You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Election 2019 - The TV Debates

Bjornebye

Just now, Mudface said:

Why? She got them into government and voted along with them. Enthusiastically it seems.

She backed coalition government policy as decided between the two parties. Not unusual for an MP who was a minister in the coalition government.

You're going to find out pretty soon that bashing her for being part of the coalition isn't quite the vote-grabber that you think it is.

Just now, Strontium Dog™ said:

She backed coalition government policy as decided between the two parties. Not unusual for an MP who was a minister in the coalition government.

You're going to find out pretty soon that bashing her for being part of the coalition isn't quite the vote-grabber that you think it is.

She won't even be leader by the end of January IMO 

I thought Corbyn was good, Sturgeon was excellent, Swinson got destroyed and Johnson had an uncomfortable time but got away pretty much un-scathed, unfortunately.

I actually think Swinson’s performance wasn’t the issue, she tried her best but it’s simply impossible for her to win a debate based on the questions she was asked.

Her past record basically fucked her and there was nothing she could do to prevent it from happening.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barry Wom said:

I did hear him use this line a month or two back. Then no time later he seemed to jump into this noncommittal position he was sticking to on Tuesday . Personally, I think it's a crap position. I know why he's doing it, but I struggle to believe labour would be able to negotiate a deal the majority of the country want when most of the cabinet would support stay and we're somehow to buy into it because Corbyn says he'll be neutral. 

Which position do you think he should pick mate?

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I thought Corbyn was good, Sturgeon was excellent, Swinson got destroyed and Johnson had an uncomfortable time but got away pretty much un-scathed, unfortunately.

I actually think Swinson’s performance wasn’t the issue, she tried her best but it’s simply impossible for her to win a debate based on the questions she was asked.

Her past record basically fucked her and there was nothing she could do to prevent it from happening.

Also “unilaterally revoke article 50” is just an impossible stance for someone to credibly defend...

Yeah, all Swinson's criticism was about the coalition. Apart from the loads of bits that weren't. Such as the opening question about her fantastical claims that she could be PM. Then there was the audience criticism of the revoke article 50 policy. A Lib Dem, not coalition, policy. Or how she appeared to be weaponising antisemitism to get out of answering an awkward question. Yep. Coalition that, too. Or the criticism of how the current, not in coalition, Lib Dems are turning off voters as they seem more interested in arguing with and slagging off other parties. 

That bloody coalition though, eh! 

Ifithadntvebeenfordacoalition... 

4 hours ago, viRdjil said:

2BC5BCF9-E9A6-4B4D-8B9F-62D411DEEDCC.jpeg

Okay, so I clicked on the trending topic you highlight there, and these were the first three tweets, by journalists from The Times, Sky News and podcaster Matt Forde.

It's just possible that people see what they want in these things, isn't it.

7 hours ago, viRdjil said:

Also “unilaterally revoke article 50” is just an impossible stance for someone to credibly defend...

It's really not.

We all know leaving the EU is going to damage our economy in the short term at least so it'd be for our own good to revoke it.

Having said that, Labour's stance on Brexit is the sensible one despite what the media are telling us.

These debates are not going to make a blind bit of difference. Most voters won't even have watched. On election day the hordes of mordor will lay seige to ballot boxes and vote brexit. It will be spun as a vote for Tory values and denouncement of the Labour manifesto but it's all bollocks. Tory means brexit and thats what we will get.

Interesting that ex CIA chief says it's dangerous to put Boris in number 10 under russian control. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Brownie said:

Which position do you think he should pick mate?

He's been fence sitting trying not to tell anyone quite how he feels about Europe since the outset. I think he should declare like the last referendum the party will get free direction in how they campaign. He needs to say what he wants us to do and back it. The 1st thing that jumped into my mind when he said something like "I will remain neutral, so it allows me to bring the country together afterwards which ever way the referendum goes", was "I'm not falling for the same trick as Cameron and losing my job if I fall the wrong side of the argument" . He will be prime minister. A prime minister needs to lead. He needs to have a position. He needs to take the position that he feels will be right to help deliver his policies for the country and his government. He can't be neutral. At this point I care little if his position is leave or remain, but he needs to have a point of view and he needs to bring forward his arguments on why he has that point of view. He doesn't want to because the Tories have a clearer Brexit policy so he doesn't want brexit on the agenda.  

From a personal point of view, whilst I was (am ?) an incredibly staunch remainer, I think the whole Brexit project is a fucking disaster, I genuinely believe we've gone past the point of no return with Europe. If we were to stay now, our voice would be drastically diminished because of everything that has happened the last 3 years. We'd be able to guide nothing in Europe. Brexit has already fucked us and now it's about achieving the best outcome from the shit position these Tory cunts have put us in. I would say this is a national crisis and the idea that a future prime minister can have no position on this I find absolutely impossible balance. We're going to need a very smart and creative solution to get us out of this mess. We're in this mess because a majority of "the people" didn't (and I believe still don't) know what they voted for last time. A position of "I'll go with whatever the people want" is just an absolute abdication of duty to me. 

• Upvote 2