You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Watford (H) Premier League - 14/12/19

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, m0e said:

Norwich played well but Leicester piled the pressure on second half without getting any real clear cut chances. They kept the ball well and didn't seem to panic. Norwich were able to hit them on the break though, and MOTD showed all that.

They were absolutely good for a point though. 

Mad game that yesterday. Most of our players looked like they had forgotten how to pass a ball. Even Virgil shit the bed with that bizarre back pass. It's good we can play so poorly and still win but we got lucky with those two chances they scuffed. I'm just praying there's no hangover when we come back from the world club cup. Usually we are not too good after warm weather trips.

The conditions were tricky. Not conducive to skilled passing etc.

we won with 2 moments of Salah genius, backed up by team graft.

i felt sorry for Mane. Fucking brilliant header from a sublime Shaq cross. The VAR margins are ruining football.

Guest Pistonbroke
8 hours ago, m0e said:

Norwich played well but Leicester piled the pressure on second half without getting any real clear cut chances. They kept the ball well and didn't seem to panic. Norwich were able to hit them on the break though, and MOTD showed all that.

I'll take your word for it mate and I was just going by what others said in the Other Football thread. 

I stand by what I said about the BBC in general though. I watch between 6-8 matches live of a weekend and their highlights rarely give on honest appraisal of the game and their commentary is just contrived bollocks. They obviously think people aren't capable of watching games live. 

18 hours ago, Butch said:

Var is shit, something needs to be done, another armpit offside. 

Yeah, it's really weird. I didn't think it'd be used for that type of thing. I thought the whole 'clear and obvious error' thing was simply going to be to take a look back at a penalty if it's contentious or if somebody was a mile offside. Still, I guess offside is offside. The fact that it was part of his ass cheek must have given him such an amazing advantage.

28 minutes ago, Pistonbroke said:

I'll take your word for it mate and I was just going by what others said in the Other Football thread. 

I stand by what I said about the BBC in general though. I watch between 6-8 matches live of a weekend and their highlights rarely give on honest appraisal of the game and their commentary is just contrived bollocks. They obviously think people aren't capable of watching games live. 

They need overhaul motd, get Keane and Savage on. Shearer and spud talk bollocks. It's like watching daytime TV now. 

Guest Pistonbroke
Just now, Butch said:

They need overhaul motd, get Keane and Savage on. Shearer and spud talk bollocks. It's like watching daytime TV now. 

Aye, yet it's their Jewell in their crown. 

1 hour ago, Red Shift said:

The conditions were tricky. Not conducive to skilled passing etc.

we won with 2 moments of Salah genius, backed up by team graft.

i felt sorry for Mane. Fucking brilliant header from a sublime Shaq cross. The VAR margins are ruining football.

An armpit is an armpit, can't argue with that. 

jumping-out-of-window.gif

20 hours ago, DimReaper said:

Offsides aren't supposed to be subject to a "clear and obvious" determination. They're either offside or they're not. It's always been like that since VAR came in, has it not? 

VAR only has 'clear and obvious' as criteria. That's it. So you're either offside or not, yes, and it's down to the officials to make that decision. VAR was designed only to intervene if that decision was blatantly and visibly wrong. Just like in cricket, you're either LBW or not LBW, but marginal decisions are left as umpire's call. VAR is simply being misapplied in terms of its own self-proclaimed duties. Only football organisers (or capitalists and the police, I guess) could set up the rules and then pretty much ignore them.

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

VAR only has 'clear and obvious' as criteria. That's it. So you're either offside or not, yes, and it's down to the officials to make that decision. VAR was designed only to intervene if that decision was blatantly and visibly wrong. Just like in cricket, you're either LBW or not LBW, but marginal decisions are left as umpire's call. VAR is simply being misapplied in terms of its own self-proclaimed duties. Only football organisers (or capitalists and the police, I guess) could set up the rules and then pretty much ignore them.

All goals are checked for offside. It doesn't matter how clear and obvious the offside is, if it's offside under the (possibly flawed) technology they are using, there's no goal. No one ever said an offside had to be "clear and obvious", that term refers to other decisions. Whether you, I or anyone else agrees that offsides should be judged in that way is another matter altogether, but they're not doing anything they didn't say they were going to do regarding offsides. 

• Upvote 1