You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: Central defender will not be signed in January

TLW

Jürgen Klopp has ruled out signing another central defender in the January transfer window.

The Reds are blessed to have remarkably good depth in the key defensive post and despite some injuries of late, the manager is sure he can offset their loss.

Joel Matip who had been the incumbent alongside Virgil Van Dijk has missed the last six weeks with a knee injury.

Such is the depth in that position, that current English international Joe Gomez has struggled for game-time in his natural position due to the consistent form of Matip and more recently Dejan Lovren.

The Croatian came off in the first half against Bournemouth but travelled with the squad for the all-important final Champions League group clash against Red Bull Salzburg this evening.

The Echo reported Klopp speaking on the matter:

“How can you be short of centre halves when you have four centre halves plus Fabinho? 

“Only Fabinho is injured, Matip is injured and Dejan Lovren had a problem, yes.

“ We will not sign a centre half because of injuries - that is the world outside who thinks we are short and we have to do it - but afterwards we would have six centre halves and that wouldn’t make a lot of sense.

“And you need quality.

"You can’t have just somebody [for the sake of it] - I am somebody, I am tall, not quick, but I look like a centre half at least.

The manager dispelled any doubts on the fitness of Lovren.

“Yes I am absolutely concerned [about injuries], but Lovren is not injured. It was a little bit of cramp, and the right moment to take him off, but it is cool, everybody is fine.

We spoke about squad depth, but we had 16 adult players against Everton, 14 adult players against Bournemouth - it’s not that we think we have no clue how to make a squad at the moment.

“How can I tell the boys they are not involved in the squad?

"We have no problem, there is nobody there I have to explain it to. But yes it is all good, but not perfect."

Klopp also touched on the current status of Adam Lallana, Fabinho and Matip.

matip1_600.jpg

“ Adam is not coming (to Salzburg) but will be back in training on Thursday. 

“Under pressure we probably could have used him, but we didn’t want to make pressure.

"How I said, it’s a small thing.

But the news seems more uncertain in regards to the Brazilian midfielder and Cameroon international defender.

“The only thing that is clear at this stage is that neither will play a part over the hectic festive period.

“There is no pressure from my side. 

“It’s clear they will not be in before Christmas - not this year, actually. 

“So why should we ask every five seconds if there’s some improvement or not?

“I know everybody involved is doing whatever they can. 

“There will be a moment when somebody comes to me and tells me, ‘One week for him, two weeks for him’ and I’ll start telling you."

View full article

Guest Pistonbroke

I get what Klopp is saying about buying for the sake of it, plus wanting quality and not just numbers. If you want to keep the current set of players happy then you can't be bringing in a star who expects to be on the team sheet week in week out. We can sort that out in the Summer when he looks at next season and who is in his plans. I agree with VD above, a loan deal would be perfect, maybe's a utility player who can also cover at L/B. If we are going to sign quality in January then we should do so in M/F or on a forward. 

7 minutes ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

Can't Hoevre play cb?

Don't think he is ready for top level football in that position yet. The talent on him is unreal though, so he might be. I'm not convinced he can play there yet though, but Virgil makes everyone better so I'm probably wrong.

5 hours ago, sir roger said:

I think cover for the full-backs is more important

I think Hendo and Milner are intended to be the cover if Gomez is needed at centre back. Our full backs play upfield so much there's a good argument that we may as well play midfielders there anyway in most of our games. 

But I agree that if we are spending on the defence than full back is more important.  

5 hours ago, Johnlj said:

Don't think he is ready for top level football in that position yet. The talent on him is unreal though, so he might be. I'm not convinced he can play there yet though, but Virgil makes everyone better so I'm probably wrong.

So long as you're certain.

• 3 weeks later...