You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barnes: Belief the main reason behind success of Liverpool

TLW

Liverpool legend John Barnes says that the mindset and togetherness is the key reason behind the Reds current success.

The European Champions are on a mission to go one step further this season in their quest to win the Premier League title.

While the quality of players that  Jurgen Klopp has in his squad is indisputable, Barnes says you need more than that if you are to be successful in this game.

The Mirror (via The Offside Rules Exclusives podcast) reported Barnes as saying:

“Liverpool haven’t got better players than Manchester United or Arsenal or Tottenham.

“What they have is more harmony, more belief, togetherness, and belief in the manager.

Barnes also said it is a great time to be a supporter of the club and that every person associated with the club have played a part in the current feel good environment.

61617127-jurgen-klopp.jpg

“It's an exciting time because we have now given Jurgen support. We trust him and we always have.

“When you have that harmony and togetherness, the fans, the Liverpool family or football family, generally speaking, you can succeed.

"Of course, I'll be happy to win the league on 90 points this year, but I won't say that this is a better season than last season, if we lose three games and win the league on 90 points."

View full article

12 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

I love Johnny Barnes but “Liverpool haven’t got better players than Manchester United or Arsenal or Tottenham. Really

I dont fully agree with him, but I reckon it’d closer than most people think.

The difference is the attitude and togetherness, that we have brought in players that suit the way we play, that we are probably among the front runners when it comes to fitness and nutrition, and last but not least of course there is Klopps ability to both motivate and to keep the players relaxed at the same time.

We’re a great unit, and it both improves players and makes hem look better than they actually are.

It's hard to separate individual players levels from their performance in a team. If you asked people to rate the United squad about 13 games into Oles run, the results would be significantly different than now.

SoI see his point, a little bit, although I think he's only half right. I don't think our players are so much better that it explains the gap in the table, that's for sure.

Give Klopp a year with that United squad and they'd be unrecognisable.