You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Oculus Quest

In all honesty I would wait personally. There is little use for it at the moment but IF the new Half Life title makes it a must buy, I suspect the prices will drop in the future and more titles will make use of it.

Let me tell you where I am - I'm out.

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Do you need a high end PC for one of these fucking bastards.

It can operate 100% independently. I think the Oculus Rift can operate on a PC, I believe the minimum PC spec is Intel i5 (and equivalent) and I believe Radeon 970 (and equivalent). I don't think it needs to be a monster PC at all.

I'm still trying to work out how to control the software - the controller for Quest 2 doesn't seem to work on Doom VFR. I have some other titles that I'm going to test out on Steam. Very impressive on the eyes.

On 21/12/2020 at 17:17, Bobby Hundreds said:

Do you need a high end PC for one of these fucking bastards.

Been using VR since Oculus Kickstarter and Rift dk1 about 6 years or more ago. Your best bet of you want quick and easy is an Oculus Quest 2 for about £300 or so, no pc required. Just whack it on your head and away you go, it can even be connected to a pc if you decide to go down that route later.

It is the Rift S that requires a PC, or Valve Index (we have this one currently and a monster pc for it). There are other headsets out there for PC like Pi Max but they are main ones. Was discussing hardware last night and they have to aim at mid range / lower tier to actually be able to mass market and sell these things.

Tbh anyone asks about VR we tell them Quest 2, then that way if you don't like it, or get motion sickness you can return it for minimal outlay and if you love it you can build around it if you decide to.

Edit: would recommend Elite headstrap to go with it as it is uncomfortable without it for £50.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, i5x said:

Been using VR since Oculus Kickstarter and Rift dk1 about 6 years or more ago. Your best bet of you want quick and easy is an Oculus Quest 2 for about £300 or so, no pc required. Just whack it on your head and away you go, it can even be connected to a pc if you decide to go down that route later.

It is the Rift S that requires a PC, or Valve Index (we have this one currently and a monster pc for it). There are other headsets out there for PC like Pi Max but they are main ones. Was discussing hardware last night and they have to aim at mid range / lower tier to actually be able to mass market and sell these things.

Tbh anyone asks about VR we tell them Quest 2, then that way if you don't like it, or get motion sickness you can return it for minimal outlay and if you love it you can build around it if you decide to.

Edit: would recommend Elite headstrap to go with it as it is uncomfortable without it for £50.

The Elite headstrap is proving very hard to get hold of at the moment so I've ordered an alternative for £24. Seems decent enough and certainly better than the crap one they send a s a default.

Perhaps Elite headstrap will be easier to get in the future, then get it. Still trying to get it working with Steam as the controllers don't seem to be compatible with some of the games. Perhaps there's something I'm missing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in. Virtual Desktop working well for me. Normal headstrap comfy enough. Could do with an extra battery though. 

I can recommend the Dr Beef ports of classic games. Doom 3 out today, just had an hour on it and it's very good. You need original game files to make it work but it's really cheap (like one and a half euro) on sale. He's also ported Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Return To Castle Wolfenstein and Half Life. All run standalone in VR on the headset and the earlier games have improved graphics and sound if you want them. 

Doom 3 Quest here

https://www.doom3quest.com/

On 10/01/2021 at 20:28, cloggypop said:

I'm in. Virtual Desktop working well for me. Normal headstrap comfy enough. Could do with an extra battery though. 

I can recommend the Dr Beef ports of classic games. Doom 3 out today, just had an hour on it and it's very good. You need original game files to make it work but it's really cheap (like one and a half euro) on sale. He's also ported Doom, Quake, Quake 2, Return To Castle Wolfenstein and Half Life. All run standalone in VR on the headset and the earlier games have improved graphics and sound if you want them. 

Doom 3 Quest here

https://www.doom3quest.com/

I'm still trying it out and moving forward pretty well with it. The two games I've played are Walking Dead: Saints and Sinners and tonight Half Life:Alyx. Half Life is just incredible. Proper intense and pretty jumpy in just the intro sections. Lots of fun. I'm installing some of Steam backlog and there are games appearing on SteamVR that I didn't know were VR capable - Project Cars 2 seems to be available to load in VR.

I saw Doom 3 could be loaded up, impressed to see that. I think you have to copy files into a different directory to get it to work, nothing major at all. I didn't realise you could play Doom 3 natively on the Quest 2 though. That's impressive.

