You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Fabinho could be sidelined for up to six weeks

TLW

8 minutes ago, Lizzie Birdsworths Wrinkled Chopper said:

Re elastic timeframes, don’t like that.

Most likely a slip off the tongue, hopefully, purely because Klopp is usually so cards close to his chests with what he gives away.

AFA715B6-FA7F-48C3-A7CF-3B91E5EF55FE.jpeg

I think I also immediately read 6-8 weeks as March.

18 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Lallana cannot tackle. He'd be a disaster in my opinion if we expect him to play there while Fab is out.

“Adam is the kind of player he can play that and he enjoys this 'Jorginho' role – I hope (former Chelsea boss) Maurizio Sarri doesn't see the games or he will make an offer!” joked Klopp.

16 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Lallana should be nowhere near.

Klopp would have sold him if he didn't rate him. People say that, but he will play.

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

“Adam is the kind of player he can play that and he enjoys this 'Jorginho' role – I hope (former Chelsea boss) Maurizio Sarri doesn't see the games or he will make an offer!” joked Klopp.

Klopp would have sold him if he didn't rate him. People say that, but he will play.

No one would pay money for him, his injury record and his age dictate that. He will leave on a free in the summer.

1 minute ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

No one would pay money for him, his injury record and his age dictate that. He will leave on a free in the summer.

Disagree. Someone could have bought Lallana. He has nowhere near the bad reputation, earned or not, that someone like Sturridge had. It's also fanciful to pretend like Klopp doesn't like him. He always has.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Disagree. Someone could have bought Lallana. He has nowhere near the bad reputation, earned or not, that someone like Sturridge had. It's also fanciful to pretend like Klopp doesn't like him. He always has.

Do you think Klopp likes him enough to give him a new contract? I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you Stacks.

5 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Do you think Klopp likes him enough to give him a new contract? I wouldn’t hold my breath if I were you Stacks.

No. Because he's in his 30's and because he's in decline. It's just the intelligent decision to let him go this summer.

That said, despite what people say, he still has ability, he's still useful. I think he's still a good complement to our other midfielders and with Fabinho out, I personally want him to be an option. I think his technical ability in tight spaces is valuable and I think it makes sense that he could be an option to play deeper due to his press resistance.

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I love Jurgen. He's the best manager there is in my opinion. Doesnt stop me complaining during games he's slow to make substitutions sometimes.

I think Im a better tackler than Lallana is and no way would he be able to play the defensible block in front of the defence. So, it's a no from me, Bob.

8 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

No. Because he's in his 30's and because he's in decline. It's just the intelligent decision to let him go this summer.

That said, despite what people say, he still has ability, he's still useful. I think he's still a good complement to our other midfielders and with Fabinho out, I personally want him to be an option. I think his technical ability in tight spaces is valuable and I think it makes sense that he could be an option to play deeper due to his press resistance.

He most assuredly is an option in midfield, as he showed at Old Trafford.

But not in the position where he was shown to be inadequate by Arsenal’s third team, floundering pacelessly in the wake of Danny Pillock, like Peter Reid pursuing Maradona in Mexico.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

I love Jurgen. He's the best manager there is in my opinion. Doesnt stop me complaining during games he's slow to make substitutions sometimes.

I think Im a better tackler than Lallana is and no way would he be able to play the defensible block in front of the defence. So, it's a no from me, Bob.

Football has moved on. It's not about tackling, it's about being disciplined in positioning. When Lallana plays there, you just reverse the roles of the midfield and have two runners ahead of him instead of two playmakers.

Chelsea do it with Jorginho being the playmaker behind Kante and Kovacic and Juve do it with Pjanic playing as the holding player behind Matuidi and Bentancur. Obviously, Lallana is not as good as Pjanic or Jorginho put it's a similar setup. And we have loads of athletic runners so we can do the same. That's what Klopp was saying when he said Lallana could play the Jorginho role. It's a different tactical option and I think it can be useful in our case with Fabinho out.

Mind you, I still think our best option now is Wijnaldum to play there because he's press resistant and he is very athletic, whereas Lallana is only the former, but I think Lallana is a legitimate option as a holding player. He played there recently against Villa too, this isn't coming out of nowhere.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Fabinho is a better passer of the ball than either Lallana and Jorginho and we always play with two runners as opposed to playmakers.

Agreed, Fabinho can do it all. But the reason I'm saying Lallana makes sense as a holding player is precisely because we always play runners who can compensate. If our midfielders were David Silva and Paul Pogba, Lallana would make no sense playing behind them.