You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Tottenham sack head coach Mauricio Pochettino

Jennings

Well, well, well, what did I tell ye? Like a rat up a sewer pipe. They'll be a far tougher side when we get to play them away. Good thing is though, they'll be a tougher side for city to play against as well.

He clearly knows what his budget is going to be so I wouldnt let thoughts of 'he'll get no budget' cloud your thinking either.

Bizarre because as has been said many times - he loves spending money and Levy doesn't. One of them is going to have to rethink their views or it'll be a short appointment. Predictions:

• He always goes after a dressing room Big Dog on day one, puts his nose out of joint to show who's boss. My money is on Lloris - he'll be frozen out and arguing with Mou Mou via L'Equipe by Easter and no mistake.
  • He'll go balls deep to win the FA Cup. If he succeeds, that's his exit manifesto sorted - he'll be on Sky Sports covering Mancs/Spurs in a couple of years time, proudly pointing out his Community Shield and Europa League record at the mancs, and how he won more than Saint Poch in his time at Spurs and was "first Spurs manager in years to win major trophy." There'll be a mess of a financial legacy at Spurs as well and his successor will be working on a shoestring and he'll have done better than him too.

I was starting to enjoy him on punditry and I'd rather listen to him than Neville or Redknapp. Looks like the unlikely Wenger/Mou Mou bromance is over for the moment though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

If Poch had the balls to start an in form Moura in the Champions League final instead of a half fit Kane, given our under par performance, things may have been different.   

The illusion that Kane is a world class centre forward eclipses even the mega-hype that surrounded Rooney at times. 

He's good, dont get me wrong, but trying to play through him has hindered Spurs badly and has probably contributed to the stagnating careers of Alli, Erikksen etc     

2 hours ago, El Rojo said:

For all the talk of Pochettino being a huge talent as a manger, he's yet to actually win anything.

I find this argument a bit weird. He's done a ridiculous job with them and a did a great job with Southampton. If they had won the league cup and not gotten to the Champions League final it doesn't make him a better manager.

They've sacked him and he's going to get a bigger job out of it (possibly at a rival) and replaced him with someone who peaked about 10 years and to do what he has done in the past needs a bigger transfer budget than anybody to buy players in their peak before crashing after two years. This is very short sighted by them in my opinion and is only going to go one way. 

• Upvote 1

It's clear mourinho has for the most part, enjoyed spending big at the clubs he's managed with the exception of Porto. I dont know about his time at Inter whether he did or didnt.

But, as Porto showed, he clearly can or at least could, build a team not spending astronomical amounts.

It also seems logical to me that either he's gone there knowing he'll have a more limited budget or Levy is going to spend, spend, spend.

I cannot see Levy sanctioning big spending because of the cost of the stadium. He may have sanctioned a bit of a fire sale in January with all the money going to Mourinho but even then, it's doubtful much would be raised and it would clearly weaken the squad.

Despite that Mourinho appears happy to go along with it so, in my humble opinion, there's more to it than people are thinking. All this sacking and hiring just went through too quickly for their to be any issues about how much he has to spend blah, blah, blah.

7 minutes ago, RobbieOR said:

I find this argument a bit weird. He's done a ridiculous job with them and a did a great job with Southampton. If they had won the league cup and not gotten to the Champions League final it doesn't make him a better manager.

They've sacked him and he's going to get a bigger job out of it (possibly at a rival) and replaced him with someone who peaked about 10 years and to do what he has done in the past needs a bigger transfer budget than anybody to buy players in their peak before crashing after two years. This is very short sighted by them in my opinion and is only going to go one way. 

It's not short-sighted. For a long period of time, the results weren't good enough anymore and everyone involved seemed tired. Doesn't take away from the overall job he did, but it was time to move on.

I also don't get the fit just in terms of the personalities at play, but Mourinho will in all likelihood win them something which they are absolutely desperate for. The thing they have to ensure is that he doesn't leave a burning crater when he leaves, but if they were looking for someone to get something tangible out of a squad that has been built over a couple of years, there aren't many better people than Mou Mou to do that.

