You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oculus Quest

Just decided to spend a while on VR tonight and first time loaded up Blaston. I picked it up really cheap, cheaper than it's retail of £7.99. It's a great little arena shooter, where you go online and play against other online players. Quite social too.

Worth looking out for either on sale or it certainly justifies it's low RRP.

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Mobile25 currently gives you 25% off one purchase on the Oculus mobile app. 

Balls, I looked for a code yesterday. I'll have to see what else is on the store.

Tried using the code on the Oculus store and it doesn't work. Not sure what's going on there.

Edit:Sorry you've clearly said mobile app, I tried the website.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think I'll swerve it then.

It's a bit shite but I hardly use Facebook anyway. Can't remember the last time I actually posted a status update. My adverts on there are almost exclusively harem pants at the moment as I always give them a like when they appear. 

Sure_Design_14_416_of_636_grande.jpg?v=1

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Yes. About 10 games or so, all of them good. 24 hour flash sale ending 10am UK today. 

Nice, just picked up a couple of bits at a reduced price. 

13 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is it true you've got to have a Facebook account to use the occulus quest 2.

I don't notice it, to be honest. I have a Facebook account from years ago that is linked and it works out fine. More is made of this than should be. No different to needing a Google account for android or an apple account for ipads and macs. 

New Quest 2 update has added Air Link which is basically an official Virtual Desktop for free and means you can use the Quest 2 for PCVR wirelessly. It's still beta and you have to enable it in both the windows app and the headset itself but it seems to work well, better than Virtual Desktop for Oculus Rift apps for a start. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Seriously looking into getting one of these. 

For somebody who knows absolutely nothing about computing and somehow linking this to my laptop is this worth purchasing ?

Currently on a buy one and get a £50 voucher to spend by mid January deal on Amazon. So theoretically available for £250 

3 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Seriously looking into getting one of these. 

For somebody who knows absolutely nothing about computing and somehow linking this to my laptop is this worth purchasing ?

Currently on a buy one and get a £50 voucher to spend by mid January deal on Amazon. So theoretically available for £250 

You'd have to have a pretty beefy laptop to make that work. You don't have to link it to a computer to use it, there are plenty of games on the Oculus Store to keep you busy for a long time. I recently picked up Resident Evil 4 on the Oculus and I'm trying to convince myself to play it but I'm quite scared about being totally freaked out by it. It looks immense though and is one of the only games I've ever completed. Considering it was supposed to be a Gamecube exclusive it seemed to do pretty well for itself.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend one. It's worth having a computer capable of connecting to it but it's far from essential.

3 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Cheers, so the connection to computer would be purely for purchases, etc ? 

As I said I know nothing about this but always thought you needed a pc/laptop to connect them too. 

Not even for purchases. Games purchased on the oculus store are installed directly onto the headset (it's preferable to have higher storage space, the largest used to be 256gb). These games then run directly on the headset.

You can also buy pc games that can be run on the headset (for example, Half Life Alyx). These games run on the PC and are transferred to the headset as they're running. The pc is doing all the heavy work, so requires the graphics card, cpu, memory and storage to make this possible. There is an app on steam that will test your pc for vr readiness. 

This is an either/or situation rather than one of enforcement. 

5 hours ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Cheers, so the connection to computer would be purely for purchases, etc ? 

As I said I know nothing about this but always thought you needed a pc/laptop to connect them too. 

The PC connection is an optional extra if you want to run VR games from the likes of Steam. It works really well wireless these days but you need a decent graphics card and router. If you do then you can get some fantastic games running for often cheap prices. The standalone Quest 2 experience is good though. 

• Upvote 1