You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Election 2019 - The TV Debates

Bjornebye

30 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Said it a million times but of Corbyn was more of a bastard then Labour would walk this election. He is too nice. 

While you're right, I don't think that's the issue. I think he's too keen to stay on script. 

28 minutes ago, Brownie said:

It’s a deliberate strategy on his behalf, he won’t resort to personal attacks and he will use his time to sell Labour’s plans rather than attack theirs.

Just note how much time Johnson spends talking about Labour’s plans compared to JC talking about theirs.

They, as in the strategists, obviously think that people prefer that to sly personal digs.

You're right about how much time Johnson talks about labour, as it avoids talking about his own stuff. However, Corbyn had half a dozen open goals there. He doesn't need to be a cunt and get personal (although I think he should have rammed the islamophobia stuff down his throat), he just needs to be able to think quicker on his feet and he either can't or doesn't want to because he wants to just stick to what he's planned before. Tonight was his last chance to blow the doors open and it's passed without a whimper. 

Unfortunately I agree with Barry, every time Johnson mentioned investment Corbyn should have mentioned the reason for needing investment is because of 9 years of Conservative rule. That is not going low, just stating the major reason we need a change of government.

Johnson wants to disown the last 9 years and Labour shouldn't allow him too.

Out of interest I would like to know the amount of time each spent speaking, it seemed like Johnson was given lots of time to waffle and then ask Corbyn the same question or repeat the usual. Whereas Corbyn was short or cut short in most of his answers. 

11 minutes ago, Barry Wom said:

While you're right, I don't think that's the issue. I think he's too keen to stay on script. 

You're right about how much time Johnson talks about labour, as it avoids talking about his own stuff. However, Corbyn had half a dozen open goals there. He doesn't need to be a cunt and get personal (although I think he should have rammed the islamophobia stuff down his throat), he just needs to be able to think quicker on his feet and he either can't or doesn't want to because he wants to just stick to what he's planned before. Tonight was his last chance to blow the doors open and it's passed without a whimper. 

Was never going to happen mate, anyone hoping or expecting that were kidding themselves.

Just now, viRdjil said:

The right answer to the brexit question is obvious IMO: I’ll back my deal but whatever happens I will respect the result of the 2nd referendum. It’s a much easier position to defend

Nah, it would be all over the media that he’s a Brexiteer and those Lib Dem votes that Labour have clawed back over recent weeks would be gone. At best they’d probably get some of the leavers back but it wouldn’t result in anything different overall.

This has always been the best strategy.

He’s literally released two secret documents this week showing that the NHS is on the table during trade talks with the us and Northern Ireland is going to be absolutely fucked by Boris’ deal and the press have barely mentioned it, if at all. What more could you ask of him in terms of “blowing the doors off”. He’s not going to stand there having a slanging match with the gammon cunt so what do you expect? 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, moof said:

He’s literally released two secret documents this week showing that the NHS is on the table during trade talks with the us and Northern Ireland is going to be absolutely fucked by Boris’ deal and the press have barely mentioned it, if at all. What more could you ask of him in terms of “blowing the doors off”. He’s not going to stand there having a slanging match with the sentient ham so what do you expect? 

See I much prefer 'gammon cunt'. I know a few people have raised concerns over the term 'gammon' but 'sentient ham' just doesn't do the fucker justice. 

17 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wasn't in the country for the last election. How does it compare to the week before in 2017? It feels completely hopeless this time, did it feel like this when he was up against May?

Very much the same. May was a fuck up who avoided real scrutiny so the media gave her a pass. They forensically examined Corbyn, when they weren't accusing him of being a Czech spy, terrorist enabler, etc'. This time the fat fuckpig is getting the soft glove from the British media while the same, tired, unsubstantiated smears are being thrown at Corbyn.

This is the most retarded electorate I can remember and they're being led, like the fucking dogs that they are, to a Korean restaurant kitchen.

7 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I wasn't in the country for the last election. How does it compare to the week before in 2017? It feels completely hopeless this time, did it feel like this when he was up against May?

To be honest, it feels the same as 2017 to me.

Guest Pistonbroke

Johnson was hopeless, unfortunately his style will resonate with the thick bastards and the me me me brigade will always vote for what is better for them personally instead of realising a healthy economy and happy population might just be better for themselves in the long run. A lot of floating voters may have had their minds changed, unfortunately these meaningful debates like tonight is when everyone is at the fucking Bingo or down the pub and only read the fucking shite the media pedal the next day. You lot need to hope for a record turnout and the masses registering to vote are against Brexit and Tory lies, and not pro Brexit. If Johnson and the Tories win the joke about the UK (well England actually, as it won't take long for the Union to disintegrate) being the 51st State of Yankie Doodle Land will probably come to fruition. Plus you'll be like the new Dog in a pack, you'll get bummed. 

That was one of the most boring hours of anything I've seen in ages, should've skipped it. It seemed like a stalemate for me because even though Corbyn was easily the best on social issues we know the Brexit shitfest is one of the main subjects and Johnson asked several times who'd even be negotiating it for Labour and Corbyn couldn't answer. I think he did this effectively too when he said (can't remember exact times he said but roughly) "we're 40 minutes in and I/we still don't have an answer", "we're 50 minutes in and still don't have an answer", that if dragged out over time would've got worse. Johnson's main flaw there was not doing it from earlier on, glad he didn't.

Why couldn't Corbyn have simply said what MP's would be dealing with this either? Maybe Johnson would've attacked with him the line that remainers are negotiating an exit and how could that be credible. Why couldn't Corbyn explain why even as a neutral person it's still in his best interest to be one of the people getting the best deal possible for the welfare of the country? He didn't and avoided the direct answer, which seemed odd. We're weeks into the campaign, surely someone could've prepped him with a better response. So for every bumbling stupid fucking answer strawhead came up with or avoided the Brexit thing seemed to balance it out, along with a few other things that probably worked like bringing up automatic release for the terrorist.

Glad it's over. As good as Corbyn is with policies and vision (and just not being a complete cunt like Johnson) I crave him being a bit more like Bernie when debating and speaking, as he'd hit home with clearer points and be more effective.

When I say I thought it was a stalemate I don't mean that in a centrist way of I don't know who I thought was saying the better stuff for me personally. Of course Corbyn was fucking leagues ahead in that to me. I meant more of how effective I thought either of them were when it came down to saying things that made them appear better to people who've not decided, and I didn't see anything new or either of them clearly scoring big hits that caused problems for the other. That's maybe because I think people are used to Johnson waffling his way out of shit and that I think people just accept that at this stage and don't really care.

1 hour ago, Brownie said:

YouGov snap poll gives it to Johnson, 52% to 48%. Basically a draw, which I reckon is good for JC as he’s miles behind on individual ratings.

"Basically a draw" 

The same split after the referendum is being treated as a landslide.