You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Takumi Minamino

aRdja

1 hour ago, an tha said:

I reckon if you started Minamino for 5 games and Shaqiri for 5 games that you'd get more out of those 5 games from Shaqiri.

How many seasons do you reckon we need to get 5 starts out of Shaqiri?

In do get your point though, Shaqiri will deliver goals and assists, just a shame he’s not able to stay fit for more than a couple of days at a time.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

How many seasons do you reckon we need to get 5 starts out of Shaqiri?

In do get your point though, Shaqiri will deliver goals and assists, just a shame he’s not able to stay fit for more than a couple of days at a time.

If he plays until he is 39 we might just get them!

Absolutely a shame - he can't stay fit, there is a good player there

On 09/01/2021 at 17:29, Alex_K said:

Shaqiri has scored some very big goals for the club. He has different issues (fitness; more evidently not being a part of the long-term Klopp picture; whatever reason he is in and out of top clubs frequently) but as a talented footballer there is very little comparison between him & Minamino, especially in this style of league.

'Has' being the operative word in this discussion. I have always liked Shaqiri but if it hadn't have been for covid,I'm pretty sure he wouldn't still be here now.

36 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

'Has' being the operative word in this discussion. I have always liked Shaqiri but if it hadn't have been for covid,I'm pretty sure he wouldn't still be here now.

Has is better than none?

4 minutes ago, Doctor Troy said:

I think we only signed Shaqiri because he cost £13m after relegation. If he had no clause in his contract and he was £30m we would never have been interested in him. 

I think it's fair to say the same about minamino and Karius in recent years. Maybe even thiago because of his reduced cost at the end of a contract, matip, Danny Inga and probably more I can't remember. I certainly think a key part of our transfer policy is getting a deal so if they don't work out we would likely recoup our money or maybe even make a profit.

I think it's all about the spreadsheet, we have a value against everyone and we've probably some algorithm that calculates how likely they are to succeed and how much benefit they can bring (for instance we wouldn't spend on Oblak if you have alisson as you can only play one of them) which then almost creates a value to us rather than a value on the open market and if they're inside that line, we buy them. It will all be about percentages of not making a loss. So players like matip, shaq and minamino you don't need to be as sure they will work out as they're basically a gift. If you're paying at the top of that curve, they almost need to be as sure a signing as you can have. 

From what I’ve seen, Minamino is neat and tidy but not much else.

Something I think I’ve noticed, is that when he’s in space & our players spot him, they don’t pass it to him.

That might just be me and reasonably often, we don’t take the obvious pass and reverse it the other way.

It could be me reading to much into it, but I don’t think the players trust him.

I know he’s come to this country at possibly the most difficult time in history (no idea what his English is like but his family can’t visit etc etc etc).

I think he’s a bit of a nothing player. I bet we sell him to a mid-table Bundesliga side in the summer at a profit.

31 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

From what I’ve seen, Minamino is neat and tidy but not much else.

Something I think I’ve noticed, is that when he’s in space & our players spot him, they don’t pass it to him.

That might just be me and reasonably often, we don’t take the obvious pass and reverse it the other way.

It could be me reading to much into it, but I don’t think the players trust him.

I know he’s come to this country at possibly the most difficult time in history (no idea what his English is like but his family can’t visit etc etc etc).

I think he’s a bit of a nothing player. I bet we sell him to a mid-table Bundesliga side in the summer at a profit.

I reckon he will be gone in the summer for about £15m and the club will be happy to have made a profit.

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I think they do that with Jones too. I have wondered if they find the space because they're in the wrong place to progress the play in our patterns as it happens to both of them and often when it seems a simple pass. It's either that or they don't trust them. But I suspect klopp wouldn't have that. We seem to get the ball into minamino when he gets in those little tight spaces around the box, so I don't think it's a trust thing. I think he's just not always finding the right spaces. 

And actually I've just thought as I was about to press post, it happens to Neco Williams too. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think they do that with Jones too. I have wondered if they find the space because they're in the wrong place to progress the play in our patterns as it happens to both of them and often when it seems a simple pass. It's either that or they don't trust them. But I suspect klopp wouldn't have that. We seem to get the ball into minamino when he gets in those little tight spaces around the box, so I don't think it's a trust thing. I think he's just not always finding the right spaces. 

And actually I've just thought as I was about to press post, it happens to Neco Williams too. 

I think this is pretty much it. It does look like they don't 'trust' some of the fringe players but your explanation is far more plausible.

Surely players can think on their feet if  someone is in space you don't ignore it because its not part of the pattern of play, you take advantage of opportunities as and when they arise. If we are solely trying to play patterns we learn in training its no wonder we seem to be like a toy robot repeatedly bumping into a wall "does not compute". We need to mix up our play a bit more recently as we are predictable, teams are happy to watch us pass it round.

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Surely players can think on their feet if  someone is in space you don't ignore it because its not part of the pattern of play, you take advantage of opportunities as and when they arise. If we are solely trying to play patterns we learn in training its no wonder we seem to be like a toy robot repeatedly bumping into a wall "does not compute". We need to mix up our play a bit more recently as we are predictable, teams are happy to watch us pass it round.

They can be caught in two minds though like anyone I guess. You see it in virtually every player, should I play this or that pass, drive on or take the shot etc.

4 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If someone is in space, the player on the ball might ignore it, if they think that someone is shite.

Can remember loads of players who very rarely got the ball passed to them over the years. Gerrard in particular was very choosy about who he passed to, although given the ability of some of the players he had to put up with over his time at Liverpool you can understand it.

On 17/01/2021 at 11:21, Bobby Hundreds said:

I don't think it's just a question of can't they adjust, I think what happens when teams are as structure as ours, if a player isn't in the right place, you choose a different pass and wait for the opportunity to come again when all the pieces are in places. Like Wenger did for many years with arsenal, I think lots of what we do with and without the ball is very structured and is a part of the success. 

Signings like him and Shaqiri look good when they're just squad options and you don't actually have to use them. Big bargains until your top class forwards are out of form and all of a sudden you're arguing that someone with 1 Premier League goal and someone who misses half of games through injury would fix the issues.

I like him in theory and if we sold him to Southampton or Leeds I think he'd be quite good there, but I'm not sure what he's doing here, specifically.

As a veteran of the Evans, Houllier and Rafa era of mid/high seven figure 'punt' signings of next Zidanes and what not and of the countless pub and forum conversations of trying to decide whether they would come good and tying to figure out why a good performance wasn't followed up with more good performances, and how maybe it was a positioning thing. 

I've learned the hard way to embrace the occam's razor approach to these situations as in, I think he might just be shite.

• Upvote 1