moo said:

Those suggesting Burnham, on what basis? He has become the invisible man of Manchester Council, very disappointing. 

Desperation mainly.

It feels like its a long long way back for Labour. As much as I can see Johnson making many fuck ups over the next 4 to 5 years he will be difficult to shift with his working class supporters behind him. The new Labour leader will have had 4 to 5 years of smears in that time also.

32 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Is Jarvis the cunt who writes in the right wing newspapers , Glenda Jackson's Son ? If so , No way Jose

Jarvis seems like a good one. Not a likely candidate in the near future, as after his wife died of cancer, a few years ago, he decided to stay on the backbenches and spend time with his kids. Makes him ok with me.

2 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

That is the cunt known as Dan Hodges.

I think we've learnt from Roy Hodge and Margaret Hodge that Hodges don't work.

Looks like it's going to be RLB. If she wins it and fails due to being a "Corbynite", I think Labour is about done for and someone's going to need to start a new party. Just let the bastards have Labour and start something new with the right people in it from the off. They can't rant and rave about clearing Corbynites out of a party made from them and similar others in the first place, and would just have to deal with it.

If Farage can get something like the Brexit Party going so quickly out of nowhere then someone on the left can do the same. I think the left is way too attached to this party and if it's not getting anywhere we have to move on.

I think it's becoming clearer why they need the Labour Party back under control though after what we saw with Corbyn. They need to maintain the illusion of democracy, and if they keep having to break democracy like they did this election and deny Labour power, then the UK is exposed as a one party authoritarian dictatorship and they can't accuse other countries of having the same problem. That's the issue with wanting total control I suppose, eventually people wake up to it and it's either backing down (allowing democracy) or full on fascism. Fascism is a lot closer now so seems like they've about reached their limits.

A new party would give the element of surprise though and have zero baggage, right wingers settled in/claiming ownership. Could be the only thing that'll work over time if this next attempt with Labour fails.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

Looks like it's going to be RLB. If she wins it and fails due to being a "Corbynite", I think Labour is about done for and someone's going to need to start a new party. Just let the bastards have Labour and start something new with the right people in it from the off. They can't rant and rave about clearing Corbynites out of a party made from them and similar others in the first place, and would just have to deal with it.

If Farage can get something like the Brexit Party going so quickly out of nowhere then someone on the left can do the same. I think the left is way too attached to this party and if it's not getting anywhere we have to move on.

I think it's becoming clearer why they need the Labour Party back under control though after what we saw with Corbyn. They need to maintain the illusion of democracy, and if they keep having to break democracy like they did this election and deny Labour power, then the UK is exposed as a one party authoritarian dictatorship and they can't accuse other countries of having the same problem. That's the issue with wanting total control I suppose, eventually people wake up to it and it's either backing down (allowing democracy) or full on fascism. Fascism is a lot closer now so seems like they've about reached their limits.

A new party would give the element of surprise though and have zero baggage, right wingers settled in/claiming ownership. Could be the only thing that'll work over time if this next attempt with Labour fails.

Most of them should be fucked off to another party themselves for disloyalty and they can take their 'private business/tory party' sponsorship with them,the cunts. Fuck joining Labour to enhance your career,you work for ordinary people who have no other representation.

8 hours ago, Red Phoenix said:

The brexit party got zero MPs.  It was essentially a pressure group to steal votes from left wing leave voters.  There’s no equivalent thing for the left to do to the right.

The labour brand or name or whatever you want to call it is too valuable to just toss away for the left or the right.  The party will never be “done” either regardless of what happens.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, 1892-LFCWasBorn said:

They will go for a female leader, so that rules out Starmer.

If I could choose anyone for leader not in the running, then I would want Andy Burnham.

Given that's impossible at the moment, I would choose Rayner. I really like her. She's very personable and reckon she could relate to a shitload of voters in regions where Labour lost seats.

There's something Long-Bailey that just doesn't sit right with me. Don't dislike her, just think Rayner offers shitloads more.

Thornbury and Phillips can get fucked as far as I'm concerned. They are both vile in every sense.

Feels like Labour are going to appoint a woman not because she'll be the best candidate,  but because they've never had a female leader. They don't want to walk out of an anti semitism row and into a sexist one.

29 minutes ago, Mudface said:

I'm really not convinced by Long-Bailey at all. Rayner looks to be by far the better candidate.

People will convince themselves that she’s electable and will rally behind her. Well, the same people that considered Corbyn electable rather than somebody who, at best, couldn’t convince them of Labour’s fitness for office, will get behind her. 

I need an Ari Gold gif for this. 

Edit: Ah yes.

tumblr_my6xlanKNy1qzt7d8o1_400.gif

46 minutes ago, The Guest said:

The brexit party got zero MPs.  It was essentially a pressure group to steal votes from left wing leave voters.  There’s no equivalent thing for the left to do to the right.

The labour brand or name or whatever you want to call it is too valuable to just toss away for the left or the right.  The party will never be “done” either regardless of what happens.

You might be right but we have no idea if they'll ever recover to what they used to be. Corbyn had a few years and now we're stuck wondering what's going to happen again. This is because the system is now too broken by the looks of it to allow for democracy. We've just watched what happened, and I'm not sure if it's possible for Labour to get around this. Almost the entire system is stacked against it, and every year the Tories have in power they're rigging it to be worse.

So what next? Pick any Labour leader and they'll spend the next several years being attacked, smeared and the media will be biased against him/her. Then we go into another election where the lies and smears start up again in proportion to how much the leader wants to change the system and what the manifesto is.