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, RobbieOR said:

Happy to be a weirdo if using trophies as a metric for judging a manager's success at big clubs (or clubs that aspire to be big) makes me one.  Doing 'a great job' at Southampton is irrelevant. 

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's not short-sighted. For a long period of time, the results weren't good enough anymore and everyone involved seemed tired. Doesn't take away from the overall job he did, but it was time to move on.

I also don't get the fit just in terms of the personalities at play, but Mourinho will in all likelihood win them something which they are absolutely desperate for. The thing they have to ensure is that he doesn't leave a burning crater when he leaves, but if they were looking for someone to get something tangible out of a squad that has been built over a couple of years, there aren't many better people than Mou Mou to do that.

He's the ultimate short sighted manager. Win at all costs. There is no long term plan with Mourinho, there never is. 

1 minute ago, El Rojo said:

Happy to be a weirdo if using trophies as a metric for judging a manager's success at big clubs (or clubs that aspire to be big) makes me one.  Doing 'a great job' at Southampton is irrelevant. 

Spurs aren't a big club, they shouldn't have been challenging for the trophies they were let alone winning them. 

Just now, RobbieOR said:

He's the ultimate short sighted manager. Win at all costs. There is no long term plan with Mourinho, there never is. 

I agree, but ultimately the building they have done over the last few years hasn't yielded anything. This is a move to ensure they at least have a bigger chance of winning something with the core of players they've had for a while.

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

He built something impressive there, regardless of what he didn't win. Klopp was on that knife edge of never winning anything here too, we shouldn't forget.

Anyway, now I've thought about it, I think Mourinho is a pretty natural replacement to Pochettino just on a "someone needs to come in and finish what was started" basis.

Just now, RobbieOR said:

Spurs aren't a big club, they shouldn't have been challenging for the trophies they were let alone winning them. 

They never really challenged for the league and their European run last year was fortuitous, to say the least. I think he's a decent and likeable fella, but I'm yet to be convinced that he's the elite-level coach that he's often portrayed as.

Anyway, from our own perspective,  I'd rather be playing a Spurs side managed by Pochettino in January than one managed by Mourinho.

11 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

It's clear mourinho has for the most part, enjoyed spending big at the clubs he's managed with the exception of Porto. I dont know about his time at Inter whether he did or didnt.

But, as Porto showed, he clearly can or at least could, build a team not spending astronomical amounts.

It also seems logical to me that either he's gone there knowing he'll have a more limited budget or Levy is going to spend, spend, spend.

I cannot see Levy sanctioning big spending because of the cost of the stadium. He may have sanctioned a bit of a fire sale in January with all the money going to Mourinho but even then, it's doubtful much would be raised and it would clearly weaken the squad.

Despite that Mourinho appears happy to go along with it so, in my humble opinion, there's more to it than people are thinking. All this sacking and hiring just went through too quickly for their to be any issues about how much he has to spend blah, blah, blah.

Mourinho has hit the panic button.  The longer you are out of football the harder it is to get back in.  He’s clearly had no interest from the bigger clubs since everyone seems to have realised he’s finished as a manager and is a complete arse hole.  Spurs are the top of the pile of clubs just below the big clubs.  The fans will get behind it to begin with because he can talk about trophies he won 10 years ago.  Whether Levy gives him 500m to spend or nothing is irrelevant really.  When it all comes crashing down, which it definitely will and sooner than people think, the excuse will be he wasn’t backed enough he should have been given more money than he was.

He will be moaning when the January window shuts.  It’s an absolute guarantee.

17 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I agree, but ultimately the building they have done over the last few years hasn't yielded anything. This is a move to ensure they at least have a bigger chance of winning something with the core of players they've had for a while.

If those core players were at their peak I'd see the logic but half of them are out of contract in the summer and seem past it anyway. Plus they don't have the money he will want or need. It seems a bizarre time to bring someone like him in.