You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sterling: Booing Joe was wrong

TLW

Raheem Sterling has spoken strongly in defence of Joe Gomez after he was inexplicably booed by so-called England fans in their 7-0 rout of Montenegro at Wembley on Thursday evening.

In a continuation of a story that has stretched through the whole week, Gomez was subject to a less than accommodating reaction when the defender came on for Mason Mount in the 70th minute.

Sterling was not selected for the clash after his altercation with Gomez on Monday, but he was seen to be applauding the Liverpool defender when he stepped onto the pitch.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain set the tone for the rout with an early goal and the hosts followed on from there, sealing their qualification for Euro 2020 with the comprehensive victory.

In the aftermath. Sterling took to Twitter to condemn the actions of those who took part.

“Joe hasn't done anything wrong and for me to see someone who keeps his head down and work hard…especially after a difficult week for him to be booed when he came on tonight was wrong.

“I've taken full responsibility and accepted the consequence. I felt as though I had to say this.

In speaking to Sky Sports, England manager Gareth Southgate was at a loss to explain what had taken place.

gomez5_600.jpg

“ I don't understand it because no England player should ever be booed. 

“We're a team and Joe has done nothing wrong.

“ I've made that clear earlier in the week so I don't understand that. Raheem and him are very close and the whole team are very close so we don't want to see anybody treated in that way.

"I'm sure [I'll talk to him] because as a young man that's an upsetting experience so the reason for putting him on was that he's been with us September, October, we haven't got him into the game and tonight was an opportunity to do that."

However Southgate stopped short of sending a pointed message to the supporters.

“No, it's done, it's done we move on. I've said what needs to be said, it's for me now to make sure that Joe's okay."

Leicester midfielder James Maddison also wanted to show his support for the 22 year-old.

“Joe's a strong boy, a strong-minded boy. I'm not sure why they were booing, whatever the reason, that's behind him. 

“He's a strong-minded boy, as I said, so he won't let that affect him."

One thing is for certain, Joe will be given a rousing round of applause the next time he steps onto the Anfield pitch.

View full article

The press and Sterling team hung Gomez out to dry. The past two days of poor Raheem the victim of relentless booing and Liverpool painting him the villain in getting his agent to talk shit about the club to force through a move to City. He obviously had nothing to do with it and wages played no factor at all

He's a diving, cheating cunt who has just motivated the entire Liverpool squad to destroy him and his corrupt teammates. For him to get three threads on a Liverpool FC website is the World Wide Web's equivalent of a backheel to the bollocks.

1 hour ago, moof said:

I hate Liverpool players playing for England. Always have, always will. They should all take Milner’s lead

I can recall being proud of our players being selected. Those days are long gone. 
. Partly political as I don’t want any association with Brexit flag waving Xenophobes and partly because the players are exploited as fund raisers for the FA and regularly injured in the process 

would support a Great Britain team but brand “ Ingurland” is poisonous 

When I started watching the Reds in the early 60s, there was none of this animosity towards England. Players being selected for England was a sign of the club's progress from second tier to champions. The disconnect began more from the London press who never got over Jimmy Greaves not playing in the world cup final and since they could hardly take it out on Geoff Hurst, who actually replaced him, Roger Hunt was targeted instead. It spread to the fans in our glory years of the 70s and 80s, when our players couldn't save dismal England teams from misery.'Why can't they turn it on for England as they do for Liverpool', was the question. The obvious answer that for Liverpool they were having to play with the likes of Carlton Palmer seemed to escape press and fans alike.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

When I started watching the Reds in the early 60s, there was none of this animosity towards England. Players being selected for England was a sign of the club's progress from second tier to champions. The disconnect began more from the London press who never got over Jimmy Greaves not playing in the world cup final and since they could hardly take it out on Geoff Hurst, who actually replaced him, Roger Hunt was targeted instead. It spread to the fans in our glory years of the 70s and 80s, when our players couldn't save dismal England teams from misery.'Why can't they turn it on for England as they do for Liverpool', was the question. The obvious answer that for Liverpool they were having to play with the likes of Carlton Palmer seemed to escape press and fans alike.

My dad attended both the 1965 FA Cup and 1966 World Cup Finals. To this day, he can barely separate them, ‘65 at a push. However, he hasn’t been arsed about England for decades. Mexico 1970 was the last time he really cared about the national team.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/11/15/joe-gomez-left-devastated-wembley-boos-gareth-southgate-seeks/

England manager Gareth Southgate sought out devastated Joe Gomez and his family late on Thursday night to offer further support after he was booed by Wembley fans in the Euro 2020 qualifier against Montenegro.

