You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton (H) Premier League - 4/12/19 - 20:15

Bjornebye

• Replies 947
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

35 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think they'll employ the same 5 at the back tactic they tried today against Leicester. It's been useful against us recently with United implementing it pretty well and I don't think it's a coincidence they "trialed" that formation before the game against us, against a team that similarly gets a lot of their attacking done through their full backs. 

It will be a shit game. Even though they never win, they usually for the most part make it hard for us to score and this will make them stouter. We'll have to be really good to win, I think. We've been getting sucker punched too often recently and that will be what they will try to do. 

If they sack Silva in the morning and Ferguson takes charge expect 9 up-front. 

On 30/11/2019 at 20:33, Jordy Brouwer said:

I think I understand your argument.

You are saying that a football game is the equivalent of a "natural monopoly" where competition is irrelevant because people have to use the service. A classic example of a natural monopoly is a bridge - you don't need competing bridges you just need ONE good bridge across a river and competition does not provide any benefit. There is ONE river so what is the point of multiple competing bridges? None. 

I'm not sure how true that is when it comes to broadcasting a football match. The match itself is a kind of natural monopoly - there is one match. However the broadcasting of that match CAN be subject to competition and possibly in a way that will reduce prices. 

In any case the proof is in the pudding. Lets see what its like. Or at least I will. 

I wouldn't call football broadcasting a natural monopoly, nor the market for bridges. A natural monopoly is one in which the fixed costs are so high it is better to have one regulated supplier of the service/good. Competition does provide benefit in both football broadcasting and bridge construction - it lowers costs and increases quality. The issue is we don't have true competition in football. We have artificial competition "for the market" rather than "in the market".

1 hour ago, Naz17 said:

I wouldn't call football broadcasting a natural monopoly, nor the market for bridges. A natural monopoly is one in which the fixed costs are so high it is better to have one regulated supplier of the service/good. Competition does provide benefit in both football broadcasting and bridge construction - it lowers costs and increases quality. The issue is we don't have true competition in football. We have artificial competition "for the market" rather than "in the market".

I didn't say football broadcasting was a natural monopoly I said it wasn't. 

Bridges are indeed often natural monoplies due to high capital costs and marginal (if any) benefits of competition. Nobody drives over a bridge thinking "nah this is shit" the other one was better. Bridges are often citied as examples of natural monopolies although like with most things there are contexts where it might not apply. 

13 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think they'll employ the same 5 at the back tactic they tried today against Leicester. It's been useful against us recently with United implementing it pretty well and I don't think it's a coincidence they "trialed" that formation before the game against us, against a team that similarly gets a lot of their attacking done through their full backs. 

It will be a shit game. Even though they never win, they usually for the most part make it hard for us to score and this will make them stouter. We'll have to be really good to win, I think. We've been getting sucker punched too often recently and that will be what they will try to do. 

Would have thought Ljinders will be able to get around that.

On 01/12/2019 at 11:46, Thoth said:

The wife uses prime for the music on Alexa and the kindle books so I should get the game then? Or is there an additional charge for live sports?

Alexa....can we please give these cunts the absolute twatting they richly deserve?

It'll be close, 1 goal win at best but my money is on a 1-1 draw. I've lost count of the number of thrashings this lot have supposedly been due over the years according to posters on here. Will never happen, they could be playing their under 7's paraplegic team and they'd still make it difficult for us.

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke
1 minute ago, Herp McDerp said:

It'll be close, 1 goal win at best but my money is on a 1-1 draw. I've lost count of the number of thrashings this lot have supposedly been due over the years according to posters on here. Will never happen, they could be playing their under 7's paraplegic team and they'd still make it difficult for us.

Nothing is set in stone, plus since 2016 we have beaten them 3-1 and 4-0 at home, hardly close. 

1 hour ago, Jordy Brouwer said:

I didn't say football broadcasting was a natural monopoly I said it wasn't. 

Bridges are indeed often natural monoplies due to high capital costs and marginal (if any) benefits of competition. Nobody drives over a bridge thinking "nah this is shit" the other one was better. Bridges are often citied as examples of natural monopolies although like with most things there are contexts where it might not apply. 

Our difference in opinion probably lies in the context. I was thinking of bridges on a national scale rather than local.

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Apparently Amazon are worried about their servers crashing under the weight of traffic. Might be wise to have a foreign stream ready to report to the authorities. 

Daft cunts. You don't buy a grand piano and try to take it home on a push bike.

• Upvote 2