You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Crystal Palace 1 Liverpool 2 (Nov 23 2019)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

A great man once wrote (and sang) “I’m feeling like a Monday but someday I’ll be Saturday night”. We’ve been Monday for a long time, but it’s Saturday night now and we’re partying. This is some historic shit we’re living through. We’ll be telling our grandkids about this team and their crazy match winning exploits.

There are all sorts of facts and stats I could throw at you here, about unbeaten runs, points totals over a rolling period of games (101 over the last 38 apparently), all the late winners etc. But there was something I saw on Twitter today which probably sums it up better than anything; in the last 18 months we’ve played in more Champions League finals than we’ve lost league games. Amazing. 

It’s mad. What we’re seeing is unprecedented in this country. No-one has done this before. Man City have matched (surpassed, actually) the run of league results but they didn’t have the European success running parallel with it. So yeah, what we’re seeing right now is historic.

The performance at Palace was mediocre to say the least. But we won. Again. It’s what this team does. All the time. Did we deserve it? Probably not, but you don’t get points based on performance. Sometimes you just can’t produce your normal level for a variety of reasons and when that happens most teams, even good ones, drop points. The very best teams don’t though. 

Palace will feel they merited a point and they may be right. When they equalised I certainly didn’t think we’d been hard done by and Klopp said as much too. It hadn’t exactly 'been coming' but it wasn’t a massive shock either. We’d had the chance to put them away but we hadn’t taken it and it looked like we might pay the price when we conceded with eight minutes left. Then we just rallied and won the game again. The resilience of this team is like nothing I can remember.

This is just a teaser, click to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £2 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 3

• dave u pinned this topic

More Champions League final appearances in the last 18 months than League losses.

That's fucking staggering.

Someone should post that little tidbit on Everton's GOT forum and see if they can just break the fucking Internet with fume levels.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the 3 teams trailing us would all just drop some points in the next game or two just to give us that little extra breathing space, but fuck it it's in our hands now and I doubt that anyone could have predicted how this season has unfolded thus far.  I get the impression there'll no letting up or blowing it, there's a calmness and focus about the team now, this is fully Klopp's team.  Traditionally we go up through the gearbox going into the New Year, so hopefully we can capitalize on that resilience in the meantime and enjoy the run down the home straight while handing out a few twattings for good measure and give a chance for people's fingernails to grow back a bit.

• Upvote 1

If anyone is baffled about how the Tories are on the brink of romping home in the upcoming election on their manifesto of inflicting more cruelty and malice on the populace, they could do worse than look at how almost every fan of a Premier League team is siding with Ben Johnson FC over Liverpool. I can understand it from supporters of Everton and Man Utd, with whom there is a long-standing direct rivalry - and even then, there are a few Man Utd fans who are sanguine about the prospect as they've had a good run and are against what Ben Johnson FC stands for - but what motivates supporters of the likes of (say) Wolves and Newcastle to want a club who are an embodiment of all that is evil in the world to triumph over Liverpool? The answer, I think, comes from politics. People in modern day Britain have bought into the notion that things are shit for them because people who are a little different from them, whether it be because of what they eat or the extent to which they will lie down and accept police/media malfeasance, are the source of all their woes and not because robber barons have brought about a situation where the participants, either in terms of sports teams or members of the labour force, are effectively serfs. I'm planning to move back to Liverpool in 2020, a move I resisted throughout 2019 partly because the England I moved to in 2001 is a very different place to England in 2019, a difference exemplified by bigots who were once on the fringe now being in the mainstream and sporting competition where the authorities are either unable or unwilling to do anything to apply the rules. Amidst all the negotiations that have taken place with my wife about the prospect of moving, we seem to agree on one thing - the idea that our little Irish boy is going to live anywhere in England other than Liverpool can get to fuck. 

• Upvote 7

I said before this game I doubt whether there is an opposition fan who has left the match after playing us saying, “ fair play, you’re a great side that deserves to win the league”.  Nothing changed here but, as Dave says, it would nice to have some good performances and comfortable wins to judge alongside our spirit and pragmatism. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, scudger99 said:

More Champions League final appearances in the last 18 months than League losses.