And Telegraph Sport understands that team-mates of Gomez believed he was first jeered when he was warming up on the Wembley touchline as a substitute, before the loud boos echoed around the stadium when he was sent on in the 70th minute.

Gomez and his team-mates were left stunned and angry by the reaction of the crowd in the aftermath of the attack by Raheem Sterling that meant the Manchester City star sat out England’s 1000th game.

Southgate publicly backed Gomez and condemned the booing immediately after the match that clinched England’s qualification, but felt it necessary to spend more time with the player after completing his media duties to check on the 22 year-old’s well-being and reiterate his backing.

England coach Chris Powell, who has known Gomez since his days as a youngster at Charlton Athletic, also spent time with the Liverpool defender after the game as the squad and coaching staff rallied around him.

Gomez was booed on to the pitch by England supporters, when he was introduced as a second-half substitute, to cap what has been an incredibly difficult week for the Liverpool defender after he was attacked by team-mate Sterling.

There had been some suggestions that the booing could also have been for Sterling, as his picture was shown on the large screens when Gomez entered the pitch.

But it is understood that pockets of booing had already been heard when Gomez was warming up, which outraged his fellow substitutes at the time.

Southgate, England’s players and Football Association staff have been hugely impressed by the way Gomez put the country’s interests over his own in dealing with the incident.

The full facts of what happened at St George’s Park have been kept private by Gomez, who still has a scratch under his eye, and Sterling has apologised after being punished with a one-game ban.

The 22-year-old’s fiance Tamara was inside Wembley to witness the booing with their baby son Kyrie, who had been taken to his first England game.

Other members of his family and friends were also present and they waited for Gomez, who was said to be incredibly low and confused over why he had been scapegoated.

Sterling took to Twitter to reiterate that Gomez had done nothing wrong and that he should not have been booed, a message backed by captain Harry Kane.

England’s players would now like Southgate to start both Gomez and Sterling against Kosovo on Sunday in what has become a dead-rubber in terms of Euro 2020 qualification.

Southgate has already promised Sterling will make an immediate return to his team after serving his ban and England players now believe the ultimate show of unity would be for Gomez to start in the same team as him.

Gomez will continue to receive the support of Southgate, his coaching staff and his England team-mates over the course of the next 48 hours in the build-up to the Kosovo clash.

Guest Pistonbroke
14 hours ago, Grinch said:

This one game ban shite annoys me more every time I read it. 

The rat was kept in the squad and rested for one game, zero punishment for an act that would have him sacked and arrested in the real world. 

He's going to crawl out of the shit pile smelling of roses n all. I'm not sure how he'll handle things at away grounds this season, plenty of fans are going to have a pop at him now, not all clubs are followed by the same shit fans who follow England. 

The media has created a monster. They were looking around for a poster boy for an anti-racism campaign and - with the enthusiasm of Sterling's agent, who himself was looking to improve his client's image - they chose him. And they proceeded to erase all flaws so that St Raheem could be born. And now any criticism of him is racist and he cannot be seen to be wrong. Take his 'applause' for Gomez coming on the other night: he was clearly sitting in front of a TV monitor; he made no move to applaud Gomez until he glanced at the monitor and saw the camera was on him. He knows what game to play. Meanwhile his agent was busy briefing the Express that 'sources close to Sterling' blame Liverpool for ALL the negativity he's experienced since his move. And as for a blatant wrong turn, when Gomez did nothing and he attacked him, the media can only cope by depicting it as 'unfortunate for all concerned' or even insinuating that it might not even have been St Raheem's fault. It's a profoundly cynical process.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke
2 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Gomez and Henderson both left the England squad , Injury & Illness respectively

I have a feeling Gomez isn't injured. Probably due to the booing and the fact England have already qualified. So why risk more agitation when it will all be forgotten about pretty soon as far as the national team goes. Hopefully Henderson just has a slight cold. 

On 15/11/2019 at 04:31, TLW said:

Raheem Sterling has spoken strongly in defence of Joe Gomez after he was inexplicably booed by so-called England fans in their 7-0 rout of Montenegro at Wembley on Thursday evening.

Not really "inexplicable" is it?

Irrelevant knuckle-dragging shitbags from no-mark towns affect a hatred for Liverpool because they think it will help them fit in with the cool kids.

As Carragher said "Fuck it. It's only England."