You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Private jet trouble at Speke. John Henry?

rb14

In terms of our Mike's excursion at Speke, seems a real possibility there was trouble with the RET (Rapid Exit Taxiway). Very near where the plane ended up, not only is there a massive change in the taxiway surfacing, but in dark/murky/rainy conditions, I wouldn't want to be using the white line on the right as a reference point; the surfacing suddenly changes from tarmac/concrete to grass. Here's a pic. Don't forget the plane would be exiting the runway and entering this taxiway from right to left... 

capturel_5947fa0cec812029ab4f681f64df98004b5a19a5.jpg

11 hours ago, Stouffer said:

I love reading AAIB and NTSB reports.

Now you're talking my language. Don't miss out on the French lot BEA as well. Some decent stuff on there. 

They did a great video of an Airbus windshear incident on takeoff from Bogota... 

19 hours ago, rb14 said:

You have NO idea. You think everyday life is sometimes over-governed by red tape and H&S? Try aviation. Seriously the bureaucracy is mind-boggling. You realise a simple runway excursion will result in a minimum three-month investigation examining - in minute detail - every possible factor, from the pilots, the operating company, the flight records, maintenance log, the runway condition, airport procedures, how high the grass was, weather conditions? In fact, you think of any possible influence, however remote, and you'll still get nowhere near.

The UK agency responsible, the AAIB, will probably issue an initial report pending the full report in a year's time. 

Immediately, and before any flights are allowed to proceed at Speke, they'll be examining every inch of runway, whilst they figure out in the most convoluted way possible, how to move the plane. Then they'll want to repair the grass where the jet undoubtedly dug in. I'm really not kidding. 

The only surprise is they've not put the entire airport on "lockdown". Seriously, if I hear that term being used one more fucking time. Fucking lockdown my fat arse. 

If there's a slow puncture on a baggage trolley they'll cancel a hundred flights. 

And that is how it should be. Air safety is one area where corners should never be cut. Unfortunately today's high safety levels have come about through 'Tombstone Technology' so its difficult to complain about over zealousness involving pressurised tin cans who fly at over 600mph and at almost 40,000ft off the ground.

It will probably just be that the pilot was pissed anyhow.

• 1 year later...

For anyone who is interested and @Stoufferhere's the accident report. 

The rudder is used for steering - both on and off the ground. The yoke (steering wheel thing) does nothing directionally on the ground. Foot pedals control steering for left and right. The pedals are each split laterally, the lower section of each pedal controls the rudder, the upper section applies the brakes. If you're not seated correctly, there's a tendency to inadvertently apply brakes at the extremes of rudder deflection. As speed decreases, the rudder input required to change direction increases. Add to that a couple of minor issues with seals, and a co-pilot with relatively low experience, the holes in the Swiss cheese start aligning. The manufacturer Bombardier accepts there was not sufficient guidance in the Operator's Manual. There now is. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, rb14 said:

The rudder is used for steering - both on and off the ground. The yoke (steering wheel thing) does nothing directionally on the ground. Foot pedals control steering for left and right. The pedals are each split laterally, the lower section of each pedal controls the rudder, the upper section applies the brakes. If you're not seated correctly, there's a tendency to inadvertently apply brakes at the extremes of rudder deflection. As speed decreases, the rudder input required to change direction increases. Add to that a couple of minor issues with seals, and a co-pilot with relatively low experience, the holes in the Swiss cheese start aligning. The manufacturer Bombardier accepts there was not sufficient guidance in the Operator's Manual. There now is. 

Cheers Rog'; there's nothing I love more than an investigation report.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, rb14 said:

The rudder is used for steering - both on and off the ground. The yoke (steering wheel thing) does nothing directionally on the ground. Foot pedals control steering for left and right. The pedals are each split laterally, the lower section of each pedal controls the rudder, the upper section applies the brakes. If you're not seated correctly, there's a tendency to inadvertently apply brakes at the extremes of rudder deflection. 

Sounds like it's designed to crash, Rog.

14 minutes ago, No2 said:

Linda was on the plane.

I have to say, I still cherish that day (Saturday 18th January 2014) I got a tap on the shoulder from a stunning billionairess introducing herself and wanting to start a conversation. 

It's not the sort of thing that happens very often to me.

13 minutes ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I have to say, I still cherish that day (Saturday 18th January 2014) I got a tap on the shoulder from a stunning billionairess introducing herself and wanting to start a conversation. 

Not since Grace Kelly?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, AngryofTuebrook said:

I didn't want to start a conversation. I wanted you to move out of my way, oik. 

• Upvote 3