You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Mignolet: No regrets about Liverpool exit

TLW

Simon Mignolet has said the time was right for him to leave Liverpool in the summer as he didn’t see a consistent playing role at the club.

Mignolet has six seasons at the Reds where he made over 200 appearances in total.

The first three seasons saw the Belgian as the undisputed Number 1 between the sticks, but it was when Jürgen Klopp chose to bring in some competition that Mignolet found appearances harder to come by.

While you sense Mignolet would have been content to stay at the club if he was competing with Loris Karius, it was when Klopp saw fit to sign the World Class talent in Alisson that things changed for the 31 year-old.

The Echo (via H et Belang van Limburg reported Mignolet as saying:

“If I could really fight for my place, I might have stayed. 

“But if I had ended up in goal if Alisson picked up an injury, I would be allowed to push ten shots out of the box.

“Then Alisson could immediately claim his place again. 

“And even if he pushed the ball into his own goal, he would still retain [his place in the starting XI]. 

“What sense did it make for me?”

Mignolet has seen Liverpool’s continued development this season from afar, but he has no regrets over his decision to leave in his quest for first team Football where he
 has made 20 appearances for his new team Club Brugge in all competitions this season.

image.png

"No, because I knew that the opportunity existed.

“I haven’t thought once: ‘S**t, now Liverpool is in the Premier League race and I’m gone.

“Of course, I could have stayed with Liverpool to earn my money, challenge for the league title and the Champions League.

"However, as long as you are not on the starting XI yourself, a price feels different. 

“So I would rather play in the starter at Club Brugge than grabbing the English title as a substitute at Liverpool."

It is admirable logic by the veteran as many players in his position would have been very comfortable to stay and pick up a healthy wage.

View full article

I daresay when he came to Liverpool he thought he would become a top class keeper. Must have been tough to realise he wasn't good enough. I'm more annoyed that Karius was brought in and Klopp persevered with him for so long . If Mig is happy playing in Belgium then good luck to him.

Those comments typify this clown's attitude - basically saying there that if he was playing out of his skin and Alisson was having a Mignolet run of form, then Klopp wouldn't pick him anyway as he made his mind up, ignoring the fact that this is total bollocks and the reason he was so much overlooked, even for Karius, was because he was shite. And a blurt.

His celebration of an international cap while the attack on the Bataclan was going on was the big signal about what a self obsessed weapon this lad is. So glad he's fucked off.

45 minutes ago, belarus said:

Those comments typify this clown's attitude - basically saying there that if he was playing out of his skin and Alisson was having a Mignolet run of form, then Klopp wouldn't pick him anyway as he made his mind up, ignoring the fact that this is total bollocks and the reason he was so much overlooked, even for Karius, was because he was shite. And a blurt.

His celebration of an international cap while the attack on the Bataclan was going on was the big signal about what a self obsessed weapon this lad is. So glad he's fucked off.

Spot on. He just came across as a complete tit there. He had years not to be a shite goalie and that is why he was on the bench. He just be a bigger tit than I gave him credit for if he can't see the difference between him and Alisson. And if he was any use at all, he'd not be playing in Belgium either. 

4 hours ago, El Rojo said:

Maybe he could have been more diplomatic, but what he says is true, Alisson would always have taken the shirt once he was fit.

The main reason to this being that Alisson would still be acting and carrying himself like Alisson no matter what his form was and Mignolet would still act and carry himself like Mignolet no matter what his form was. 

It's telling that going in to his peak years he's left the best team in Europe playing in the richest league in the world to go back to a sub standard team in a sub standard league.

Wonder where Alisson would go if he left right now.