You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Takumi Minamino

aRdja

5 hours ago, Brownie said:

I asked DT about this yesterday....

Apparently our game was originally scheduled for 1st Jan and he wouldn't have been able to play (because the registration happens on the 1st and wouldn't be complete in time). The game was subsequently moved to the 2nd but he's not allowed to play because we'd have an unfair advantage of being able to select a newly registered player when the sides that played yesterday couldn't have done the same.

Didnt stop sky moving that united game to the Sunday so cantona's suspension ended on the Saturday meaning he was free to play when he shouldnt have (in my opinion).

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Didnt stop sky moving that united game to the Sunday so cantona's suspension ended on the Saturday meaning he was free to play when he shouldnt have (in my opinion).

Beat me to it DS was just gonna bring it up corrupt Sky bastards and it was never a pen either 

Not seen much on here about Minamino's debut, but I've been thinking about it a bit today.

Not the performance so much (obviously not much to take away from a performance by a player who has had two training sessions - it was solid enough, I suppose) but the position he played.

I know he's meant to be very versatile and maybe we shouldn't infer too much from a single game but I thought it was very interesting that he played through the centre, in the Bobby role, rather than out wide or in midfield. When he played against us for Salzburg it was that very possibility that intrigued me - a technically gifted pressing maniac who is as good a provider as he is a scorer? It sounds very "Firmino."

Anyway, it should be very interesting as we move forward to see if that's where he plays most of the time. Finding a like-for-like backup for Firmino has always seemed like a very challenging task as he's such a unique player. Would be outstanding if we manage to find a comparable player, in quality as well as style, and do it for only 7 million.

• Upvote 2

Agree with above. The position he played often at Salzburg, at the tip of a diamond, is very similar to where Firmino positions himself for us anyway.

On his performance, he wasn't sharp technically having not played for a month, but I thought his movement was really good. Sharp and intelligent.

15 minutes ago, DimReaper said:

I thought exactly the same thing. I had assumed he'd be playing left with Origi centre. 

Origy looks comfortable on the left and has a great crossing delivery. Just wish we could see it more often. Never thought of him as a winger but he fulfills most of the requirements and is willing to track back to defend. 

Perhaps Takumi will be used more as a false 9 role but it will be interesting to see how his link up play develops.

At some point, I can see Klopp experimenting with a front 4 diamond with Bobby at the tip and Minamino at the base, backed up by 2 midfield workhorses, with the idea that Bobby and Minamino alternate who drops deep and who pushes forward. The idea would be to engage the oppposition's centre backs and holding midfielders to decide if they should cover the man or cover the space, while we'll still have the pace and incision from the likes of Mo and Sadio from wide areas, backed up by the marauding full backs Trent and Robbo.

That front 6 could be made up of Binho, Gini, Mina, Mane, Mino and Mo. Opponents would be so confused with the teamsheet they'll barely realise this lot are tearing them a new arsehole.

What delighted me was that he slipped right into it. No dodgy first touches or mis-placed passes but he looked comfortable in his surroundings. I am expecting big things from our Scouse Samurai and I'm learning Japanese, I'm learning Japanese. 

Klopp before the game: "Right lad, go out there and taste the atmosphere, feel the pressure and do what you can. Everton are going to try and kick fuck out of you so don't put yourself in any compromising positions where they can have you. It's not a massive game for us, we've got wayyyyy bigger fish to fry, but it'd be nice to walk away with at least a draw. You need to feel what's going on over here, work your way around the game and pick up what bits you can. So go and do what you can. No stress, no expectations from anyone here. OK?"