You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Brighton 1 (Nov 30 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Last week I wrote about how stressful these 2-1 wins have been and that it would be nice to finally have a routine 4-0 for a change. I had hoped this might be it, but no, it was another 2-1 in which we had to watch the closing stages with clenched arse cheeks.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not complaining. What’s to complain about? I read that we’ve taken 67 points from the last 69 available, which is an astonishing achievement. So yeah, this is great. I’d just like to have a relatively stress free game once in a while. For a team this good it really shouldn’t be too much to ask.

In theory we should be thumping Brighton at Anfield. Over recent seasons we’ve generally spanked the ‘lesser’ sides and haven’t had much trouble with any of them. For a while this looked to be going the same way as we raced into a two goal lead, but it ended up being a real slog even before the late drama with the sending off and the scandalous situation around the free-kick.

So what went wrong? A combination of things I’d say. Brighton are better than I realised. They lack quality but you can see they are extremely well coached. With better players they’d be quite dangerous. They reminded me of Swansea under Brendan.

Everyone knew where he should be when they had the ball, and the way they played out from the back through our press time and again was very impressive. That coach knows what he’s doing, but theres only so much you can do to bridge a massive gap in quality and we could easily have scored more than the two we did.

We didn’t get the third goal which would have made it comfortable and from about half an hour onwards I thought we looked leggy. Maybe the midweek game against Napoli caught up with us. Still, up until Alisson’s moment of madness we didn’t look in any danger.

That, combined with them scoring from the free-kick, was the turning point and after that it was all hands to the pump. We were hanging on a bit, but the defence held out without any real drama.

It all started so well as we peppered Matt Ryan’s goal. He denied Bobby twice and Ox once, but was powerless to stop Big Virg twice heading in pinpoint deliveries from Trent. There’s virtually nothing you can do to stop those goals. Maybe on the first they could have held a high line and played offside, but the second goal is impossible to prevent. Perfect ball in that is met by the tallest man on the field. Whaddayannado?

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Excellent report, not least because they are my thoughts exactly... We should have enough clout to -at least informally- demand that Atkinson is kept well away from our games. It’s reached a point where his actions are no longer merely suspicious. The not awarded penalty for Keita was the action of a ref who had pretty much decided on not giving us anything, for whatever reason. And he has certainly continued in the same vein this season.

I can’t believe more hasn’t been made of it because this is a fucking scandal, especially given the recent history with us and this referee.

This. I was waiting for some hack or pundit to ask what the fuck was going on here. Instead they all seemed to think it was about as remarkable as a strong deflection that took the ball into the net. Strange, but these things happen, eh? No, these things don't happen! Refs don't consult with attackers before blowing the whistle and do so at a time most likely to assist them. I'm sure Dermot Gallagher would have been on this morning saying that the rule book doesn't specify any time limit before blowing the whistle so 'by the laws of the game' he is quite entitled to blow it when he likes. But you can be damn sure referees have guidelines for his kind of thing so can we please know what the guidelines are? No one seems interested though, which is interesting in itself.

15 minutes ago, Remmie said:

There was a stat on motd that we've only won one league game by more than a goal and that was against man city

I guess they slept through Arsenal,3-1 and Norwich 4-1. Muppets. Burnely 3-0. And whilst we're not keeping clean sheets, it should also be pointed out that no-one has scored more than once against us in the league.

Atkinson. Nobody has had such a blatant agenda agaionst us since Webb, yet no-one in the media notices it?! 

Atkinson on VAR for Wednesday as well. Not only is he not being kept away from our games like he should be, but he seems to be involved in virtually every one of them in some way. We'd better hope VAR isn't needed for any marginal offside decisions on Wednesday, and we might as well forget about getting a penalty, as even if the on pitch ref gives it, Atkinson will find a reason to overturn it.

Bang on the money again Dave , Atkinson seems to be on a crusade to stop the club picking up points in my opinion can we ask the Authorities that we don't want this bent twat anywhere near our games ?  or was that privilege just reserved for Whiskey nose and the Mancs 

2 minutes ago, Tj hooker said:

Bang on the money again Dave , Atkinson seems to be on a crusade to stop the club picking up points in my opinion can we ask the Authorities that we don't want this bent twat anywhere near our games ?  or was that privilege just reserved for Whiskey nose and the Mancs 

He seems to be involved in a huge amount of our games.  I need to check his % of games for us this season. Either through directly reffing is or VAR. 

i said to my mate after the villa debacle, ‘he will be kept away from us for a while’. But no, here is he still influencing things against us.  There is definitely an agenda with him. 

• Upvote 1

From what I read of all the on line match reports, only Chris Bascombe in the torygraph made any reference to atkinson assisting Brighton with their free kick goal.

As far as complaining to anyone about refs, mike riley head of PGMOL will just make a big fuck off issue in the papers about Liverpool complaining of bias, will tell us through the papers to fuck off and make sure all his refs get the memo to give us fuck all.

Look at the stick atkinson got over Bobby's armpit, you even had Chris Kamara calling him out. And then he screws us with that Brighton free kick. Anyone think he'd have let us get away with that one? No, me neither, clear agenda there then.

20 hours ago, dave u said:

There's no chance anyone at the club will complain about Atkinson. I mean come on, we had a South Yorkshire copper reffing our games and continually shafting us and the only one who spoke up about it was Ryan Babel!!

Cheers for the report Dave. I was getting over that free kick and now I'm fuming again. 

This is what I don't get. 

Why won't the club do anything about it?

What are we afraid of? All speculation on my part, but I hope the club isn't trying to practice some over the top version of being dignified and restrained. That shit gets you taken advantage of and getting walked all over.  We've experienced that since the whole badly managed Suarez-Evra stitch up.

15 hours ago, dockers_strike said:

From what I read of all the on line match reports, only Chris Bascombe in the torygraph made any reference to atkinson assisting Brighton with their free kick goal.

As far as complaining to anyone about refs, mike riley head of PGMOL will just make a big fuck off issue in the papers about Liverpool complaining of bias, will tell us through the papers to fuck off and make sure all his refs get the memo to give us fuck all.

Look at the stick atkinson got over Bobby's armpit, you even had Chris Kamara calling him out. And then he screws us with that Brighton free kick. Anyone think he'd have let us get away with that one? No, me neither, clear agenda there then.

This bias or what I percieve as (obvious) bias boils my blood.  We should and must as a club stand up to this. Or is the club thinking to leave well enough alone.  

This idea of keeping quiet and not upsetting the PGMOL or the Premier League doesn't sit well with me. I don't like cowering. This team doesn't cower,  nor should the club. Dave mentioned something similar in the Napoli match report about the club should stand up and say No to Napoli supporters visiting. I know it's not that simple and it's a different issue,  but to me it's about the club backing the supporters and the club.  This team doesn't cower,  nor should the club.

• dave u unpinned this topic