You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oculus Quest

Bought myself the Quest 2 today to celebrate paying Christmas off. Probably a stupid move but fuck it, could be dead tomorrow.

Having some wine and exploring the quest tonight, can't wait.

I'll be all disoriented in the drunk thread later, and full of regret in the hangover thread tomorrow.

One thing I will say is from my initial tinkering the battery life seems complete cack. Maybe its like when you get a new phone and the first couple of hours you're just downloading and installing stuff. I dunno.

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Is there anywhere like cdkeys that does discounted games for the oculus. I see people talking about steam above but I'm assuming that's for oculus headsets hooked up to PC's?

That's a really good question, unfortunately I don't think there is a way of getting Oculus Apps cheaper than the store. Sometimes they run sales and offer discounts through vouchers. But www.sidequest.com might be an avenue to explore as titles appear there before they get released to the Oculus App store. 

Also @cloggypop mentioned www.itch.io as a sales site but again I don't think these are titles on the Oculus App store, more likely side quest titles. 

1 hour ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

Bought myself the Quest 2 today to celebrate paying Christmas off. Probably a stupid move but fuck it, could be dead tomorrow.

Having some wine and exploring the quest tonight, can't wait.

I'll be all disoriented in the drunk thread later, and full of regret in the hangover thread tomorrow.

One thing I will say is from my initial tinkering the battery life seems complete cack. Maybe its like when you get a new phone and the first couple of hours you're just downloading and installing stuff. I dunno.

The battery only lasts a couple of hours. Avatar is too long as I found out watching it in 3D. Seems cheap enough to add a power bank to get you to 6+ hours but I haven't  yet. If you are using a USB lead it lasts longer as well.

Native games are expensive compared to Steam. Sales seem rare and discounts are nowhere near as good. Having said that, there are currently discounts for Moss, Tetris and Superhot. All of them are great but are usually cheaper on Steam on sale if you are going to be using a PC as well. 

There's loads of free stuff on SideQuest. You do need a PC to set it up but not to use the games so it doesn't need to be a gaming PC.

If you are going to use PC as well here's a cheap bundle on Fanatical.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-ultimate-v-r-bundle

1 minute ago, i5x said:

For use with PC this cable from amazon works well and £50 cheaper than official link cable. Has been well worth the cash as have been able to make use of the 3090 I bought a little while ago with the Q2.

Yes, I think the blurb talks about the battery lasting longer if you use the original/official cable to charge it but it doesn't last that long anyway. 

I'm still trying to work out how to get virtual desktop working as I bought it on Steam/pc so the quest can't see it as an installed app. I'd guess I need to use side quest to install it on the quest from the PC side, otherwise buying it again on the Oculus App store which seems overkill to buy it twice. 

17 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

You need to buy it on Quest. The Steam one won't work unfortunately. You don't need to do the Sidequest thing since the last update as that's now included but it does have to be the version on Quest and then the free streamer on PC. 

See if Steam will give you a refund. 

https://www.vrdesktop.net/

I hoped that wouldn't be the case, it's weird you can buy it on Steam when it doesn't seem to have a function on PC unless I'm missing something. I'll try and get a refund on it as it seems superfluous. 

Either way I'll definitely pick it up on the quest as it will definitely be handy. 

On the fanatical list, I managed to pick six and it's included a couple of extra mystery steam keys for £1.75 extra. Good deal, that. 

I've just ordered the psvr, I know its nowhere near the level of the oculus, hive and all that jive its just ive got a load of games on my ps4/5 that you can play through VR such as Gran Turismo, Star wars squadrons, Skyrim and a few others. So it seems like a good gateway to see if I like it. Only problem is the motion controllers are sold out everywhere other than for extortionate prices I'm not prepared to pay.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I've just ordered the psvr, I know its nowhere near the level of the oculus, hive and all that jive its just ive got a load of games on my ps4/5 that you can play through VR such as Gran Turismo, Star wars squadrons, Skyrim and a few others. So it seems like a good gateway to see if I like it. Only problem is the motion controllers are sold out everywhere other than for extortionate prices I'm not prepared to pay.

I have a PSVR as well as the Quest 2. Still had Move controllers from the PS3 which work fine. The newer ones do seem to be a right fucker to get so good luck with that. There was a bundle with two of them and Iron Man recently which wasn't too badly priced. 

Some of the best PSVR games are just on the dual shock anyway like Astrobot, Wipeout and Resident Evil 7. 

The Aim controller could be an option if you can't find Move controllers. Farpoint is on PS plus this month and Firewall has been given away before so you might already have it. There's not that many games using it but it's good. 

PS Prices is a great site to check sales. Way better than the official PS site for PSVR and you can sign up there and they’ll send you an email when the game you want is on sale. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Motion sickness gets me on this VR.

Good way of getting used to it is on the free Roller-coaster app on the Oculus App store. It suggests how to counter it. 

2 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Good way of getting used to it is on the free Roller-coaster app on the Oculus App store. It suggests how to counter it. 

I'm on the psvr. Had a 5 minute go of gran tourismo and felt like spewing. Then a brief go of skyrim which is surreal and brilliant but made me want to puke.

11 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I'm on the psvr. Had a 5 minute go of gran tourismo and felt like spewing. Then a brief go of skyrim which is surreal and brilliant but made me want to puke.

Skyrim is supposed to be a bad one for setting people off so maybe try something different for a bit first until your brain and stomach get used to it. If you got Astrobot with it give that a go as that shouldn't be any trouble plus it's boss. 

I'll give astrobot a go tomorrow.

Skyrim was mad. I remember playing it first time round and a few times since, to actually feel like youre inside the game, the same height as the other characters and a giant dragon flying down breathing fire, it was nuts. A ready player future is definitely a real possibility if society lingers on. If I can acclimatise to the VR just so I can plough through skyrim it will be money we'll spent. 

On 01/03/2021 at 09:41, Bobby Hundreds said:

Ace Combat 7 is the bollocks on VR. It's just a shame there's only three "games" on it for VR.

Had a go at moss, it's kind of magical. Imagine the storytelling that could be told in a similar format to that game. I can imagine a Lord of the rings version where you watch the story unfold from that position, see the characters traveling from the shire to mordor and all their interactions in between. There is so much scope even before the technology ends up super realistic way down the line.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Had a go at moss, it's kind of magical. Imagine the storytelling that could be told in a similar format to that game. I can imagine a Lord of the rings version where you watch the story unfold from that position, see the characters traveling from the shire to mordor and all their interactions in between. There is so much scope even before the technology ends up super realistic way down the line.

What is moss? 

I loaded up The Thrill of The Fight on Quest 2. Just brilliant, felt like a real boxing fight minus the bruises. Great workout and easy to set up and use for a quick bout. 3 x 2 minute rounds by default were exhausting so will be good to increase the number of rounds to build up stamina.