You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Election 2019 - The TV Debates

Bjornebye

The first debate, between Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn, will take place on 19 November, and will be broadcast by ITV at 20:00. 

Sky News has proposed a debate between Mr Johnson, Mr Corbyn and the leader of the Liberal Democrats, Jo Swinson, to take place on 28 November.

The BBC has announced it will broadcast two election debate programmes, as well as a special aimed at younger audiences. Its coverage will include:

22 November: A Question Time Leaders' Special at 19:00, hosted by Fiona Bruce. Conservative, Labour, SNP and the Lib Dem party leaders will take questions from the audience

29 November: A live debate from 19:00 with figures from the seven major political parties in the UK - Conservatives, Labour, Lib Dems, Scottish National Party (SNP), Greens, Plaid Cymru and the Brexit Party

6 December: A live head-to-head debate between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn. This will be hosted by Today presenter and former BBC political editor Nick Robinson from 20:30

9 December: Emma Barnett will host a Question Time Under 30 special, focused on an audience made up of young voters. It will be broadcast from 20:30

I am hopeful that Corbyn takes Johnson to town about Russian meddling, Acuri and all his lies and general shitness. That said I know full well its just going to be infuriating watching the fat cunt lie and shout his way through the programmes repeating "get Brexit done" over and over until everyone gives up. The questions will no doubt be pre-selected in favour of the tories. Particularly the BBC debates. 

I'm glad Swinson isn't on the main ones because quite frankly what would be the point of having her there anyway. 

Not at all, I think a lot of people who miss the parliament stuff and a lot of the conferences because they are working etc need these debates. The blatant bias within them is shite though. I just hope Corbyn gets a fair crack at Johnson.

I'm really worried at how angry I am going to get. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

Nick Clegg looked really good in these once and then the Lib Dem’s lost seats. 

I would like to see Corbyn tie Johnson in knots though. Shouldn’t be to difficult. 

I remember the ones when Cameron got the Tories (and sidekicks) into power. Cameron stood up straight, looking smart and speaking with authority. Gordon brown slumped over looking like he had been on the ale all day. 

1 minute ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think it's nice that ITV are giving a chance to the parties that finished third and fifth in the last national election.

And the only two parties capable of winning the proper election. 

You won the auto-glass trophy lad fucking deal with it. Everton of politics. 

Boris will act the buffoon, Corbyn will look like a geography teacher that's flummoxed by his bluster and both will come out looking shite but people won't care or they'll big up their chosen teams performance. Thats my prediction anyway. It all seems a bit pointless as this is a brexit referendum. I'll swerve it.

Unless there's some seismic event involving the tories, I don't think these debates will make a blind bit of difference on how the vast majority are going to vote. 

Jennifer Arcuri could leak photos of Johnson doing her from behind while he's lighting cigars with £50 notes and he'd still get the vote over Corbyn.

• Upvote 1

One thought about the debates- they were started in 2010 when Brown agreed to them, presumably in desperation as he probably decided he had nothing to lose. Cameron dodged them in 2015 (at least in the 2010 format), as there was no advantage to him taking part in them. May swerved them in 2017, again she had a substantial poll lead (and was a terrible performer anyway).

So why has Johnson agreed to them? He has an apparently large poll lead so there's little to be gained there. If he thinks he's going to come over well, he's deluded, his unscripted appearances so far have been woeful and he's spent a large part of the campaign hiding away, I'd imagine on the orders of Cummings. Is he maybe worried that the lead in the polls is soft and wants to make sure it's shored up? Or am I grasping at straws here...?

Guest Pistonbroke
1 hour ago, Mudface said:

One thought about the debates- they were started in 2010 when Brown agreed to them, presumably in desperation as he probably decided he had nothing to lose. Cameron dodged them in 2015 (at least in the 2010 format), as there was no advantage to him taking part in them. May swerved them in 2017, again she had a substantial poll lead (and was a terrible performer anyway).

So why has Johnson agreed to them? He has an apparently large poll lead so there's little to be gained there. If he thinks he's going to come over well, he's deluded, his unscripted appearances so far have been woeful and he's spent a large part of the campaign hiding away, I'd imagine on the orders of Cummings. Is he maybe worried that the lead in the polls is soft and wants to make sure it's shored up? Or am I grasping at straws here...?

His Ego.