You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Salzburg (A) Champions League - 17:55

Bjornebye

3 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I was just commenting on Facebook about how that was a tricky hurdle against a really good team, the best team we've faced this season. A manc mate jumped in and said they are shite apart from Haarland. I said if Utd draw them in the Europa they are going out. 

You're Manc mate is incorrect. Hwanng and the excellent Minamino were way more threatening that Haaland. They are a very good side and would sweep Man U aside. The best contest Haaland had was with a water bottle and I can't swear that Haaland won it. 

In any case I hope Man U get Saltzburg in the Europa League so your friend's theory can be put to the test. 

Best performance of the season. Not only was it a dominant display in a high pressure game, we also mentally broke this young, hungry, aggressive side. They wanted off the pitch with 25 minutes to go.

36 wins in the last 41 games is obscene stuff. I used to cheat a lot on Championship Manager and never got close to those numbers.

• Upvote 12

A good game that. Salzburg don't half commit numbers forward when they attack, which they do at pace. It leaves them vulnerable at the back, but at least they are prepared to have a go. I've got a lot more time for teams like that. They have a few players who would be a good fit in our squad, if not the first XI.

That said, we could have got close to double figures if our finishing was up to standard. And that means you, Mo! He could have had 2 hat-tricks for the number of great chances he had, and it took the most difficult chance to actually find the net. Out wide, down by the touchline, at pace and on his right foot. That was a fantastic goal but all his other attempts at goal were shite - either powderpuff or wayward.

Naby played really well again, against one of his old clubs in the box-to-box role. He deserved his goal, and he showed much more of what he is capable of. Hendo was excellent with the give-and-gos and was instrumental in getting us on the front foot quickly in transition. Gini was more understated but again played an important role.

Sadio and Bobby did OK but didn't quite have the killer edge at the decisive moment. Bobby more than anyone needs to start finding the net again soon.

Hopefully Degsy is OK, but it's a concern that he's had to be replaced for the second game in succession. Even though Klopp has shown how he can cope when we have injuries, we need to make sure we don't get too depleted over the next month. Momentum is everything.

Salzburg were very good in the first half but we gained control with those two quickfire goals in the second half. After that, we didn't bust a gut to add to the scoresheet but still created a number of very good opportunities to bury the Austrians. If Salzburg can play with that sort of purpose in the Europa League, they might get to the semis again like they did a couple of years ago.

Incidentally, this is the first time we've managed to reach the CL knockout stage after finishing runners-up in the PL the previous season. On all the other occasions, we'd taken a step back and fallen into the Europa as well as turning to shite in the league. This lot are made of sterner stuff.

We can now put Europe on the back-burner until February and focus on more pressing matters.

• Upvote 3