That's fucking staggering.

Someone should post that little tidbit on Everton's GOT forum and see if they can just break the fucking Internet with fume levels.

I'd feel a lot more comfortable if the 3 teams trailing us would all just drop some points in the next game or two just to give us that little extra breathing space, but fuck it it's in our hands now and I doubt that anyone could have predicted how this season has unfolded thus far.  I get the impression there'll no letting up or blowing it, there's a calmness and focus about the team now, this is fully Klopp's team.  Traditionally we go up through the gearbox going into the New Year, so hopefully we can capitalize on that resilience in the meantime and enjoy the run down the home straight while handing out a few twattings for good measure and give a chance for people's fingernails to grow back a bit.

Starting Sunday, Leicester have some piss easy games coming up before they play city and ourselves in the space of 5 days. They play everton (H), watford (H), Villa (A), Norwich (H). I cannot see them dropping any points before they play the two big games if Im honest and could be breathing down our necks seeing as our west ham game is postponed due to the Dubai jolly.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Starting Sunday, Leicester have some piss easy games coming up before they play city and ourselves in the space of 5 days. They play everton (H), watford (H), Villa (A), Norwich (H). I cannot see them dropping any points before they play the two big games if Im honest and could be breathing down our necks seeing as our west ham game is postponed due to the Dubai jolly.

There's the thing though, nobody would have seen Citeh or even the Blooshite (at home) dropping points to Norwich.

I can't see them winning all 4 of those games, although Leicester do have recent history of defying expectations.  I do see them drawing at least one of those.  And them drawing against city would be handy for us too.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, deiseach said:

If anyone is baffled about how the Tories are on the brink of romping home in the upcoming election on their manifesto of inflicting more cruelty and malice on the populace, they could do worse than look at how almost every fan of a Premier League team is siding with Ben Johnson FC over Liverpool. I can understand it from supporters of Everton and Man Utd, with whom there is a long-standing direct rivalry - and even then, there are a few Man Utd fans who are sanguine about the prospect as they've had a good run and are against what Ben Johnson FC stands for - but what motivates supporters of the likes of (say) Wolves and Newcastle to want a club who are an embodiment of all that is evil in the world to triumph over Liverpool? The answer, I think, comes from politics. People in modern day Britain have bought into the notion that things are shit for them because people who are a little different from them, whether it be because of what they eat or the extent to which they will lie down and accept police/media malfeasance, are the source of all their woes and not because robber barons have brought about a situation where the participants, either in terms of sports teams or members of the labour force, are effectively serfs. I'm planning to move back to Liverpool in 2020, a move I resisted throughout 2019 partly because the England I moved to in 2001 is a very different place to England in 2019, a difference exemplified by bigots who were once on the fringe now being in the mainstream and sporting competition where the authorities are either unable or unwilling to do anything to apply the rules. Amidst all the negotiations that have taken place with my wife about the prospect of moving, we seem to agree on one thing - the idea that our little Irish boy is going to live anywhere in England other than Liverpool can get to fuck. 

Football aside, would you say the social and people  differences between Liverpool and cities like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and others are so significant you’d have no problems raising your Irish lad in Liverpool, other cities being an absolute no? Interesting. Do you really feel the difference is that huge?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, JustTosh said:

Football aside, would you say the social and people  differences between Liverpool and cities like Manchester, Leeds, Sheffield and others are so significant you’d have no problems raising your Irish lad in Liverpool, other cities being an absolute no? Interesting. Do you really feel the difference is that huge?

Good question. If opportunity or necessity brought us to any of those places then I'd imagine we'd make it work. You'd have to, I guess. We're moving through choice though, and given the 'choice' Liverpool is unquestionably the most attractive location, and not just because of the football. I imagine we could carve out a niche for ourselves in Manchester, less so in Sheffield, Leeds or others and so on. And if she had proposed moving to Berkshire where she grew up with John Redwood as her MP...

• dave u unpinned this topic