You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Takumi Minamino

aRdja

Very average player signed for a very average price tag. Probably the poorest outfield player signed during the Klopp era. Ordinarily serves a marketing purpose & as FA/League Cup filler; unfortunately these are not ordinary times. Usually he wouldn’t be near the league or CL match squads.

He’s been a big disappointment.

I think he’s technically quite good, and his movement and workrate is very good. Also got a decent shot in him.

But so far seems to just lack that last bit of speed, both in head and feet. And is far too easlily brushed off the ball, I think Bissouma just went and picked it off him about 5 times yesterday. 

A very gifted and hard working footballer obviously, but right now I dont see him having what it takes to make it at the very highest level. Hope he proves me wrong.

• Upvote 2

Really wanted him to succeed here but I think he's had his chances now. If everyone was fully fit he'd be what, sixth choice for a place in the front three, eighth choice as a midfielder? He seems to lack physicality as well as a bit of confidence, doesn't protect the ball well enough when he's pressed and can't really go past an opponent.

It's a shame we've never seen the player who gave us the runaround in that Salzburg game, didn't seem to have any problems with confidence that night.

It’s hard for him as our front 3/4 are very good it’s difficult to expect him to come in and do the business when he’s scratching around for minutes or playing in teams full of reserves. When he he played well it’s usually against teams we’d expect to beat but hasn’t shown enough against teams in the league or latter stages of the CL which is where we need him to be able to come in. 

He’s better than origi and at least fit unlike Shaq or chamberlain, I’d sell him in the summer as you’d get a similar level output from a talented academy player.

He reminds me of Lallana in that there is definitely a player in there but you're at a loss where to play him without completely changing our system. He isn't a CM but he isn't a 9/winger either and you can't waste him in a 10 role because we don't have the legs in midfield. Tough one. 

4 hours ago, Mook said:
On 29/11/2020 at 22:15, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

He’s been a big disappointment.

I think he’s technically quite good, and his movement and workrate is very good. Also got a decent shot in him.

But so far seems to just lack that last bit of speed, both in head and feet. And is far too easlily brushed off the ball, I think Bissouma just went and picked it off him about 5 times yesterday. 

A very gifted and hard working footballer obviously, but right now I dont see him having what it takes to make it at the very highest level. Hope he proves me wrong.

You had me at ‘big disappointment’

On 30/11/2020 at 10:14, Bjornebye said:

He reminds me of Lallana in that there is definitely a player in there but you're at a loss where to play him without completely changing our system. He isn't a CM but he isn't a 9/winger either and you can't waste him in a 10 role because we don't have the legs in midfield. Tough one. 

Lallana was our best player for a year !

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Never seen a player quite like him.

He's almost absolutely brilliant, but instead he's utter crap. His pass is always amazing vision, but juuuuust a tiny bit too strong and it runs out of play. Or else he's completely on the wrong wavelength and he spins in behind for a great run right as the midfielder expects him to come short, or vice versa.

He's like 3% from being Iniesta but that 3% missing makes him into a crap version of Benayoun.

Part of me thinks there's a chance Klopp can, through training, get him on the same page with everyone else and he will be brilliant. Another part of me thinks that he might just be a flop.

• Upvote 1

Guest Alex_K

Inferior Benayoun is probably a fair tag. Was being out-muscled by kids at times last night. His lack of pace & physicality is a pretty fundamental problem. Probably bottom of the selection pile if all are fit. Would far rather have Shaqiri playing.

4 minutes ago, Alex_K said:

Inferior Benayoun is probably a fair tag. Was being out-muscled by kids at times last night. His lack of pace & physicality is a pretty fundamental problem. Probably bottom of the selection pile if all are fit. Would far rather have Shaqiri playing.

I disagree with your preference for Shaqiri,he looks completely lost. I think that if Minamino had more of a free role and thought he might play two games on the bounce then we might get a tune from him. Shaqiri,on the other hand,looks as surprised as most supporters that he's still at the club and plays like it. 

3 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I disagree with your preference for Shaqiri,he looks completely lost. I think that if Minamino had more of a free role and thought he might play two games on the bounce then we might get a tune from him. Shaqiri,on the other hand,looks as surprised as most supporters that he's still at the club and plays like it. 

Shaqiri's main problem is his fitness record and mad calves which just won't quit acting up. His creative quality and football intelligence is surely clear to see.

He doesnt get to play two games on the bounce either but he definitely contributes more often than not. He has been crucial in winning us a couple tight games this season. And got 2 assists last night within a few minutes coming on. If I had to choose to bring on a sub vs the Mancs, it would be definitely be Shaqiri over Minamino.

• Upvote 3

On 29/11/2020 at 11:35, 3 Stacks said:

Nah, if you look at Transfermarkt and sources like that, they played mostly 4-4-2/4 triple 2, either the normal kind or in a diamond (they call it 4-3-1-2). And his most played position was on the right and then the middle like you said, but they tried him out in a bunch of positions.

His most recent two seasons at RB he played on the right three times total.

About 50 times through the middle.

He also plays through the middle for country.