The system is broken, so we're running out of options :

1) The government fails due to brexit and other corruption (people like Cummings should even have the right wingers turning against the government soon because he'll probably try to introduce too much change, this guy seems like he'll be out like Bannon was. He's too extreme even for the system to allow I'd guess.)

2) Labour water down their manifesto, but how does that help? Less voters will care.

3) The voting system is changed, because our current way of doing things keeps leading to failure. How's this going to happen though? We need most MP's voting it in. This was one of Corbyn's biggest errors, not pushing for this. It would've drastically reduced his chances of being PM with a Labour majority, but in the long run one of the best options to start raising awareness and allowing more chance for future change.

I can't see any option now where a genuine Labour get into power. The manifesto and leader either go for real change which results in the establishment turning against them, or they water things down which results in less people voting for them. The only way Blair got in was with the help of Murdoch. It's basically a one party system that allows for a Labour gov every so often if they sell out to provide an illusion.

Maybe the thing we have to finally face now as a country is accepting that the system has been badly broken for decades and the structure needs big changes to allow for democracy.

You know things are bad when the only hope you have is that the government collapses due to it's own corruption.

That isn't democracy and this government might finally start waking people up to that fact. Fuck knows where it leads to, but when you look at the mass protests going on around the world and the chaos, maybe it's not a very good place.

17 minutes ago, Red Phoenix said:

You might be right but we have no idea if they'll ever recover to what they used to be. Corbyn had a few years and now we're stuck wondering what's going to happen again. This is because the system is now too broken by the looks of it to allow for democracy. We've just watched what happened, and I'm not sure if it's possible for Labour to get around this. Almost the entire system is stacked against it, and every year the Tories have in power they're rigging it to be worse.

So what next? Pick any Labour leader and they'll spend the next several years being attacked, smeared and the media will be biased against him/her. Then we go into another election where the lies and smears start up again in proportion to how much the leader wants to change the system and what the manifesto is.

The system is broken, so we're running out of options :

1) The government fails due to brexit and other corruption (people like Cummings should even have the right wingers turning against the government soon because he'll probably try to introduce too much change, this guy seems like he'll be out like Bannon was. He's too extreme even for the system to allow I'd guess.)

2) Labour water down their manifesto, but how does that help? Less voters will care.

3) The voting system is changed, because our current way of doing things keeps leading to failure. How's this going to happen though? We need most MP's voting it in. This was one of Corbyn's biggest errors, not pushing for this. It would've drastically reduced his chances of being PM with a Labour majority, but in the long run one of the best options to start raising awareness and allowing more chance for future change.

I can't see any option now where a genuine Labour get into power. The manifesto and leader either go for real change which results in the establishment turning against them, or they water things down which results in less people voting for them. The only way Blair got in was with the help of Murdoch. It's basically a one party system that allows for a Labour gov every so often if they sell out to provide an illusion.

Maybe the thing we have to finally face now as a country is accepting that the system has been badly broken for decades and the structure needs big changes to allow for democracy.

You know things are bad when the only hope you have is that the government collapses due to it's own corruption.

That isn't democracy and this government might finally start waking people up to that fact. Fuck knows where it leads to, but when you look at the mass protests going on around the world and the chaos, maybe it's not a very good place.

I agree with all of that and it’s depressing but these things are cyclical.  People will get sick of the tories in the end like they had done by 97.  The most important thing is that when that happens it’s not a right wing Labour Party that it’s competing against.

11 hours ago, Moo said:

Starmer is far too ponderous and stuttery, I really don't think he speaks well (in the parliament environment) at all. 

Those suggesting Burnham, on what basis? He has become the invisible man of Manchester Council, very disappointing. 

You must be watching different things to me... he's always looked excellent and will tear the fat cunt Johnson a new one in PMQ

RLB is a no from me. Can't stand her voice and dislike that she's seemingly been anointed as our next leader

We get a vote in this you useless twats

5 minutes ago, The Guest said:

I agree with all of that and it’s depressing but these things are cyclical.  People will get sick of the tories in the end like they had done by 97.  The most important thing is that when that happens it’s not a right wing Labour Party that it’s competing against.

I hope you're right, hard to be optimistic when things are this bad but maybe a few years of Johnson will sort most of that and the public will finally vote them out.

1 hour ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Feels like Labour are going to appoint a woman not because she'll be the best candidate,  but because they've never had a female leader. They don't want to walk out of an anti semitism row and into a sexist one.

Yep, I had a woman on Facebook telling me last night that the new leader MUST be a woman. I haven’t even got the energy to call her a twat. 

Still Clive for me, Clive. 

44 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Yep, I had a woman on Facebook telling me last night that the new leader MUST be a woman. I haven’t even got the energy to call her a twat. 

Still Clive for me, Clive. 

It's Clive for based on that little thread.

8 minutes ago, viRdjil said:

Could the fact that he’s a man of colour prove problematic in winning back votes from the socially conservative electorates? The so-called Red Wall...

I hate even beginning to agree with you here, it's such a fucking horrible thought. But, I have similar reservations. Same with it being a woman, actually.

Does it really need to be a white man to get Stoke and Barrow on board in sufficient numbers?

Fuck, please tell me I'm being paranoid. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jairzinho said:

I hate even beginning to agree with you here, it's such a fucking horrible thought. But, I have similar reservations. Same with it being a woman, actually.

Does it really need to be a white man to get Stoke and Barrow on board in sufficient numbers?

Fuck, please tell me I'm being paranoid. 

I was saying the same yesterday. I’m afraid you’re more than likely not being paranoid, which is depressing as fuck.