You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Scousers on the beeb and even beyond

rb14

Really pisses me off. No such thing. The BBC is the worst culprit. I spend a lot of time listening to Radio 4 and with a couple of exceptions (Winifred Robinson - with a tiny bit of a scouse lilt and Roger McGough - with a tiny bit more) I almost NEVER hear a scouse accent. 

Scottish? Fuck me yes. If you're Scottish, you're nailed on for any fucking job presenting at the beeb. Irish too. Orla Guerin is as broad Irish as you can get and she's everyfuckingwhere. Geordies and brummies less so than the Scots and Irish, but many times more than us. Yorkshire? No problem. Mancs? Ditto. Cockneys? Here's your massive daily BBC pay check.

There's one extremely well-known scouse pundit on SkySports and alongside Winifred and Roger, they pretty much exhaust the Liverpool representation on mainstream broadcasting. 

Fucking fuck. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, rb14 said:

Really pisses me off. No such thing. The BBC is the worst culprit. I spend a lot of time listening to Radio 4 and with a couple of exceptions (Winifred Robinson - with a tiny bit of a scouse lilt and Roger McGough - with a tiny bit more) I almost NEVER hear a scouse accent. 

Scottish? Fuck me yes. If you're Scottish, you're nailed on for any fucking job presenting at the beeb. Irish too. Orla Guerin is as broad Irish as you can get and she's everyfuckingwhere. Geordies and brummies less so than the Scots and Irish, but many times more than us. Yorkshire? No problem. Mancs? Ditto. Cockneys? Here's your massive daily BBC pay check.

There's one extremely well-known scouse pundit on SkySports and alongside Winifred and Roger, they pretty much exhaust the Liverpool representation on mainstream broadcasting. 

Fucking fuck. 

Paul Hollywood was a very popular presenter on the BBC!

5 hours ago, rb14 said:

Fucking fuck. 

yer missing at least one other scouser from bbc radio - laurie taylor who has run the thinking allowed podcast for donkeys years, doesn't sound scouse, got sent to private school in the 1800's or something, but always comes across as a sound fella, proud of his roots, and a red.

Craig Charles is employed by BBC Radio 6, and Shelagh Fogarty who now works for LBC used to work for BBC Radio 5 Live, and though you wouldn’t know it from her RP accent, Jane Garvey who presents Woman’s Hour is from Crosby (though she is typical of most BBC News presenters in that she went to a private school). 

I do agree though that Scousers are underrepresented in the media. 

3 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

yer missing at least one other scouser from bbc radio - laurie taylor who has run the thinking allowed podcast for donkeys years, doesn't sound scouse, got sent to private school in the 1800's or something, but always comes across as a sound fella, proud of his roots, and a red.

He went to St.Marys in Crosby, where I was unfortunate enough to go to for 2 years in the 1970s. And yes he does come across as a sound fellah, often throws in a couple of good stories as well, one about being in a taxi with a mate abroad and the driver was going past the same place again and his mate said ( in Scouse voice "if you drive past this place again you and me are gonna be dancin but you wont know the tune....."

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, arthur friedenreich said:

You’re right, he has been around forever. 
He was a sociology professor when I was at university in York. Just checked...he’s 83

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Doesn’t exactly help the cause, does she?

I've got to say, I absolutely love her. Got WhatsApped that about a year ago and it still cracks me up. "Dave from Skem limbering up", "they can look at the boats" and "it's fuckin Sundee morning". She is awesome. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, redinblack62 said:

He went to St.Marys in Crosby, where I was unfortunate enough to go to for 2 years in the 1970s. And yes he does come across as a sound fellah, often throws in a couple of good stories as well, one about being in a taxi with a mate abroad and the driver was going past the same place again and his mate said ( in Scouse voice "if you drive past this place again you and me are gonna be dancin but you wont know the tune....."

28 minutes ago, Champ said:

You’re right, he has been around forever. 
He was a sociology professor when I was at university in York. Just checked...he’s 83

He always scores across as one of those sound, approachable, knowledgeable old boys and reminds me of me grandad (though better educated).

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

Have to be honest, unless it is the old style scouse accent I often cringe when I hear scousers on the telly. Nothing worse than people who put on their scouse accent. Just talk like you normally talk you fucccckkkhhhhin prrriiiiiick 

Jamie Carragher certainly doesn’t sound like John Lennon.