I also have Doom VFR which seems to be a VR version of 2016 Doom. First time I loaded it I all kinds of problems getting it working but maybe now I've sorted it out it may work next time.

Also have Sabre Beat, some boxing game, a rhthym game of some kind and I think I got a deal on some Star Wars ones too. This things going to be keeping me busy!

I suffer really bad VR sickness, similar feeling to travel sickness bit 10x worse. It is not a problem if it is something like a racing game or something steated, it is when you have to get up and walk about, I just have never been able to go more than 5 mins at a time. 

The new pc I build for SO, which is a bit if a monster rig, and the Index I was actually able to play HL: Alex for well over 30 mins due to higher fps. I should be able to crank the fps up to 90hz or so and get even more time in there. I think I could have managed even longer but had to cut it sort as game was due to begin. 

Btw if you like physics in games and building bazaar cotraptions Boneworks is decent. Idea of some of the stupid things that can be done:

Ultimate Fishing Simulator VR is currently reduced on Steam from £23.79 to £9.51. It's brilliant, so well done. I decided to go for the Ultimate Gold Edition, reduced from £61.01 to £21.07. It's not essential but if you can imagine losing hours to virtual fishing then get on this.

I've never been fishing in my life but it's a very compelling simulator and shows you the ropes quite nicely. Already caught 3 fish in the first 30 minutes of playing. Doesn't sound a lot but each cast has taken about ten throws to get decent distance, then you have to notice the bite. Then reel it in without over tensing the line. More get away then are caught but it's more rewarding when you get the catch.

On 12/01/2021 at 11:19, i5x said:

I suffer really bad VR sickness, similar feeling to travel sickness bit 10x worse. It is not a problem if it is something like a racing game or something steated, it is when you have to get up and walk about, I just have never been able to go more than 5 mins at a time. 

The new pc I build for SO, which is a bit if a monster rig, and the Index I was actually able to play HL: Alex for well over 30 mins due to higher fps. I should be able to crank the fps up to 90hz or so and get even more time in there. I think I could have managed even longer but had to cut it sort as game was due to begin. 

Btw if you like physics in games and building bazaar cotraptions Boneworks is decent. Idea of some of the stupid things that can be done:

I'm happy to stand in the games I play on it and happy also to move side to side a little. But actually moving around isn't something I'm looking to do. I normally try and work out if the game features controller movement or physical movement and try not buying anything that requires physical movement.

Closest to physical movement I have is Beat Sabre which is a rhythm impact game and it's really only moving the arms from what I can tell so far.

When I bring up the Steam interface, it shows me all the titles I have that are VR compatible. I've noticed a Tomb Raider game is on the list. Definitely curious to know which one that is...

It's only a short non action chapter in Rise Of The Tomb Raider. 

There's loads of Steam games working in VR though. Loads of stuff I got in cheap bundles like Payday 2, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally 1 and 2, Project Cars 2, GRIP. No Man's Sky is much better in VR. 

Epic games also work in VR. They have given away Subnautica, the Long Dark and Elite Dangerous. 

You can get loads of games dirt cheap on sale or from keyshops. Skyrim VR for 10 euro, Fallout 4 VR for 6 euro, Battlezone for about 2 euro. 

The Oculus store itself is quite expensive though. 

If you haven't claimed Asgard's Wrath yet then do that. It's a twat to download (needs way more disk space to download than it should and turn your anti virus off) but it's a massive game for free that usually costs 40 euro. 

4 hours ago, cloggypop said:

It's only a short non action chapter in Rise Of The Tomb Raider. 

There's loads of Steam games working in VR though. Loads of stuff I got in cheap bundles like Payday 2, Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally 1 and 2, Project Cars 2, GRIP. No Man's Sky is much better in VR. 

Epic games also work in VR. They have given away Subnautica, the Long Dark and Elite Dangerous. 

You can get loads of games dirt cheap on sale or from keyshops. Skyrim VR for 10 euro, Fallout 4 VR for 6 euro, Battlezone for about 2 euro. 

The Oculus store itself is quite expensive though. 

If you haven't claimed Asgard's Wrath yet then do that. It's a twat to download (needs way more disk space to download than it should and turn your anti virus off) but it's a massive game for free that usually costs 40 euro. 

