You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Silva gets a 1 game ban.

dockers_strike

1 game. That is all.

Bernardo Silva has been handed a one-match ban and fined £50,000 for an offensive tweet sent to Manchester City team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

Silva and City had been left in limbo following the player's initial charge in September. 

Silva sparked controversy when he posted a photo of Mendy as a child next to an image of the black cartoon mascot for Spanish chocolate peanut brand Conguitos with the message: 'Guess who?' 

Mendy appeared to take the joke in good spirit but Silva still came in for plenty of criticism and the Portugal international then later tweeted: 'Can't even joke with a friend these days... you guys.' 

The FA said the tweet had committed an 'aggravated breach' of the football body's rules and means he now misses City's Premier League fixture against Chelsea on November 23.

A statement from the FA on Wednesday afternoon read: 'Bernardo Silva has been suspended for one first-team competitive fixture, fined £50,000 and must complete face-to-face education after admitting a breach of FA Rule E3.

'The Manchester City midfielder's social media activity on September 22, 2019 breached FA Rule E3(1), as it was insulting and/or improper and/or brought the game into disrepute, and constituted an 'aggravated breach', which is defined in FA Rule E3(2), as it included reference, whether expressed or implied, to race and/or colour and/or ethnic origin.'

Silva was saved from a six-match ban or longer that typically follows a breach of this nature because the offence happened on social media. 

City have chosen not to appeal but privately are annoyed that Silva has received a ban altogether as the FA did accept the tweet was not intended to be racist.

A statement added: 'This Commission is not bound to pass a suspension of at least six matches for this aggravated breach by reason of the fact that the communication was via social media.'

I think a 1 match ban in reasonable in the circumstances.

The fishy part is that the verdict was delayed until after we played City. But that's obviously backfired, as we beat them with Silva in the side anyway, and now they have to do without him in a must-win match against Chelsea.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I think a 1 match ban in reasonable in the circumstances.

The fishy part is that the verdict was delayed until after we played City. But that's obviously backfired, as we beat them with Silva in the side anyway, and now they have to do without him in a must-win match against Chelsea.

Agreed.

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

So they have banned him for less time than Harvey Elliot got!

They announced in the summer that anyone found guilty of racist abuse would get a minimum ban of 6 games!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49178952 

Which is why they said they believe that the Tweet was not meant to be Racist but broke rule blah de blah.  

Guest Pistonbroke
6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

They either say it is racist or it isn't. What is the ban for if they don't think it is racist? 

They are using their rule book to be seen as doing something. They claim he broke rule E3(2) which is probably having too many additives in your sweeties. 

Guest Pistonbroke

The sentence 'Silva was saved from a six-match ban or longer that typically follows a breach of this nature because the offence happened on social media.' is kind of iffy, being as young Elliott's piss take of Kane was on Social Media and he got a 14 day ban. He also admitted to breaking rule E3.  

Take away what team and level the player is playing at.

14 day ban means they miss at least 2 matches and highly likely 3.

A 1 match ban....is a 1 match ban. 

I intend to have no opinion on this whatsoever.

if people like Kick it out choose to have one, I’ll be open to listening to it, otherwise it’s not for me to care.

im glad he’s been punished, as I feel what he did was wrong, but I’m not arsed whether the punishment is harsh enough

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I intend to have no opinion on this whatsoever.

if people like Kick it out choose to have one, I’ll be open to listening to it, otherwise it’s not for me to care.

im glad he’s been punished, as I feel what he did was wrong, but I’m not arsed whether the punishment is harsh enough

This.   Bored of the whole thing tbh

2 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

So they have banned him for less time than Harvey Elliot got!

They announced in the summer that anyone found guilty of racist abuse would get a minimum ban of 6 games!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49178952 

You forgot the last line : As long as they don't play for Manchester city,  happy to help 

• Upvote 1