You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Takumi Minamino

aRdja

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He is not really a little fella, is the same size as Mane and Salah - he just has nowhere near the lower body strength.

That is shocking to me. Mane wrestles off and routinely powers through 2,3 or 4 players at a time. Minamino can't weigh more than 10st.

Technically, he's not a bad player and it was worth it to bring him in given the price, but it's obvious he doesn't have whatever "it factor" top players have that make them top players.

Whether it's that irrational confidence to be ambitious with the ball and to impose themselves in games or however people want to describe it, he doesn't seem to have an ounce of that. 

The thing that annoys me about him, and it's not his fault, but when we signed him, the shill club journos basically described him as the "real crown jewel" of Salzburg, or something ridiculous to that effect. Like, it wasn't enough we had bought a seemingly nice player on a bargain, no. He was better than Haaland and Szoboszlai and all the nice players they had. That threw me off, it was weird. If the club actually thought that... Yikes. 

14 minutes ago, m0e said:

Played a totally different position in a different formation for Red Bull. Square peg in a round he, which is not usual for a Klopp signing.

You can use that rationale for lots of failed signings, but for this one, I think Minamino's just stunk out loud, wherever we've put him. He's not played in a 10 role or in a front two as much here as he did in Austria, but Salzburg aren't very different in style of play to us at all. They're quite similar.

Granted he knew the league, but Jota would have had that excuse as well. Played in a pure counter attacking side, 3 at the back, mostly with a strike partner, yet he's come in and tore it up immediately. 

I can't see him making it here, even as an impact player off the bench or someone versatile who can drop in across front when required.

That said it would be better for him and give him more of a chance to make it if he could get more game time in one position to try and establish himself, get some rhythm and bed in....but the problem is where - you wouldn't pick him in any of the positions he might be best suited to over anyone we currently have in there or our options to mix the front 3.

Short of an injury crisis like the one at the back, he just isn't gonna dislodge anyone - he isn't the answer even in midfield with our current problems in there.

He's a winger really isn't he and maybe Klopp was hoping he could turn out like Mane and Salah in terms of our style....

I think (could be wrong) he played down left for Salzburg yet here i can't recall seeing him down left for us - seen  on the right and through the middle of a front three, and maybe as a No.10 and then yesterday in midfield.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

a winger really isn't he and maybe Klopp was hoping he could turn out like Mane and Salah in terms of our style....

Think he has been most effective over the last few years through the middle but with someone ahead of him. 

He is not quick enough to be a winger, at least in the is league.

2 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Think he has been most effective over the last few years through the middle but with someone ahead of him. 

He is not quick enough to be a winger, at least in the is league.

Had a look on transfermarkt and they have him pegged as a LW...didn't see much of him before he came here so not sure where he has been st his best.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/takumi-minamino/profil/spieler/165793

2 minutes ago, an tha said:

Had a look on transfermarkt and they have him pegged as a LW...didn't see much of him before he came here so not sure where he has been st his best.

No, I don't think that is correct. Maybe just this year for us but he definitely played through the middle and off the right for RB. The couple of times I have seen him w Japon he was through the middle as well.

25 minutes ago, an tha said:

The thing with Minamino was supposed to be you could basically put him anywhere. He seemed to play in every attacking position at Salzburg. Behind the striker, right, left, with a partner up front. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

You can use that rationale for lots of failed signings, but for this one, I think Minamino's just stunk out loud, wherever we've put him. He's not played in a 10 role or in a front two as much here as he did in Austria, but Salzburg aren't very different in style of play to us at all. They're quite similar.

Granted he knew the league, but Jota would have had that excuse as well. Played in a pure counter attacking side, 3 at the back, mostly with a strike partner, yet he's come in and tore it up immediately. 

They played a 4231 counter attacking game and he played in the middle of the 3 behind Haaland. There is absolutely no role like that at Liverpool.

Agree on using that as an excuse for other signings, but the versatile ones (Milner, Gini, Mane, etc) are usually big, strong and super fit. Again, he has none of this.

55 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The thing with Minamino was supposed to be you could basically put him anywhere. He seemed to play in every attacking position at Salzburg. Behind the striker, right, left, with a partner up front. 

Hasn't looked like case here so far, has it.

I do think it is hard for him getting a few mins here and there, then a start in one position followed by coming on for a bit in another....but he hasn't shown enough even allowing for that.

5 minutes ago, m0e said:

They played a 4231 counter attacking game and he played in the middle of the 3 behind Haaland. There is absolutely no role like that at Liverpool.

Agree on using that as an excuse for other signings, but the versatile ones (Milner, Gini, Mane, etc) are usually big, strong and super fit. Again, he has none of this.

Nah, if you look at Transfermarkt and sources like that, they played mostly 4-4-2/4 triple 2, either the normal kind or in a diamond (they call it 4-3-1-2). And his most played position was on the right and then the middle like you said, but they tried him out in a bunch of positions.

So I don't think you can say well, he's a #10 and we've never played him there so that explains part of why he's bad. He's played in loads of other positions throughout his career. And Salzburg do have a pretty similar style to us in terms of pressing and intensity, that's pretty well documented. The style and position shouldn't really be an issue. He's just not been good on the pitch for whatever reason. 

Maybe he'd be fine in a counter-attacking side like Spurs,Villa or Leicester where he'd be getting quite a lot of the ball in space and with time. From what we've seen, he's just not big, skilful or fast enough to pick his way through a packed defence. 

• Upvote 1