I have quite a few of those on Humble bundle deals but not skyrim vr. It's £12.99 on cdkeys so that could be worth a pickup. 

Asgards Wrath looks a good deal if it can be picked up free but 165gb? That's more than half the storage. 

16 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I have quite a few of those on Humble bundle deals but not skyrim vr. It's £12.99 on cdkeys so that could be worth a pickup. 

Asgards Wrath looks a good deal if it can be picked up free but 165gb? That's more than half the storage. 

Asgard's Wrath is a Rift game so you'd be playing it via PC either on Virtual Desktop or link. You have to set up link with an Oculus account to get it in your library. Don't need to buy the official cable, the short charging cable will work (too short to use as a link though). 

It needs about twice its size to install and was a right twat for me until I turned Microsoft Defender off for the installation. 

Full length epic game though. 27 hours for main story on HowLongToBeat. 

Virtual Desktop is fantastic if you have a 5G router to use with it. 

The headset is great for watching films on as well. Can use Virtual Desktop and just use VLC on your PC to play the films or stream films to the headset using Big Screen. Both will play 3D as well. Avatar looks boss on it but is too long for the battery hence the need for an extra power pack. 

I've stuck Kodi on the actual headset as well but prefer having the dark cinema around a massive screen in Virtual Desktop or Big Screen. 

40 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

Virtual Desktop is fantastic if you have a 5G router to use with it. 

The headset is great for watching films on as well. Can use Virtual Desktop and just use VLC on your PC to play the films or stream films to the headset using Big Screen. Both will play 3D as well. Avatar looks boss on it but is too long for the battery hence the need for an extra power pack. 

I've stuck Kodi on the actual headset as well but prefer having the dark cinema around a massive screen in Virtual Desktop or Big Screen. 

I don't think I have 5G but I have paid for virtual desktop. Not used it yet but will give it a try. 

Only concern with sideloading stuff I have is that Facebook own the quest and I have heard of accounts being shut down rendering the oculus bricked. Not sure what circumstances could lead to that. Watching movies though sounds boss. Is Big Screen an app on the Quest? 

29 minutes ago, Fluter in Dakota said:

I don't think I have 5G but I have paid for virtual desktop. Not used it yet but will give it a try. 

Only concern with sideloading stuff I have is that Facebook own the quest and I have heard of accounts being shut down rendering the oculus bricked. Not sure what circumstances could lead to that. Watching movies though sounds boss. Is Big Screen an app on the Quest? 

Big Screen is free on the Quest itself. If you have any downloaded films on PC you can use your PC as a server and open the films on Big Screen. Can change to 3D SBS or OU in the settings. A non 5G router should be fine for movies on that and Virtual Desktop but it's going to be too slow for most games. 

My router was about 10 years old anyway so I didn't mind spending 50 euro on a newer 5G one. That's still half the price of the official link cable even if it only got used for the Quest. Need to make sure it has gigabyte ethernet ports as well for a better connection to the PC. It doesn't matter about your Internet speed as it is just making a fast network between your PC, router and Quest. Steam games stream great to the wireless headset like this. 

On 15/01/2021 at 21:24, cloggypop said:

Big Screen is free on the Quest itself. If you have any downloaded films on PC you can use your PC as a server and open the films on Big Screen. Can change to 3D SBS or OU in the settings. A non 5G router should be fine for movies on that and Virtual Desktop but it's going to be too slow for most games. 

My router was about 10 years old anyway so I didn't mind spending 50 euro on a newer 5G one. That's still half the price of the official link cable even if it only got used for the Quest. Need to make sure it has gigabyte ethernet ports as well for a better connection to the PC. It doesn't matter about your Internet speed as it is just making a fast network between your PC, router and Quest. Steam games stream great to the wireless headset like this. 

Big screen looks great, have it installed and gone through the introduction. 

Tried dirt rally 2 on vr and had first experience of motion sickness as the car jumped over a hill. Not bad but felt head go light and felt like I was going to vomit when headset came off. That shows how realistic it feels. 

• 3 weeks later...
6 hours ago, cloggypop said:

Cheap bundle on itch.io. Can install now on sidequest or they should all be on AppLab soon (free keys when they are). 

https://itch.io/b/794/waiting-for-app-lab-vr-bundle

Just been looking into this bundle, the cricket looks interesting. You can attach the hand controller to a cricket bat and use the bat to play VR Cricket. What could possibly go wrong?