You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Takumi Minamino

aRdja

I remember years ago reading something with Vlad - might even have been in the fanzine - where he admitted he struggled at Liverpool in part because he never believed he was good enough to play for us. The football equivalent of imposter syndrome when you get a new job or promotion.

I get that feeling with Taki. 

Delighted he’s been able to contribute what he has to us, in part because we probably wouldn’t have won the things we’ve own without his contribution but also so that it validates his place in our successes.

17 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I remember years ago reading something with Vlad - might even have been in the fanzine - where he admitted he struggled at Liverpool in part because he never believed he was good enough to play for us. The football equivalent of imposter syndrome when you get a new job or promotion.

I get that feeling with Taki. 

Delighted he’s been able to contribute what he has to us, in part because we probably wouldn’t have won the things we’ve own without his contribution but also so that it validates his place in our successes.

I've never been good enough to play for Liverpool Ladies let alone the men's team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The great thing about Taki is he's very coachable. He learns really quickly. When he first arrived I've never seen a player at that level get in the way of teammates so often, but now he's really locked into Klopp's patterns of play and makes very clever runs into space. He's not selfish enough in the box - he could have scored several more goals in the cup games but he was always looking to set up the 'senior' players - but, again, he looks like he can improve on that, too. If Curtis Jones learnt as well as Taki does he'd be more of a regular by now.

Am I the only one pissed off he didn't celebrate last night? It's probably the biggest goal he's ever scored and he sticks the arms up in apology. Fuck that shit, you where there for 2 weeks, no one will even remember in 2 years.

• Upvote 2

21 minutes ago, No2 said:

Am I the only one pissed off he didn't celebrate last night? It's probably the biggest goal he's ever scored and he sticks the arms up in apology. Fuck that shit, you where there for 2 weeks, no one will even remember in 2 years.

I thought it was a bit weird. But then he’s Japanese, very polite society.

1 hour ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I get that feeling with Taki

Same. He always seems to be on the outside during trophy celebrations. Peripheral players like Brewster would be parading around with a medal like they'd scored the winning goal, meanwhile Minamino will be looking on almost sheepishly.

I feel for the lad.

I really like the lad always got a smile on his face never sulks even when he's left out an absolute spot on attitude as well he has chipped in with a decent amount of goals for the time he's spent on the pitch .

He obviously knows he's a squad player and as I said in the match thread if he's happy to be that I'd be looking at keeping him around 

47 minutes ago, No2 said:

I felt like that too.

He was on loan there for a few months, it's not like he was born there & been Southampton daft since he was 4.

Ridiculous but then so are the majority of things in top level Football now.

He obviously felt it was disrespectful to celebrate the goal, and who am i to argue with him if he feels that way?

I think he has come a long way in the celebration stakes too. I have the impression from the cup finals that he has celebrated much more vigorously than in the past. Certainly the title win. Im sure he was singing and dancing in the dressing room vids too.

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I felt like that too.

He was on loan there for a few months, it's not like he was born there & been Southampton daft since he was 4.

Ridiculous but then so are the majority of things in top level Football now.

Not really, Japanease people are the most courteous nation earth, they even apologise for saying sorry!

8 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Not really, Japanease people are the most courteous nation earth, they even apologise for saying sorry!

My knowledge of Japanese etiquette is minimal so I have to apologise.

I will never mention this incident again and will most likely kill myself this afternoon as a result of the shame I have brought upon my ancestors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Mook said:

My knowledge of Japanese etiquette is minimal so I have to apologise.

I will never mention this incident again and will most likely kill myself this afternoon as a result of the shame I have brought upon my ancestors.

You do know the proper way to do this right?

2 hours ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Yeah. They don't say 'no' if you offer them something do they? But something along the lines of 'I'm okay'.

There was a coach on a footy programme years ago. He'd been at Spurs and went to coach in the J League, he said his family fucking loved it and were all in tears when they had to come back.

Couple of nuggets I remember him saying:

"You can't bollock a player in front of his teammates, as he'll walk out and never come back."

"When you meet a stranger, the first thing you do is establish who's the oldest, and that person dictates the conversation."

5 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

I suspect he'll start on Sunday?

I wouldn't have thought so.

He has been nowhere near our best elevens all season - i see no reason why he would be near it Sunday....And for me it absolutely should be our best eleven.

No risks taken at all in a must win game and a chance to ensure no rust sets in (we struggle without rhythm so don't want key men not playing) and a week nearly before Paris.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Has anybody got their ticket yet? My mate got mine today, so I’ll have it tomorrow.

Apparently there aren’t any holograms etc on it and look easily forge. Dad knows a lad in Paris and has said there are loads of forgeries doing the rounds. 

I’ll be heading up and in early.