You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Keita: I am fit again and would love to be involved 

TLW

Naby Keita has declared he is fully fit and would love to be able to fill the void left by Fabinho in the Liverpool starting lineup.

The Guinea international who came to the Premier League with big wraps from his time at RB Leipzig, has had a frustrating time of things in his Reds career to date.

It seems for every couple of encouraging performances the 24 year old has produced, he then has spent the next month on the sidelines with a injury.

And then when he returns to the park, it takes him a good while to get his game up to speed meaning all positive momentum has been lost.

Keita who was a unused substitute in Liverpool's 2-1 victory against Brighton on Saturday is well aware of those inconsistencies and after playing a grand total of 14 minutes in the Premier League this season, is very keen to make up for lost time.

The Echo reported Keita as saying:

“ I would love to be involved.

“My injury put me back a bit but now I feel as though I am back. 

“I've been quite pleased with my form but I'd like to do better.

“I feel that, if I get to play in a lot of matches, I can really try to help the team. 

“I try to play every training sessions as if it were a match and I always try to raise my game.

Keita also spoke about the heartbreak he felt when he missed the Champions League triumph against Tottenham after suffering a hip injury in the semi final first leg against Barcelona.

"It was quite hard for me. 

“All players dream of playing in a big final like that and it would have been great for me.

Despite missing a fair bit of football over the past season and a bit, Keita is something of a lucky charm for Liverpool.

In the 27 Premier League appearances he has made for the club, he is yet to be on the losing side.

Naby-Keita-986972.jpg

“ Well, a record like that can only serve to motivate me more.

“We're all here to work for exactly those sort of records and then to surpass them. Hopefully by winning every match those records will come naturally.

But the main focus on Keita’s mind is helping the club go one step further to claim the league title.

“We don't want to repeat the error - if you can call it an error after getting 97 points of falling into second place at the last hurdle at the end of the season.

“We want to push for new records right until the end of the season. 

"We want to beat our record and It's in the club's thinking to do so."

View full article

Naby love, nobody gives a flying fuck about your mindset or your fitness. Nobody will care if you have a face like a slapped arse and get subbed after 60 minutes coz you're knackered, as long as you bring skill, composure and tenacity. Inspire, compete, complete useful passes and if you're not setting up others to score, knock in some yourself. 

Don't try to raise your game. 

• Upvote 3

I don't actually mind that this interview is out there, whether he volunteered more info than a player usually would, or someone at the club (Klopp?) encouraged him to open up a bit about his situation. 

Either way, these comments definitely increase the pressure on him to start performing, which suggests the level of expectation on this guy has reached a 'put up or shut up' stage. 

That said, I don't think it'd have been done if there wasn't genuine belief that he could rise to the challenge. 

21 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

We could really, really do with him being the top notch player he was in Germany. 

I know mate, what a player that is. He has had injury disruptions and a tough settling in period but he needs to be at his mate like now.

Despite what people say he is not weak or lacking heart. That said I don’t know what is going on, we have seen flashes but not enough. Come on Naby.

21 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

I know mate, what a player that is. He has had injury disruptions and a tough settling in period but he needs to be at his mate like now.

Despite what people say he is not weak or lacking heart. That said I don’t know what is going on, we have seen flashes but not enough. Come on Naby.

For me, he was as much of a sure thing as you’re likely to get. We need to make sure we use him in the right way, and he needs to make sure he ups his game. 

20 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

For me, he was as much of a sure thing as you’re likely to get. We need to make sure we use him in the right way, and he needs to make sure he ups his game. 

This mate. He was running games for fun in Germany, I know before anyone says that he hasn’t here yet. He is more than capable and needs to show it ASAP.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

This mate. He was running games for fun in Germany, I know before anyone says that he hasn’t here yet. He is more than capable and needs to show it ASAP.

I’d have bet the house that it’s have been Keita not Fabinho that was the more important player. Need him to step up. Actually, Mo and Firmino both need a great second half of the season too. We’ve got a hell of a chance. 

• Upvote 1

He's not getting in the side ahead of Chambo after his performance yesterday nor Gini and Hendo.

It's a catch 22 situation for Naby, he needs to be given a run to show what he can do but his injuries and form todate, dont give Jurgen the trust to play him right now. Shaqiri's in the same position.

The best the pair of them can hope for is a sub appearance or two this side of New Year and a run out in the World Champs.

All the players looked drained again yesterday which is not surprising considering the effort they had to put in against Villa, Palace, city and Napoli. I dont think its a surprise that all the PL teams yesterday who played in the CL looked jaded in their games against teams who didnt play midweek. Even spurs nearly threw away a 3-0 lead.

1 hour ago, Grinch said:

He needs to start getting on the pitch first.   It's absolutely baffling seeing Lallana ahead of him. 

I trust Klopp on that one and if he trusts Lallana more than Keita atm then there’s obviously something not right with the fella

2 hours ago, moof said:

Klopp absolutely loves Lallana. Have you lads been asleep for the past 3 years?

There will be plenty of game time for everyone, Keita will show his worth

In your world Borini and Allen are still top class players. 

Anyone that falls behind Lallana in the pecking order is clearly showing less than fuck all.