You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Election 2019 - The TV Debates

Bjornebye

They just don't give a fuck, do they?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/19/tories-tweet-anti-labour-posts-under-

factcheckuk-brand

The Conservatives have been accused of misleading the public after they rebranded their official Twitter account as “factcheckUK” during the televised leaders’ debate and used it to publish anti-Labour posts.

The public have increasingly turned to factchecking websites, such as the independent Full Fact, the BBC’s Reality Check, Channel 4 News’ FactCheck and the Guardian’s Factcheck, to verify claims made by politicians.

During Tuesday night’s debate between Boris Johnson and Jeremy Corbyn, the Conservative party renamed their main media account as “factcheckUK”, changed its logo to hide its political origins, and used it to push pro-Conservative material to the public.

Although the Twitter handle remained as @CCHQPress, all other branding was changed to resemble an independent factchecking outlet, meaning it may not have been immediately apparent to an individual who saw the account’s tweets in their feed that it was a product of Conservative party HQ.

On clicking through, they would have seen a disclaimer that factcheckUK was “fact checking Labour from CCHQ”, ” the acronym for Conservative campaign headquarters.

Shortly after the debate finished the Twitter account name was changed from factcheckUK to CCHQ Press.

Full Fact, which is run by a charity, said it had complained to Twitter and said the account should not be allowed to be used in this way while verified. “It is inappropriate and misleading for the Conservative press office to rename their Twitter account ‘factcheckUK’ during this debate. Please do not mistake it for an independent fact checking service.”

A tweet from the Conservative party press account, relabelled as factcheckUK

Lying appears to be very much worth it in our contemporary politics. You just apologise or pretend it didn't happen and that's the end of the matter.

It's precisely why Corbyn needs to be more of a cunt. He has to hammer it in to the conscious of the British public that Boris Johnson is a compulsive liar. Because the stories stay in the press for about a day otherwise.

As someone else mentioned, he needs a list of Johnson's half dozen biggest lies and it needs to be read out by a Labour MP every single day on telly.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

Lying appears to be very much worth it in our contemporary politics. You just apologise or pretend it didn't happen and that's the end of the matter.

It's precisely why Corbyn needs to be more of a cunt. He has to hammer it in to the conscious of the British public that Boris Johnson is a compulsive liar. Because the stories stay in the press for about a day otherwise.

As someone else mentioned, he needs a list of Johnson's half dozen biggest lies and it needs to be read out by a Labour MP every single day on telly.

Johnson being a liar won't be a problem for voters in this election. It'll be the next one when Brexit is proven to be the big turd it actually is. Everyone knows he's liar, it's just that 35-40% of the electorate don't care.

1 minute ago, skend04 said:

Johnson being a liar won't be a problem for voters in this election. It'll be the next one when Brexit is proven to be the big turd it actually is. Everyone knows he's liar, it's just that 35-40% of the electorate don't care.

You wouldn't need many of them to change that opinion for it to be significant.

I'm just saying Corbyn taking the high ground and not taking these opportunities to hammer home simple messages (for a simple public) is infuriating to watch.

2 minutes ago, Jairzinho said:

You wouldn't need many of them to change that opinion for it to be significant.

I'm just saying Corbyn taking the high ground and not taking these opportunities to hammer home simple messages (for a simple public) is infuriating to watch.

Totally agree. Even though I don't see it making a difference there were open goals like mentioning Johnson hosting dinners for US firms interested in the NHS that was tweeted by Led by Donkeys yesterday. Corbyn has just been dialling it in for several years now. 

7 minutes ago, Mudface said:

It's OK, Laura has called them out big time-

'Daft'. Not deliberately trying to mislead the electorate from a verified account as everyone else, including Twitter, have said. Just 'daft'.

She got away with smearing Corbyn a couple of years ago, there’s no reason for her to hide her bias now.

I couldn't make it all the way through the debate. Fuck me, I was expecting Corbyn to do much better than he did. It was like a football match where both teams lost. And BTW, not having an answer for 'what do you want personally' makes Corbyn look a right twat. It's an easy home run for the Tories and makes him look untrustworthy to both fucking sides. 

3 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

This strategy missing from Labour campaign. Like it or not (in this case not) the Cons have learnt from last few major elections worldwide and what wins. Lies,lie,lie again and when it doesn't happen apologise or blame someone else. Don't get the labour approach forget about trying to make Corbyn look like a statesman that ain't going to happen. The one thing from last night was that the public don't trust BJ as you say this needs to be driven home make it personal. There will be no negative press because he is a serial liar. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I couldn't make it all the way through the debate. Fuck me, I was expecting Corbyn to do much better than he did. It was like a football match where both teams lost. And BTW, not having an answer for 'what do you want personally' makes Corbyn look a right twat. It's an easy home run for the Tories and makes him look untrustworthy to both fucking sides. 

I kind of agree with you. The right answer is very straightforward i.e. “I will vote for my deal, but if the people want to remain instead then I will respect that”.

1 hour ago, Scooby Dudek said:

Every media outlet only going with YouGov. 

That most bias of polls is the only one they ever use. 

Well the other ones were Twitter polls, not really worthwhile as you can't determine the make up of the respondents or even whether they've voted multiple times with different accounts. I don't think YouGov is actually biased, they just seem to have some flaws in their methodology.

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

The YouGov poll results were released at 18:50. The debate started at 20:00

giphy.gif

Heh, I think is based on the timestamp on their web page reporting the results. I'd imagine they created the page in advance and then published it once the results were in following the debate. 

4 hours ago, viRdjil said:

I kind of agree with you. The right answer is very straightforward i.e. “I will vote for my deal, but if the people want to remain instead then I will respect that”.

That's not the answer to the question what do you want personally, though?

Host " Ok I'd like each of you to explain to me why Shakespeare is so loved"

Johnson - "Get Brexit Done! rar!" 

Corbyn "Well erm I'd like to think because he wrote some excellent things" 

Swinson "everything I say is a lie!"

Farage " I'd like to share a bottle of wine with my old chum Johnson to discuss whats in it for me" 

Sturgeon " What a stupid question, I'll kick your cunt in"