You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Lovren: I had to start again

TLW

Dejan Lovren has discussed the mountain he had to climb to reclaim his spot in the Liverpool starting line-up.

Lovren had a 2018-19 season which was blighted by a number of niggling injuries that saw fall the Croatian fall well back in the pecking order to partner Virgil Van Dijk.

In football just like in life, you are bound to your ups and downs and it is how you respond from adversity which will dictate the direction that your career heads.

If you put in the hard work, more often than not you are bound to reap the rewards.

An injury to the incumbent in Joel Matip and Joe Gomez being in indifferent form allowed Lovren to return to the starting CB spot alongside the imperious Dutchman.

Lovren described his comeback plan to Sky Sports.

“I started from zero again to prove that I deserve to be in the first XI but that's football.

“When you've been out for months in the last season and didn't have so many minutes on the pitch, it's about restarting.

“ In pre-season, I did hard work behind the scenes and again, maybe it didn't start as well as I thought it would, but I've been speaking with the manager, been patient and sometimes it's easy to say that but not to do.

“ I did it in the end and everything came back... It's good to feel that you're important here again and this is what matters for every player."

For all intents and purposes, it appeared the veteran was heading to the exit door in the summer with a number of Italian clubs interested in his services.

It would have been more than understandable if the veteran wanted a fresh start especially as his Liverpool career has been anything but straight forward.

However his love for the club is undisputable.

lovren3_600.jpg

“ It's a big place to leave after everything I went through here. 

“There have been more positive days than the bad, especially after the Champions League final and the win was a big relief for me because I wanted to win something with this club, having been here for so many years.

“ I would ask myself if we didn't win, should I stay or not and there was some interest with some other clubs but I had a good conversation with the manager. 

“After that, the decision was easy so I had stayed and I think we are on the right path to do something big this season again.

Lovren was full of praise for the way that Gomez responded to the adverse crowd reaction he suffered from a group of England fans in their European qualifier againstMontenegro 

"I think he reacted well, to be honest.

"I've been speaking with him two or three days ago and asked about it and he was OK, positive and this is what is important for the club and his team-mates. 

“We are behind him and that's what he needs at the moment.

“He's an unbelievable man and player but it's aggravated everything about that and he didn't deserve it. 

“You're playing for the national team and he's there, giving his best so I don't think he deserved the boos."

View full article

When I first saw you
Something stirred within me
You were standing sultry in the rain
If I could've held you
I would've held you
Rip it up and start again

I hope to God you're not as dumb as you make out
I hope to God
I hope to God
And I hope to God I'm not as numb as you make out
I hope to God
I hope to God

And when I next saw you
My heart reached out for you
But my arms stuck like glue to my sides
If I could've held you
I would've held you
But I'd choke rather than swallow my pride

I hope to God you're not as dumb as you make out
I hope to God
I hope to God
And I hope to God I'm not as numb as you make out
I hope to God
I hope to God

And there was times I'd take my pen
And feel obliged to start again
I do profess
That there are things in life
That one can't quite express
You know me I'm acting dumb-dumb
You know this scene is very humdrum
And my favourite song's entitled 'boredom'

I said rip it up and start again
I said rip it up and rip it up and rip it up and rip it up and rip it up and start again

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Reclaim his spot?! Matip got injured. Hopefully he is straight back in because he’s so much better than Lovren it’s not even funny. 

In fairness to Dejan, Matip was comfortably 4th choice at the start of last season and only injuries to both Lovren and Gomez allowed for him to claim and keep that spot.

Just now, viRdjil said:

In fairness to Dejan, Matip was comfortably 4th choice at the start of last season and only injuries to both Lovren and Gomez allowed for him to claim and keep that spot.

Bullshit. He wasn’t fourth choice, he was injured or returning from injury. Lovren is shit and Matip isn’t. Get over it. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Bullshit. 

Please elaborate.

I see you’ve edited the post. I respectfully disagree with your post. Lovren was quite comfortably first choice in 2017/18 (alongside Virgil of course). Matip was nowhere near the team, and credit to him he knuckled down and worked his way back into the team.

8 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I still don't know if he is shit or not. Sometimes he looks really shit and sometimes he is like Baresi. 

He’s about a 7 out of 10 player IMO. However, his performance in Kiev probably was amongst the best centre back performances I’ve ever seen in my life time. Unfortunately as you said he has a couple of howlers in him, and because of the way he plays (always on the front foot), his mistakes often look worse than say when a more passive defender (like Matip) makes them. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

He played 25 times in the league alone, Van Dijk was only here for a dozen or so league games - not sure there were many times when he was available that he didn't play - he was injured from mid March

I thought Virgil joined us on 1 January?

Edit: you actually right, on,y 14 appearances, so Lovren was our most played central defender that season with 27. It would suggest they are all eventually pretty good when they are given a run of games.

• Upvote 1