You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (Nov 23-29 2019)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Saturday Nov 23:

Palace 1 L 2 Another week another arse twitching win. Feels like almost all of our games this season have finished 2-1 and loads of them have seen us win it late. We can’t do that indefinitely but it won’t matter if we’ve built up a big enough lead. We’ve already won loads of games that we could easily not have and it feels like we haven’t really played well for a lot of the season. That's probably not true but it feels like that because so many of our games have ended up on  knife edge.

Our record is incredible but the performances have not always been. There are two ways to look at that. Maybe we’re pacing ourselves and will come on stronger in the second half of the season (we usually do) or maybe this is who we are now. Maybe we aren’t that wildly exciting crazy team that would win 4-0 or 5-1 virtually every week but then lose a stupid one completely out of the blue to undermine it all.

Maybe now we’re just a winning machine, grinding out three points week after week without ever really crushing anybody like we used to but also never dropping stupid points. The front three are definitely not the unstoppable force they were two years ago and that’s the main difference I think. Sadio is better than he was two years ago but Bobby and Mo aren’t producing the same numbers and that’s the main reason we’re winning 2-1 every week instead of hitting four or five.

Recently I’ve been thinking about this quite a bit. Are they not playing as well or have teams just figured out ways to restrict us? I wouldn’t say we’ve been 'found out', because we’re European Champions and have only lost one league game in 18 months!! Something has changed though. Those devastating length of the field counter attacks we were seeing all the time have all but disappeared. I can only assume it’s because teams are much more careful against us now because the fear factor is there.

We’ve had to adapt because we get less space and as a result of that we’re less of a counter attacking side and more of a patient build up one. It’s working for us and the points speak for themselves, it’s just not as thrilling to watch and it's a lot more stressful when games are in the balance right up until the final whistle. Still, if it brings us the title though then I’ll take a 2-1 win every week thanks. 

Sunday Nov 24:

Eden Hazard says a Liverpool player should win the Balon d’Or and his choice would be Sadio. He’s defo getting more and more traction now and it wouldn’t be undeserved if he won, but the problem is that he’s taking votes of Virg and that will no doubt open the door for Messi. Let’s not kid ourselves, he’ll win it again because he’s "the world’s best player".

By that rationale though, he should have won it pretty much every year that he’s played. The reason he hasn’t is because it has often been determined that someone else (usually Ronaldo) - while being an inferior talent - has had a better year than him. Just like Virgil in 2019. Messi will win it though. I doubt Virg gives much of a fuck about it anyway. The fans will be more upset about it than him.

Meanwhile, Naby Keita is one of the nominees for African Player of the Year. Who the fuck is voting for this? If it’s the public then that can be explained away by the lack of TVs in many African households, but if it’s the players and / or coaches then what the fuck?? He’s barely played for club or country and when he did he usually got injured. 

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that the Week that Was is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

Starting to think it’s Klopp Guardiola is unhealthily obsessed with, not the club.

Imagine being up against this guy who’s an all charisma, working class hero type and who goes to clubs that are at that point relatively unfashionable choices in comparison to what that little entitled princess does; pick the richest, most ruthlessly pre-programmed for success side in each country at that time, more or less. 

The other guy is universally popular for his personality, sense of humour, down-to-earth attitude etc, but at least you’re known as the obsessive pure genius in your field. The best clubs hire you because you are the best, and this is borne out by your results. Except against this guy. The one who’s mostly characterised as a cheerleader but has a better head-to-head record against you and gets the best of you tactically more than is the case the other way round. With a side constructed at a fraction of the outlay.

That face on him when Klopp walked into his press conference on tour and he got up and fucked off is the thing that started making me think it. Like Tuchel, I reckon he’s just intimidated and it’s the proper little man in him coming out. I bet he’s like Richard Hammond around Clarkson whenever he’s in Klopp’s company. 

• Upvote 7

• dave u unpinned this topic
On 01/12/2019 at 17:50, Daisy said:

Was a big mistake not buying a forward in the summer. Salah knows he can be dreadful and still play every game 

Worked out fine last night - Salah didn't even get off the bench.  He'll probably have a great game at Bournemouth.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, StevieMax said:

Worked out fine last night - Salah didn't even get off the bench.  He'll probably have a great game at Bournemouth.

Yeah it was brilliant having players who didn't give the ball away every other pass.

I'd start Origi and Shaq ahead of him at the moment.

• Like 1