You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 5 Everton 2 (Dec 4 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

And to think I was actually worried about this one! In my defence, I think there were some good reasons to have some trepidation about the game, but the team selection wasn’t one of them. Not for me anyway. Far from it.

It’s easy to say now with the benefit of hindsight, but I didn’t have any issue with the five changes made by Klopp. In fact, when I saw the team I felt more relaxed about our chances than I had before. Tiredness was one of the main reasons I wasn’t feeling overly confident, but those changes alleviated those fears.

I know a lot of Reds will have been concerned about Salah and Firmino being left out, but it genuinely didn’t bother me one bit. In the Brighton report on Monday I called for Divock to be given a start, and although we haven’t seen Shaq in months he must have been looking sharp in training or Klopp wouldn’t have picked him. This was the front three that smashed Barcelona, so there was no reason to think they wouldn’t be up to the task of beating Everton.

Origi has history against the Blues at Anfield. He’s like a modern day Rushy in this fixture. Evertonians no doubt see him in their nightmares. He’s the bogeyman to them, and I’m sure he knows it too. Not playing him would have been daft really. Lallana was a surprise inclusion, but again, that didn’t bother me.

So why was I going all Han Solo and telling everyone “I have a bad feeling about this”? A few reasons really. History being one of them. We went into the game having equalled our longest ever unbeaten league run. The last time, that run was ended by Everton. Now we’re playing them again, on the exact same number of unbeaten games as last time? What are the odds on that? That type of thing always unnerves me.

Of course, Everton were actually good back then and that game was at Goodison. This was at Anfield, where Everton haven’t won for 20 years. That unnerved me too though. Eventually they will win at Anfield, and with everyone talking about how the gap between the clubs is as big as it’s been in decades, it felt like we were ripe for an upset.

The main thing that had me sweating though was how we’ve been playing, and specifically how tired I thought we looked against Brighton. That’s why I felt more confident when I saw the team.

It was a really weird game though. The way we played in that first half was strange, and nothing like what we’ve seen all season. It was like we’d turned the clock back two years. This was the return of “the Red Arrows”. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Good report   find myself nipping through the various write-ups in the papers/on line waiting for Dave’s definitive one.

Few random thoughts. First time I have seen Divock perform in line with his pre-Funes Mori purple patch. People automatically blaming Lovren for every goal we concede is getting stupid , and Everton looked dangerous going forward and a decent manager will get them top half pretty easily unfortunately.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Origi looked like the player he was before the injury. He’s fucking massive, great touch and runs everywhere in this form. It was in lovely to see him boss it. 

Negged.

4 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Origi looked like the player he was before the injury. He’s fucking massive, great touch and runs everywhere in this form. It was in lovely to see him boss it. 

Repped.

Styles make fights as it were. Silva has thrown the towel in & they are a disorganised rabble. That sort of side is always going to get put to the sword by us vs a more organised toe to toe team like Villa. They are in a really bad way .. remind me of the Boro 90s side that got relegated. Some decent individuals but tons of overpaid egos. It’s a little United Nations over there - the squad probably don’t say two words to each other away from the pitch. They’re in a bit of trouble because this season even the very worst sides Watford aside seem to have a bit of pluck. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Mane and Origi were both tremendous but Wijnaldum and Shaqiri put in very good performances, the latter was more than a pleasant surprise being as it seems an age since we last saw him due to form/fitting the desired system and injuries. I get the feeling that Klopp wasn't just resting players but also working out a different system so he can use the squad more during the busy period. Everton playing a daft high line with three defenders helped immensely though. Said to my son  after the first goal, 'Look at those idiots arguing with one another, could be a fun night.' 

Watched the game via the new network provider in the presence of Ali McMoist (who was v poor btw).

I thought that we looked great going forward but didn't close down/get to the ball enough when we were defending - very passive at times.  TAA was especially poor after he got (rightly) booked. Both goals originated down his side even though Richarlison was never touched for the free kick he "earned" that led to the corner that led to the first goal.

Not having someone (Fab or Hendo) snapping in to the tackle in front of the back four leaves them exposed at times. A better side would have caused more problems (and Everton caused too many in reality).

Having said all that, if LFC has scored 7 it would not have been flattering.  Shaq was especially sharp for someone who hadn't played for a while and Divock was a willing runner all night and Sadio was just magnificent.

PS The referee expert on Prime (Dermot G) reckoned that VVD's challenge was not a penalty.

1 hour ago, manwiththestick said:

I quite liked Ally McCoist commentating, seemed to really be enjoying himself and was waxing lyrical about us during the game. A refreshing change to the usual dullards.

Watching the Arse v B&HA tonight - Shearer is commentating - perhaps I was harsh on McMoist.

2 hours ago, manwiththestick said:

I quite liked Ally McCoist commentating, seemed to really be enjoying himself and was waxing lyrical about us during the game. A refreshing change to the usual dullards.

Agree with this. Thought he was loads better than the usual crowd.  

• dave u unpinned this topic